Sturmtiger - toon tank

If you've never heard of Xinshi Hobby before, then you're not alone. I first saw the kit in the listings of a Chinese seller on ebay while ordering the RR armoured car (which came from the same seller). On first sight, I thought the kit was a dodgy knock-off of the Meng toon Tiger, but looking at the photos more closely, it was clearly an original kit. I figured 'what do I have to lose' (10 quid actually, but I was prepared to risk that), and ordered the kit along with the Royce.

When you see the box art, you'll understand why I was a little dubious at first

40891245443_6c53622f3c_b.jpg

It turned out the kit was actually rather good (as far as it goes - it is a cartoon tank at the end of the day). I built it up in the background while doing the Royce, and added a few extra details along the way. If you pick one of these kits up, don't be shocked when you lift the lid, as the kit is moulded in pink, purple and yellow plastic. The parts are actually very well detailed though, especially the tracks, which are pre-assembled indi-links, although they could do with being a couple of links longer.

The Zim was done with Meng resin decals for speed, and the only other significant additions were the scratch built shell and side skirts, and a bit of metal mesh for the engine screens.

47857859961_2bdb2efb20_b.jpg

40891257393_067b548fa0_b.jpg

47805511682_d2a6045a8c_b.jpg

40891254713_8d5d8c7f06_b.jpg

47805509032_b66d7de115_b.jpg

40891252203_0e669c788c_b.jpg

40891250673_48f4911901_b.jpg

40891249693_a02932f9a3_b.jpg

40891247193_8ffd9bba8c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Such a wonderful model.  Thank you for sharing your unique style and fantastic craftsmanship.  Great to see what can be made from what is a simple kit.  I wonder if others from this range might make it to your workbench.( Wouldn't that be a treat! )  I must say that this manufacture has come up with an ingenious way to make articulated tracks for this kit of kit.  I wish the Meng ones were as nice.    Can I ask what you used for the little flowers?  They are a killer addition to your scene.  I always love your work but this little critter just POPS!

Dan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

Such a wonderful model.  Thank you for sharing your unique style and fantastic craftsmanship.  Great to see what can be made from what is a simple kit.  I wonder if others from this range might make it to your workbench.( Wouldn't that be a treat! )  I must say that this manufacture has come up with an ingenious way to make articulated tracks for this kit of kit.  I wish the Meng ones were as nice.    Can I ask what you used for the little flowers?  They are a killer addition to your scene.  I always love your work but this little critter just POPS!

Thanks Dan.

Yes, the tracks are definitely the highlight of the kit and much better than the Meng rubber bands. And, yes, a KV-2 has winged its way from China to my bench, so I'll get started on that one soon.

The flowers come from an Alchemilla, which is a fairly common garden plant. Looks something like this when it's growing

Alchemilla_mollis_2_1024x1024.JPG?v=1509

If you cut the flowers off in late summer and let them dry over winter, they make excellent scale flowers for dioramas.

I used them on a base for a HobbyBoss T-18 a few years ago, and you can see them in more detail on that wip

The kits are on HLJ now for about £15 + delivery, but you can get them cheaper from China via ebay

Looking into the company behind these kits a little more, it seems that Xinshi are a Chinese model retailer, and a regional distributor for Meng. As such, I assume the kits were made for them, quite possibly by Meng themselves, so it's entirely possible that some of the features of these kits, like the working track links, could end up on the Meng World War Toons kits in the future.

That really is very impressive (as all your modelling is!) Beautifully modelled, displayed and photographed. :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1