DH 114 Heron 'Channel Airways'

She's really looking the part now Neil. I've got heaps of photos of Salisbury Hall's Heron, if you need some for reference for some light wear n tear. Just a thought.

15 hours ago, Fazzman said:

I've got heaps of photos of Salisbury Hall's Heron, if you need some for reference for some light wear n tear. Just a thought.

I have managed to gather a fair few pics and such over the past months, and there is also a good Walkaround of the Heron here on BM too, so I should have enough reference pics and such, hopefully. Thanks for offering though, I appreciate it anyway.  :)

B)

• Like 2

Feels like I am getting somewhere at last, fuselage pinstriping now in the process of being applied. The clear decal sheet that had been sprayed with Alclad Pale Gold, earlier in this thread, has had a few lengths of it sliced into 2mm widths and applied above the windows and along the fuselage to the tail. The thin Red stripe that goes from nose to tail, and below the windows, is also in the process of being applied, and this is cut from a basic Red parallel stripe decal sheet, and I think they are approx 0.75mm wide. To make life a little easier, both the Gold and Red stripes were cut into lengths of around 30mm or so, and applied in that way. To try and apply the stripes in the full lengths that they eventually will be on the fuselage sides, would of been asking for trouble and very awkward to apply ......  

49316639317_09d7862a69_o.jpg 

The red fuselage stripe is almost finished, just the front curved section to sort out (accurate smooth curve being the really awkward bit!).  A thin White stripe, again from a standard parellel line decal sheet, about 0.75mm wide, is being laid centrally over the previously applied Gold stripe, so creating the double Gold lines above the windows. Again, this White stripe was cut into approx 30mm lengths to aid application.

49316639212_d8003a23f8_o.jpg

B)

• Like 18

That's 99% of the decals on, left the Red pinstripe off the nose for the moment because that is a handy, temporary, holding point and it would probably get damaged or rubbed off if it was applied too soon. The fuselage 'G-AXFH' was made using a decal lettering sheet,  and the 'Channel Airways' wording above the windows was taken from a Classic-Airlines decal sheet, CA144-095 Viscount 800,  and is pretty much bang-on to size. The tiny 'Channel Airways' wording on the fin/rudder is from another Classic-Airlines sheet, CA144-108 HS 748, and although the words on that had a Black surround, as they should have, the words themselves were transparent so I had to apply a section of White decal strip first, and then laid the tiny 'Channel Airways' wording on top. Again, the size is pretty much spot on and I am very happy with how all of the airline wording has turned out. The three emergency exit decal hatches on the fuselage roof were taken straight from the standard Airfix sheet.  

I will give everything a few days to thoroughly dry out, then seal the decals on with a coat of Clear Gloss, and once that is fully dry the subtle, discrete weathering can be applied, to give a faintly used look to it.

49326848341_017fec222f_o.jpg

B)

• Like 26

A really superb effort there Neil - and even better being a de Havilland machine! Interesting to hear about how you obtained that smaller lettering too. Wouldn't it be nice if some kind manufacturer were to produce a 1:48 or even better, a 1:32 scale kit? You might not want to see one for a while now though...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to apply the remaining Red pinstripe on the nose sides, and pleased that I have managed to seal all the decals with a couple of light coats of Zero Paints 2-Pack Clearcoat (2K Urethane) applied directly onto the Humbrol Enamel used earlier, the 2K Clear does not harm enamels. Had hoped to apply, or at the very least, start, the discrete weathering over the airframe exterior, but unfortunately other things got in the way.  Maybe get around to it sometime this week.

The best laid plans, etc, etc ……  ;)

B)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, Edge said:

Are you still considering making the resin pieces available at some point?

Edge

It has certainly crossed my mind once or twice, I must say!

B)

• Like 5

The Airfix Classics re-release of the Heron is now scheduled for March /April. 

I'm not sure if this fantastic build has encouraged me to dive into it, or to steer clear of the kit's shortcomings! 

This year I've GOT to focus on the civil subjects, and this could be another contender.... 

• Like 1

Just found this thread - stunning! Makes the Airfix kit look like a Heron!

Can I add my name to the list for a set of parts when/if you ever get around to making them, please? I have a Butler Mk 1 that I'd like to make ...

Thanks again for the comments.

As I mentioned previously, the Red stripe is now on both sides of the nose, so I will finally start the discrete weathering and highlighting of panel lines etc …. at last!  :yahoo:  

Here's a quick front view, still without props, exhausts, entry door etc.

49473485971_f8ff05a8d1_o.jpg

Generally, more often than not, I tend to use Paynes Grey Oil Paint, thinned with White Spirit (or Turpentine) to a accentuate and add a 'weathered' effect to panel lines and such. The previous coats of paint that the model has been sprayed in MUST be absolutely dry and fully cured though, otherwise they will be removed by the thinned oil paint and make an almighty mess!! Pic below of my usual 'Weapons Of Choice' for the highlighting/weathering of panel lines, in this case the brand of Oil Paint is by Winsor & Newton (never had any issues with their paints).

49471969551_4f83a604a1_o.jpg

As an example, the pic below shows the kind of effect that I intend to achieve with the thinned Paynes Grey applied to panel lines and such, on my 1/144 'Led Zeppelin' Boeing 720 model. The panel lines have been enhanced but not overly so, and not too heavily or dark, but still has a kind of 'used' look to it.

47703811601_e3e8eb7689_o.jpg

B)

Edited by Neil
  • Like 16

I’ve just re-read the whole of this thread (you might have guessed from a bucket-load of “Likes” over the past 30 mins!).

Stunning; neat, imaginative, beautifully executed, and very well photographed.  Top notch.  I am just about old enough to remember the RN’s (Sea) Herons, which were much loved.

Thanks; this is a really excellent build

• Like 2