This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

thepureness

Stamford model show. Such a sad event

A very sad event I've just seen happen in the news and social media.

Those poor guys at Stamford railway exhibition, I wish there was something that could be done, apart from the obvious to those responsible.

For those unaware, click the link to Stamford local news 

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/four-arrested-at-welland-academy-after-vandalism-of-model-railway-exhibition-9070661/

Unbelievable. Hope those responsible are brought to justice swiftly and dealt with harshly.

Yes, that is bad. Some people have no respect at all.

There is only one word for such people...…. Scum and they know that punishment will be minimal so they don't even care if they are caught.

Sickening.

Thinking of all the time and effort that goes into those displays and some asteriskholes wreck it for fun.

Probably school age kids?

What can you do to 'em?

4 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Sickening.

Thinking of all the time and effort that goes into those displays and some asteriskholes wreck it for fun.

What can you do to 'em?

Community service picking up litter etc for the same number of hours that went into creating each and every item destroyed.

Should keep them occupied until they're middle-aged......

My heart goes out to the exhibitors; it is not just the financial investment that has been lost but the time and effort that has gone into each layout that can not be replaced.

A big penis should be tattooed on their foreheads for all to see, after a suitable main punishment fitting the crime. What is wrong with some people...

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

Sickening.

What can you do to 'em?

Stocks and Pillory, perhaps.

You really have to wonder what motivates these knuckle-dragging cave-dwellers. Showing their equally-thick mates what big men they are? Jealousy? "Having a laugh"?  

It occurs to me that there was something personal in this bout of vandalism (or maybe I'm simply trying to rationalize what happened). 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

It occurs to me that there was something personal in this bout of vandalism (or maybe I'm simply trying to rationalize what happened). 

Chris.  

I doubt if there was anything personal....for that to be true these bits of human detritus would need to have some sort of discernable intelligence. 

Whilst it is good that they appear to have been caught the chance of any justice is remote these days. Even if there were suitable laws/penalties in place, there will always be some aptly named 'criminal lawyer' ready to stand up in court to claim that his clients did not understand, were in ten other places at the time, and are pillars of society who regularly help little old ladies cross the road (even when the little old ladies dont want to).

The use of eye-for-an-eye community service would be a big deterrent if there was any legal way of enforcing the penalty, but if the UK is like here these scumbags never bother to turn up, and/or do nowt when they do, in part because yet another lawyer will crawl out of the woodwork to claim their poor unfortunate client is being unfairly treated.

Make the parents pay the price.  That will stop the little toe-rags.  That and a bloody good slapping. 

Chris.

I bet if some model railway club got some of these miscreants to visit one of their meetings, at least a couple of them might end up being model railway enthusiasts - or else end up feeling guilty for what they did.

Well done to the Police for catching them, but I doubt anything will come from it.

Just feel so bad for the people who put all that effort into something that someone else thinks it's fun to destroy

Sickos!!   A wall and a line up with  a squad facing them comes to mind as a punishment..

That or bring back National service and a long stretch with really tough treatment is needed.   Can you imagine sickos like them running amok at somewhere like  Scale Model world......or any of our kind of show....

This really is shocking.

I wonder if the perpetrators targeted the model show or just decided to break into the school and stumbled across the exhibits? 

My heart goes out to those modellers who have had years of work trashed for nothing more than a bit of "fun" by a bunch of knuckle-draggers who wouldn't recognise creativity if it bit them on the bum. I hope the modellers manage to come back from this. I know of one guy who had spent two years scratch-building an EM gauge loco only to have it stolen off a layout at a show somewhere in the London area. He was so sickened he's never exhibited again.

My reaction is much the same as everyone else's has been, but what to do with them, I just don't know. Someone suggested the army, but years ago I saw something like this suggested for anti social cretins and the response was, do we really want this type of low life, polluting out professional armed forces? We abolished corporal punishment years ago, which IMO is a shame. Capital punishment also, but maybe that would have been a bit extreme in this case. They'll probably end up with an ASBO and leave the court laughing their heads off. My own personal opinion is to shame them. Post photos of them in their area so that their neighbours can see just what cretins they are. Trouble with that is that some of them would see it as a badge of honour. I know that as an idiotic 12 year old, I ended up in juvenile court for a piece of stupidity and got off with a fine. Another boy who was also up that day wasn't so lucky and was sent to reform school. My Mum said to me at the time, "that's where you'll end up if you do something like that again". It scared the :poop: out of me and for the last 60 years, I have been a model citizen (well almost). I'm not advocating a return to the rack or the cat o' nine tails et al, but I believe the the bleeding heart liberals have held sway for too long and that it's time the punishment fitted the crime, or we are going to go on seeing this type of mindless vandalism continue.

John.

Posted (edited)

What it does raise, particularly for those of us involved in organising our own club shows, is the security of the venues we use. It is a heartbreaking story and I feel terribly for the guys who have had their work destroyed, but let's not kid ourselves and think it could not happen elsewhere. SMW enjoys the onsite security services provided by the TIC, but the vast majority of shows at which we display our models rely just on a locked key and maybe a burglar alarm as well.

Edited by Truro Model Builder

18 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

What it does raise, particularly for those of us involved in organising our own club shows, is the security of the venues we use. It is a heartbreaking story and I feel terribly for the guys who have had their work destroyed, but let's not kid ourselves and think it could not happen elsewhere. SMW enjoys the onsite security services provided by the TIC, but the vast majority of shows at which we display our models rely just on a locked key and maybe a burglar alarm as well.

Apart from Telford and Perth the shows I know are one day affairs with clubs and traders typically setting up around 8 a.m. for a 10 a.m. opening and taking down after close of play around 4 p.m. so there is less need for stuff to stay in a hall overnight. While this scenario could certainly happen at one of our shows we're maybe a bit less vulnerable than the model railway guys who really have to set up the day before.  

The other thought that crossed my mind was insurance. No amount of money could fully compensate for the wanton destruction of a model which has taken years to build but I hope some sort of recompense will be forthcoming.

17 hours ago, stringbag said:

Make the parents pay the price.  That will stop the little toe-rags.  That and a bloody good slapping. 

Chris.

Indeed! What kind of parents let their minor children roam around at 3 o'clock in the morning. 

4 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Indeed! What kind of parents let their minor children roam around at 3 o'clock in the morning. 

Unfortunately, I believe there are some parents in our society who neither know or care where their offspring are, at any time of the day. For these people, nothing is ever their fault. If I wasn't such an avowed liberal, I would use the word "scumbag" to describe these types (cos that's exactly what they are). 

Chris. 

Utterly, utterly outrageous.  I really feel for all those people affected by this mindless act. 

It's not about the financial value of the physical damage.  Model railway exhibits in particular take tens of years to acquire and build, involving a level and depth of personal emotional investment that most of us can only imagine. 

It's not going too far to suggest that an older person may genuinely never recover from an event like this.