This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

thepureness

Stamford model show. Such a sad event

Nuff said. I despair of people that would trash someone's hard work for any reason, whether it were jealousy, some perceived sleight, or whatever. There are no words low enough.

It's best not to dwell on names for them or their motivation for too long though, lest we sully our minds :mental:

Couldn't believe the senselessness of it all, and I really feel for those guys who have lost, in some cases, a lifetimes work. I read on RMWeb that one poor guy lost a layout and a £8000 loco. He has terminal cancer, so will never have the chance to rebuild what took him 25 years to build. Sickening! 

There's a crowfunding page set up. I felt inclined to throw a tenner in the pot (all I could spare)

Steve

52 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Couldn't believe the senselessness of it all, and I really feel for those guys who have lost, in some cases, a lifetimes work. I read on RMWeb that one poor guy lost a layout and a £8000 loco. He has terminal cancer, so will never have the chance to rebuild what took him 25 years to build. Sickening! 

There's a crowfunding page set up. I felt inclined to throw a tenner in the pot (all I could spare)

Steve

Steve

Please could you link the crowdfunding page

WOW, THATS CRAZY

The crownfunding aim was £500 and they've raised £19000. Nineteen thousand pounds. 

14 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

£19, 648 now. It's going up by the minute. Seems to have touched a lot of people.

I expect it will continue to go up, I have just subscribed, lots of enthusiasts I am sure feel for a lot of those modellers...……..some of those kits destroyed will never be replaced as I am sure many member are past their prime and will now lack the time or incentive to build or create another...……..very heartbreaking

The phrase ‘First up against the wall’ comes to mind... make them pay. Not the parents, the kids. I don’t care if they have to take out massive loans which they can never pay back, MAKE THEM PAY.

I'm sure the lawyers will see to it that they get nothing more than a slapped wrist!

14 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

The phrase ‘First up against the wall’ comes to mind... make them pay. Not the parents, the kids. I don’t care if they have to take out massive loans which they can never pay back, MAKE THEM PAY.

Oh, the parents should pay too! If your minor child goes out and destroys someone else's property because you didn't care enough to teach them properly or keep track of where they are then you are just as liable for the damages.

Oh, I’m not saying that the parents aren’t responsible, I just like the idea of the little <content removed on advice of my lawyer> paying. A kind of poetic justice. But yes, the parents are definitely responsible.

19 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I'm sure the lawyers will see to it that they get nothing more than a slapped wrist!

If they plead guilty or are found guilty they will be dealt with in accordance with the national sentencing guidelines.

Sentencing is a matter for the judge under reference to the guidelines.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the outcome of this sad affair is. Am I right in thinking that those involved are under 16?

It's for reasons like this that the Western world needs to bring back public floggings and canings. I also like the idea of a large tattoo on their foreheads.

Just my redneck 2 cents.

Chris

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I also like the idea of a large tattoo on their foreheads.

I rather like the idea of a branding instead, bit more painful and not as easy to cover or remove. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I rather like the idea of a branding instead, bit more painful and not as easy to cover or remove. I weep for the future seeing the youth of today. 

No need to worry Dennis. The vast majority are law abiding and hard working. It's just that the media are only interested in the scum, so sometimes it sounds like they're winning.

That's unfortunate at the lightest, really sad actually...

How to punish these youngsters? Did they even know what is was worth? Some here refer to parents, don't know the age of the youngsters, but I'm a plus-dad of two sons of 20 and 23 (it started at 16 and 19, and have to admit, we don't (didn't) know (knew) all the time where they are hanging out, so we can only hope that they will use their common sence. It's a fine line between giving them freedom and responsibility... Unfortunately their parents will pay, as they are responsible in the end...

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I weep for the future seeing the youth of today. 

Not all of us are that bad ;)

Heading for 49k now!

IanJ

47 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Heading for 49k now!

That's heartening, and will certainly help with the restoration of things that can be replaced, but I'll bet there are more than a few items that will be irreplaceable as well as all the hours of care put into everything, and all of their memories will be tainted by this incident now.  Fortunately, this lovely act of generosity on the part of the general public will help to restore their faith in humanity at least a little.  One loco was worth £5,000 though, so I hope the total keeps climbing :)

...Along with the moral support also Mike. A link to this thread was posted up in the discussion on RMWeb to illustrate that all hobbyists were pulling together on this. Great that the total has hit the 50k mark!

7 hours ago, Gorby said:

No need to worry Dennis. The vast majority are law abiding and hard working.

Yes Gorby you are correct. It just seems like this kind of thing happens more and more. 

6 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

Not all of us are that bad ;)

My apologies Dalek. I was wrong to infer all of the younger generations are bad. Far from that I know. Please accept my apology if I offended you. 

Dennis