KING TIGER s.Pz.Abt.505 Russia September 1944

I have had this cyber-hobby kit in the stash for a few years so I have dusted it off and I will throw it into this GB.  The plastic has just been re-issued as a 2 in 1 kit by Dragon, I have always fancied building this scheme with the charging Knight on the turret, so it's as it comes with just a new Armour Scale barrel.  Here's the obligatory box full of bits picture:

IMG_0844

Wish me luck, it's covered in Dragon zimmerit! :unsure:

• Like 6

Good luck and welcome Bob, she looks a nice kit. Not got a KT in the collection yet, I will be interested to see how she builds.

That looks like fun. He gets around a bit that knight - he's also included in my Tamiya kit and I'm sure I've seen him in another thread in this GB too.

Andy

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Good luck and welcome Bob, she looks a nice kit. Not got a KT in the collection yet, I will be interested to see how she builds.

Hi Ozzy, I bought my KT's quite a few years ago when they were priced at £20-£30, though I think I had to pay more for this boxing as it was Cyber Hobby with the zimmerit panel removed from the turret side and s.Pz.Abt.505 decals.  I cannot justify buying any of the new KT kits when I have 6 Dragon ones in the stash.  The KT must have been one of Dragons earliest attempts at zimmerit coating, as it's not the best, you have to have a chisel ready to take off the zimmerit to fit the exhaust pots and any other items that fit on to the hull or turret.

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

That looks like fun. He gets around a bit that knight - he's also included in my Tamiya kit and I'm sure I've seen him in another thread in this GB too.

Hi Foxbat, Yep he was very popular on the Russian front, well probably not with the soviet tankers.  He is not accurately portrayed on the decal sheet so I will be using one from a Top Colours decal sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to this one Bob. Sound like there's a bit of extra work required with the Zimmerit, but it will be interesting to see how the sheets turn out. I also look forward to your camo scheme!

Reaguards

Badder

6 hours ago, Badder said:

I'm looking forward to this one Bob. Sound like there's a bit of extra work required with the Zimmerit, but it will be interesting to see how the sheets turn out. I also look forward to your camo scheme!

Hi Badder, the zimmerit has been molded onto the various parts of the tank, it's not on sheets.  It is not bad, but unlike their Panther's and Panzer IV's they have covered the whole rear  panel with zimmerit so you have to remove it with a chisel to fit the exhaust covers, and the turret front panel has a joint in the middle of a vertical column of zimmerit.  I will post so me pictures later of my progress so far, not a bad first day, that's what happens when SWIMBO goes out and leaves you modelling. 😃😃😃

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:
15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Badder, the zimmerit has been molded onto the various parts of the tank, it's not on sheets. 

Ah, silly me. I thought the zimmerit was on plastic sheets, like some old Revell zimmerit I found in a 'bargain bin' at my (now closed) LHS a couple of years ago. Still, I'm sure you'll manage to sort out the issues. Would a hot screwdriver blade or similar be a quick and easy way to remove some of the unwanted zim on the rear panel for example?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Would a hot screwdriver blade or similar be a quick and easy way to remove some of the unwanted zim on the rear panel for example?

Hi Badder, I'm not trusted with hot things near my rear panel, so I have this modelling chisel from the Trumpy tool shop.  I cut round the exhaust pots with a scalpel then chisel away the zimmerit, does not have to be perfect, just seat the pot, not have it sitting on top of the zimm. Trim away the zimm from the glacis plate as the zimm will prevent the front lining up properly. On the turret front edge you might be able to see the recovery of the zimm by lots of Tamiya thin glue, notice there are no indents for the spare track brackets on the turret sides. 

IMG_0848

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I see what you mean, slightly disappointing on Dragons behalf.

I'm not sure if any of the zimmerit decal sheets would be a better way to go, but if was easy it would not be so much fun. :whistle: Here's the rear panel with the exhausts now glued in place, I have added the lifting lugs using plastic rod heated to form a rivet head shape, funny how they are pictured on the box but were not in the kit.

IMG_0846

• Like 1

Final update for today, magic tracks are all cleaned up and along with the wheels, sprockets and idlers are ready for a coat of paint.  Suspension arms glued on and the hull is just about ready to be glued together.

