KING TIGER s.Pz.Abt.505 Russia September 1944

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I last posted, sorry about that but life and health issues have got in the way again, I was hoping to have these KTs finished by now so that I could take part in the D-Day GB and the F4 GB but with my hands and wrists giving me hell I have not bothered since I cannot be sure I can finish them.  Anyway enough whinging and a quick update on this KT, I have had a go at chipping, no hairspray just a paint brush, I can manage a 0000 brush, just.  It's my first attempt so be honest, I'm old enough to take advice.  I tried not to go overboard, I looked at a review build of the new Hobbyboss 1/35 Porsche turreted KT with stick on zimm, and thought he had gone too far, plus wrong tracks, wrong sprockets wrong exhausts and missing the armoured schnorkel cover, but I'm just being picky. :whistle:

IMG_0929 IMG_0928

I hope to get the tracks on tomorrow, plus some more weathering.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

It's a AFV I'm yet to tackle........

I started "collecting" these KT kits just over 10 years ago when there was just Tamiya and Dragon to choose between. In the Tamiya kit it was just the basic plastic but Dragon gave you metal barrel, etched fret that included engine mesh and then there were magic tracks.  Later came the zimmerite coated ones, so I have 3 pending, in various stages of construction, 2 have filler zimm when there was no alternative, 5 unstarted and an Academy final production kit.  Now there is the Takom, Meng and Hobbyboss, but I have tried to stop adding to the stash, note the "tried" :whistle:

• Like 1

Unfortunately I did not get finished by the deadline, after the Flory wash I was not happy with the finish so washed it off and went for oil washes but it made the zimmerit look too dark, the sand gelb on the mud guards looked a different colour and photos of the real thing did not look to have such contrast, so out with the white spirit and cleaning it back caused some damage, so nearly there but not quite, here is where I got to.

IMG_0935 IMG_0936

I have almost finished a tank that I always wanted in my collection, once it is finished I will post some pictures.

• Like 3

To be honest it looks better in than the photo, I will finish it off ready for the East Riding model show at Driffield on the 1st September, just little things kept slowing me down, those brass barrels for example, I cleaned and degreased them, sprayed on black primer, but every time I touched them the brass colour showed through, I'll try some cellulose paint next, as for real wire cables :wtf:  They have been fun.

• Like 3

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep up with progress, what with my own 'life' getting in the way.

And I'm sad to see you didn't get your KT into the gallery. If I were you I'd have put it in anyway cos it was probably in a good enough state to warrant it. I myself didn't have time to finish my Tiger, but I dry-fitted the parts I hadn't had time to glue on or paint properly  (note the wonky commander's cupola which I knocked whilst taking photos and the fact that it was missing an entire final coat of whitewash!) It's in the gallery in a 'reasonable' state, but there's lots of work still to do on it. Something worth thinking about should you ever run out of time in future GBs?

I do think your KT is superb. I really like the chipping (something else I had to skip with my own build) I'm going to have to try that 'penumbra-style' chipping (light around dark) I may have just invented that term.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bob, your KT looks fine, and I would have put it into the gallery, maybe sorting out the wash problems after.

A VERY thin wash of DunkelGelb might sort out your zimmerit - though I'd experiment off the model (or under the hull).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Badder said:

I do think your KT is superb. I really like the chipping (something else I had to skip with my own build) I'm going to have to try that 'penumbra-style' chipping (light around dark) I may have just invented that term.

Hi Badder, I did think about putting it into the gallery, but after spending all weekend trying to get both finished I had no enthusiasm for taking any photos since it looks unfinished without the TOW cables/tools.  Penumbra-style chipping, I like it, I copied it from a chipping tutorial on u-tube, chipping without hairspray, I have more to do on the fenders/mudguards.  After washing off some of the oily grime with white spirit I dry brushed over the zimmerit with the original Tamiya XF-88, I can only say it looks better in the "plastic" than on the photos, the dry brushing stands out more on the photos for some reason.  Not to worry, it's the taking part that counts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

A VERY thin wash of DunkelGelb might sort out your zimmerit - though I'd experiment off the model (or under the hull).

Hi Robert, I might try a thin wash lightly sprayed on, as I mentioned to Badder, I washed the zimmerit down with white spirit and then dry brushed some original dunkelgelb on, the photos bring that dry brushing out more than on the actual model for some reason.  By the time I finish the other 7 KTs in the stash I should be able do them with my shut. :whistle: (It was 6, but I have just bought a Dragon KT, Porsche turret, watch this space.)

• Like 2

On 8/19/2019 at 11:56 PM, Retired Bob said:

I copied it from a chipping tutorial on u-tube, chipping without hairspray,

Hi Bob,

I've done the odd bit of chipping by brush as I like the fact that you can put the chips precisely where you want them. The hairspray/chipping fluid techniques are less precise in where they do and don't chip.  They are good though, because when using a wet brush you can also fade whitewash for example, as well as chip. So, I now lean towards a combination of chipping fluid and chipping by brush. On the 'Penumbra-style' chipping front, @Redcoat2966 used some on his stunning Wespe in the RFI section.

I may just have a go at it on my current Tiger.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob. Sorry you weren't able to get it finished in time but it was looking superb last time seen. I hope you get chance to finish it soon and post some photos here and in the AFV RFI section.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bob. Sorry you weren't able to get it finished in time but it was looking superb last time seen. I hope you get chance to finish it soon and post some photos here and in the AFV RFI section.

Hi Stix, firstly, congratulations on winning the poll, yours was the best Tiger there and had got my vote.  After a bit of a fight with the wire TOW cables, I have just finished this KT in the last hour, I will take some photos and post them tomorrow before I box it up to go to the model show at Driffield on Sunday.  The other KT should be ready tomorrow as well. :thumbsup:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 1

As promised some pictures of my KT, Finished as an August 44 production ready to go to the Eastern Front, September 44.  During this last last 8 months of the war s.H.Pz.abt. 505 were equipped with a total of 45 King Tigers and destroyed 270 enemy tanks.

IMG_0973 IMG_0969 IMG_0971 IMG_0966
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Bob the two of them look fantastic.

Thanks, I'm happy with how they have turned out and they had some admiring looks at the Driffield show today.  It would be easier to attach the tow cables before all the "breakable bits" are added but it would make a hard edged camouflage really difficult to do.  I'll try some other methods on my next big cat builds.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 28/05/2019 at 10:22, Retired Bob said:

Before I painted the turret I improved the weld seams around the top using stretched sprue and Tamiya thin glue, a bit of texturing with a not too sharp scalpel blade.  A quick pin wash with MIG dark wash just to see how it looks then on to put a wash on the wheels, now it's time for the camouflage, some profiles show a brown and olive camouflage pattern but my interpretation of the photos it looks like only one colour and I'm going for chocolate brown RAL 8017.

Here is the the turret welds:

IMG_0862

And here is the wheel shot:

IMG_0861

Very nice welds on the turret top! As for colours, I think the migammo Dark Yellow, available in both shades is excellent.