Monogram 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk IB

I had not planned on posting this model here due to its age and lack of detail, but with so many other recent Typhoon threads showing just magnificent models, I decided I would show one that isn't that great.  I have no idea just how old this kit is; I know it was issued in the early 1970s at least.  So, it won't have the features found on today's great models.   But, perhaps we can see how much improvement manufacturers have made since then?   At any rate, she is what she is and represents both an earlier era in scale model kits, and my earlier attempts at building them too.🙂

Some of these pics were taken at the Cameron airport, but some were also taken at another small-town airport in neighboring Rockdale, Texas. The airport there once belonged to a local millionaire, H. H. Coffield. He had a bunch of WWII planes out there at one time including a couple B-25s and a few C-47s too. Supposedly he had hired an ex-Luftwaffe flyer to run a, ahem, "crop dusting" operation in South America...oookayy.  😉

There are two hangars and a pilot's lounge there. One of the hangars is very old (supposedly of WWII vintage) and makes a neat background. I met a couple really nice local pilots and had an enjoyable afternoon taking photos of several model planes. It was quite windy at the Rockdale airport though, and the Typhoon almost blew away a few times and the canopy did fly off several times. I put the plane away and came back to Cameron where it was a little less windy for more pics.

The model is the old Monogram 1/48 scale Typhoon Mk IB. It was built more than twenty years ago now but had never been photographed before its trip to Rockdale a few years back.  I did add some radiators underneath from an old '60s model car. The paint was Model Master and Humbrol enamel sprayed with my Paasche H. I used Parafilm for the first and only time for the masking. Other than that, it's just OOB Monogram from "back in the day". 

I appreciate your interest and thanks for taking a look at the old girl! 😀

portfrontgood.jpg

sbfrontgood.jpg

portfrontfields.jpg

portfullwindsock.jpg

portfront.jpg

portfromrear.jpg

sbfromrearfueltanks.jpg

sbfrontfarther.jpg

portfrontrockdalegood.jpg

portfromfrontyellowfilter1.jpg

sbfullwithhangar.jpg

overhead1.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 30

Great job on the Monogram oldie Gary,still a good looking simple build (for those not wanting to pay the price of Hasegawa's excellent kit)

that really does look a cracker!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Great job on the Monogram oldie Gary,still a good looking simple build (for those not wanting to pay the price of Hasegawa's excellent kit)

that really does look a cracker!

Thank you Steve!  😀 Great comments! :worthy:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chris148 said:

Great looking build with nice photo's 👍

Thanks chris! 🍺

16 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build of an old kit. Even with the missing detail it still stands out as a good build when done well like this one.

Very kind words Greg!  So appreciated by this old mode maker! 

16 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice, I do not know what detail is missing?

Thank you too Steve!   Well, I'd say the landing gear, cockpit, weapons load, and exhaust areas would surely be better represented in a Hasegawa or Eduard current kit of the Typhoon.  And that's not to mention the raised panels all over the Monogram. Umut and sprue have beautiful Tiffies from those manufacturers showing now on the first page of "Ready for Inspection".  Still, Monogram brings some goodness, not bad for a 50 year old kit, eh? 😀

Thanks again Steve!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Certainly captures the aggressive look of the Tiffie, especially in those nice low pics from the front.

And looks good, too!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Those are my favorite poses as well Joachim!  Thanks so much for the kind words sir! 🍺😀

12 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Scrubbed up nicely. 

Monogram kits were were always top quality and always had nicely sculpted crew figures. 

Pete

Yes sir Pete, they were a good deal for the money weren't they?  Thanks for your comments! 

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As an honorary member of the Monogram Mafia i say well done sir ! :thumbsup:

Heh, heh, ol' Hans would be proud, no?  I hadn't thought of the "Monogram Mafia" in a long time dude; gave me a big smile, it did!  Thanks so much; for the grins and the compliment too. 😎

Thank you all for the great comments on my Typhoon!   Kind words for such an old model really are nice.  :worthy:

• Like 1

The old girl looks great, Gary, and I think you did a smashing job on her!  It's a nice model for its age and you have every right to be proud of your skills from two decades ago.

It always seems to be windy where you live, though.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

The old girl looks great, Gary, and I think you did a smashing job on her!  It's a nice model for its age and you have every right to be proud of your skills from two decades ago.

It always seems to be windy where you live, though.....

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  I appreciate the support and kind words.  As for skills, well, I'm not too sure my meager modeling skills have improved a whole lot over the years.  Hopefully so, but I still have the uncanny knack for futzing up any build at some point, lol.  As I get older, my eyesight and finger dexterity aren't getting better.  I'm on the cusp of a new armor build and a new aircraft model as well.  We'll soon see if I can still pull off a good model from those kits.  I have so many really great unbuilt models "taunting" me from the shelves in my study.   Many theme projects have come to me over the years, ie. "World War II medium bombers" (yep, bought three or four of those), "Golden Age bi-planes" (oh man, did I go wild with those Classic Air kits!😉) and the ever-popular (with me anyway!) "Fifties jets", an era of flight I truly love.    It's a race with the Reaper now to see how many will be finished now! 😁

I live less than 5 minutes from our little municipal airport.  Many times, I've loaded up models and photo gear and driven out there only to return home after seeing that windsock standing straight out.   The tricycle-geared airplanes always have enough ballast in the front that they are secure in the breeze.  Tail-draggers like this Typhoon, not so much.   They will skid away and blow off the table, and I've had canopies fly off onto the real tarmac out there!  Eeeek! 😮   Yep, it's often windy here in Texas, and that's not just the weather either...:blah:

Thanks again brother! :worthy:

Thanks for posting these pictures, the model looks great.  And in particular it shows that you do not have to spend a lot to enjoy this hobby and get great results, you just need patience and skill, which comes with practice.  Anyway, great kit you have here and in particular the decals came out great.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Thanks for posting these pictures, the model looks great.  And in particular it shows that you do not have to spend a lot to enjoy this hobby and get great results, you just need patience and skill, which comes with practice.  Anyway, great kit you have here and in particular the decals came out great.  

I appreciate that Harold!    You know, I've nearly always had good luck Monogram decals.  They sometimes seem a bit thick, but usually look good when applied.  Thanks a lot! 🍺