IMG_0849

Tomorrow I want to push on with the turret and get the main gun barrel fitted, then there is the fun of gluing on the etched mesh grill covers.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Badder, I'm not trusted with hot things near my rear

It's probably your age Bob. Shaky hands and all that.

Still, despite Dragon's over-zealous zimmerit guy, you are coping nicely with removing it as required. And progress is looking good.

Rearguards

Badder

7 minutes ago, Badder said:

It's probably your age Bob. Shaky hands and all that.

Hands are not doing too bad at the moment, I am just trying to get ahead, I relaxed on the Panzer IV GB and only just made the deadline.  Plus it will be nice to have a KT on the built shelf. :penguin:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hands are not doing too bad at the moment, I am just trying to get ahead, I relaxed on the Panzer IV GB and only just made the deadline.  Plus it will be nice to have a KT on the built shelf. :penguin:

I only just made the deadline - with 5 mins to go! :pipe:

I have a KT in the stash - originally intended for this GB. I keep seeing other people's KTs here and think I should have stuck with mine as I've never built one before. Oh well.

Rearguards,

Badder

10 hours ago, Badder said:

I only just made the deadline - with 5 mins to go! :pipe:

Wow and I thought 48 hours was a close call, I had several kits in the stash to choose between, but this one with the charging Knight has a better chance of getting finished, runner up was a Jagdtiger with Porsche suspension. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Looks like you are making excellent progress. Dragon kits are usually good kits but sometimes bits get left out or included when they shouldn't be. With all the research these companies do it's odd how these errors sometimes happen. I sometimes wonder if it's because they keep using sprues from other versions whilst adding new ones for specific types and things get missed.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I have been trying to update my thread but Flickr is down so I cannot load some new pictures.  Looking at the other GB threads everyone else is in the same boat. So for now you will have to use your imagination, the hull is glued together and given a quick coat of Tamiya dark yellow so I could attach the mesh over the engine grills, I spent all day attaching the lugs for the spare tracks on the turret sides, a real PITA having to remove 20 small patches of zimmerit, luckily I had a scale drawing to work to because Dragon have got some of the lug positions wrong.  Hopefully Flickr will be back working soon so I can insert some photo's.

• Like 2

Sounds like you've made some nice progress Bob, good luck with your zimmermit patches. It's something I'm going to do on mine, looking forward to see the photos.

• Thanks 1

Flickr is working again so as promised some photos of my progress so far, I am using the Trojca book on the King Tiger for reference.

IMG_0855

The fun of attaching the spare track hangers:

IMG_0854

Time consuming but no real problems:

IMG_0856

All done and with a Maus turret for comparison, now I have finished with the lugs now I can risk attaching the other bits and pieces and get a coat of paint on.

IMG_0857

Armorscale barrel and muzzle primed in black and pushed into place, I hope to have a further update later this weekend.

• Like 5

Sprayed a coat of dunkelgelb from the Hataka German AFV paint set, according to my book the shade was dunkelgelb RAL 7028, but it looks rather ....beige?..fawn? ...greyish?

IMG_0858

The wheel on the left is Tamiya dunkelgelb XF-60 to show a contrast.

Resprayed everything with a more yellow shade, Hataka dunkelgelb nach muster.

IMG_0860

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I brush painted my wheels with XF-60 and I got at least three shades on different wheels on the same sprue in the same session and using the same brush. It's an odd fellow is paint. 

For the record, I like the Hataka shade. It looks sandy on my monitor where the Tamiya has a definite green cast, especially in the contrast picture.

Andy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

For the record, I like the Hataka shade. It looks sandy on my monitor where the Tamiya has a definite green cast, especially in the contrast picture.

I agree Andy, and that is what I'm sticking with, the Hataka box says it was the early shade of dunkelgelb that was replaced by the RAL 7028 shade but it looks so grey/beige, I cannot recall anything in that shade, as you say paint is such an odd fellow, perhaps thats why I have so many kits waiting to be painted. :unsure:

Bob

Mmm looks odd, I'm no experten, but I do know I'm no fan of HATAKA, still paint apart Bob it's looking fine, i shall use yours as reference now you've pointed out the dome

• Like 2