Stressing about a Hellcat

8 hours ago, Murdo said:

Hi Jamie,

Is the cutting mat slightly grooved along the strips or do you use a (very) small rule to get them so thin? They do seem beautifully regular strips.

Hi,

The cutting mats have laser engraved grooves and are utterly, utterly brilliant for this sort of thing. So long as your scalpel blade is vaguely sharp you just whizz around whichever shapes you want. I say that as a serious sceptic who reluctantly accepted some samples then wondered how I ever lived without. I use the reverse side for cutting and working with PE.

• Thanks 1

Hello Jamie,

the cutting mats a and b have been ordered, and the effect looks dead convincing, should work for the 'walked on' look by masking the centre of a panel and raising the rib area with a couple of layers of undercoat and/or aircraft primer and metalic paint.

Box On

Strickers

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Jamie,

Very successful exercise, intending to use this on the fuse of my SH Sunderland MkV as seen at Hendon. Should look good on a dirty white ground.

Top tip

Stickers

Wow the paint looks great who makes it and where do you get it 😃.

genuinely looks really good, I like the stressed look you have achieved, from my side of the internet its nice and subtle!

great work!

Rob

After a general polish to see if it's worth continuing we have this:

resized_2953b0e9-c928-4fff-9fc4-f56bdb91

resized_7da0f04d-90a8-4a06-9340-ba579e84

resized_3a44fd59-91f3-48fa-bc0d-2acbf8a3

resized_8d1fd435-50cb-4701-bc42-97c31d94

There are probably still refinements I'd like to make on the fuselage in particular (specifically, learning how to augment the distortion of the skins to portray shear loads which look like diagonal buckling) but overall I'm fairly pleased.

• Like 11