1/72 Boeing 737 - which kit is best?

I really would like to do a 1/72 model of the 737-800. By question is, which kit is best - Welsh Models or Big Planes Kits. I know that the latter in not out yet, but I should think the quality and accuracy would be similar to their 737-200.

I am planning to open the forward cabin door, and I am prepared to scratch build what is seen through the door opening. My question thus refers to what is actually is included in the kits. Any experience with both kits is thus of great interest.

Nils

Hey Nils,

as a below average modeller, I would wait for the BPK release and work with that.

I'm sure a talented modeller can churn out a beauty from a vac-form kit, but besides the additional challenges such a kit presents over an injection molded one, I think that the BPK offers a much more pleasant looking Boeing nose profile, cockpit windows proportions, etc. than what is possible with the vac-formed fuselage halves in the Welsh box.

Here are an inbox review and a build article of BPK's 732:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/bpk/kit_bpk_7201.shtml

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/bpk/build_bpk_7201.shtml

...and an inbox peek of a Welsh kit, plus a build article of a Welsh 737BBJ:

https://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=397

http://www.airliner-civil-aircraft-modeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2021

Try and spot what would better work for you.

Cheers,

Niki

Thanks for the input, Niki.

Although I already have the Welsh kit, I think I will wait for the BPK 737-800. No problem, I have a few other models that I can work on in the meantime.

Nils

I have already stretched my Welsh fuselage with 8mm. I wonder though if I should continue with the Welsh kit or wait for the coming BPK kit.

Nils

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I have already stretched my Welsh fuselage with 8mm. I wonder though if I should continue with the Welsh kit or wait for the coming BPK kit.

Nils

Me too, this one is stalled at the moment until I get the inclination to finish detailing the weapons bay and scratch build some weapons mounting points.

32251005557_5d884ffe34_b.jpg

• Like 1

Not every company has the resources to go out and buy the latest and greatest software and milling equipment. Companies like Welsh have been around a long time and are using tried and true techniques. I had a chat to another older vacform producer in the UK, Aircraft in Miniature (AIM) and Neil (the owner) and sole employee had invested in CAD software which cost him thousands of Pounds. Not everyone has this sort of excess cash to expend on this sort of thing or the turnover to justify the expense and especially when they concentrate of a significantly small part of the market.

I am all for these new companies coming into the hobby to offer those civil and airliner subjects in injection form that have only been previously available in vac form and there will still be a place for the other ones with lower production costs and runs, would I prefer an injected kit over a vacform? Yes indeed!

I thought the windscreen looked OK, it could be an optical illusion from the different shades of putty to fill the recesses, at that point I had not removed all the excess putty either.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jordi said:

Not having seen the Welsh kit in person, I will only say that if I wanted to build a 1/72 737NG (and I very much do!), I would wait for BPK’s kit.  BPK designs their kits using CAD and CNC technology.  As far as I know, Welsh is still doing everything by hand.  Nothing wrong with that, but the fact that his existing kit has a known major error in it, it leaves me wondering about the rest of the kit.  CAD does not equal perfection by any means, but this is 2019 after all.

You are sooooo wrong. I respectfully suggest before you check first.

Tommo.

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

You are sooooo wrong. I respectfully suggest before you check first.

What is sooooo wrong?

Nils

• 2 weeks later...

I have built the Welshmodels kit and have the BPK 737, in my honest opinion the BPK has more detail, and also has clear plastic for the passenger windows and window masks, the Welsh kit needs these cutting out unless you use decals, there is some question on the accuracy on the nose and tail fin on the BPK, but to me it looks like a 737

Anyway this BPK up coming release of the 737 800

http://bigplaneskits.com/boxart-for-737-800-1-72/

• Like 1