1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

55 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Steve, I had a another look through your thread,  For the most part the breakdown of your Tamiya and my Dragon kit are very similar, and I imagine the Tamiya individual track links are much like the Dragon magic tracks (lots of ejector pin marks)  The picture of the metal tracks look to me like the very last type used in the last two months of the war, you will need different sprockets (18 tooth type) to fit those.  And finally the nice metal machine gun barrel (I also have one ) I checked my reference books and its not the type used on the KT, they had a M.G. with a splinter proof armoured jacket, not a perforated one.  Hope this helps.

Bob.

Oh well - not to worry - it's only a toy tank  :whistle:

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Sounds like my wife. :facepalm: Or the other one, "No one will notice"

I have now fished out the T Shirt that every wife should buy for the 'discerning modeller' husband...

TAMVI-041a.jpg

...it also comes in various other derogatory flavours...

PLANE / BOAT / SPACESHIP Etc...

• Haha 8

At this point I will freely admit to skiving off work for an hour this morning.  Well the sun popped out and no one missed me - so no harm done.

I got the suspension fitted - again a doddle with the fast setting Tamiya - though I really don't like the smell of it - it certainly works fast...

TAMVI-042.jpg

I also fitted the back plate...

TAMVI-043.jpg

I spent a week rambling in the chat section about how I couldn't understand the wheel spindle settings - but now they are on I can see how they match up...

TAMVI-044.jpg

This going to be MAHOOSIVE - you could eat your dinner out of it...

TAMVI-045.jpg

The last job before returning to work was fitting the front drive axels...

TAMVI-046.jpg

I'm on a night out in Chester tonight - so no more progress until Tuesday / Wednesday - when I am hoping for a test fit of the wheels...

Exciting times ;)

Steve

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have now fished out the T Shirt that every wife should buy for the 'discerning modeller' husband...

TAMVI-041a.jpg

...it also comes in various other derogatory flavours...

PLANE / BOAT / SPACESHIP Etc...

😁😁, Mrs hewy did once(and it was once 🤔) refer to my modelling room as "the toy room", 

XXL, for me steve🤓

Edited by Hewy
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

I got the suspension fitted - again a doddle with the fast setting Tamiya - though I really don't like the smell of it - it certainly works fast...

Health & Safety warning...stop sniffing the glue!  I must get some to try, for quick glueing, not sniffing. ☠️

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Try the Panzer VII Maus, a bit bigger. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

TAMVI-044.jpg

The wheels on either side of the tank line up, but on one side the arms swing forward, and on the other, backwards. Apparently this makes for a smoother ride. But the main reason for the arms being set up this way is so that there's enough room to fit each arm's torsion bars in the belly of the tank.... like so:

gHVQJTe.jpg

If you wanted the left and right hand sets of wheels and arms to be a mirror of each other, you'd have to fit the torsion bars for opposing wheels in the same place  - which isn't possible. You could (more than) halve the length of the torsion bars to fit them both in, but that would more than halve the effectiveness of the torsion bars and require more than a doubling up in the strength of the components (I think)

Great progress Steve, neat and tidy and a lovely finish.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking good (and massive!). 

I rather like the tamiya quick setting glue, although as you've said it does have a strong smell.

Looking forward to seeing your next update.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it may be the middle of the night - or maybe closer to dawn - but I'm having trouble sleeping - so time for a small update...

I did a quick dry test of the wheels on the chassis...

TAMVI-047.jpg

TAMVI-048.jpg

Well they all seem to touch the ground where they should - which is nice.

So it was time for some actual 'glue' and the obvious thing was to get the gifted etch from @badger on the deck...

TAMVI-049.jpg

TAMVI-050.jpg

I'm very pleased with the result and I would suggest an 'essential' for anyone building this kit.

I also added a few bits to the deck - like these little hook things...

TAMVI-051.jpg

I noticed at this point that the engine door needed some slight sanding on the left and right sides - go give an even gap all the way round.

There was also a few covers to attach...

TAMVI-053.jpg

I also got the periscopes and their covers fitted...

TAMVI-054.jpg

Well it is 3am so I  think I better try to get to sleep.  Catch you later - Steve 

• Like 7

Looking great mate and those grilles fit nicely - glad to see them used.

Hope you managed to get some sleep?

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well my sleeping patterns are well and truly out of sync and even worse - I just found this...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/662-blitzbuild-2019-part-1/

I've been wanting to have a bash at a blitzbuild for ages.  I knocked up a few 'bronze ornaments' over Christmas - and I have an idea for a 'paper weight'.  But as my finishing rate has gone to hell I wonder if it wise to divert my attention from the GB to mess with something else.  Whatever happens I still have the Monaco GP scheduled for this afternoon - so I'm probably talking rubbish.  I need a good strong coffee to wake me up and clear my head.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2019 at 13:38, BIG X said:

I could not resist getting my Panzer VII Maus out of the stash and tape it together for a size comparison, apparently they were going to call it the Mammoth, but someone thought that was a woolly idea :facepalm: so they called it the Mouse.  Who says Germans do not have a sense of humour.

IMG_0851

This is the Takom Maus V2, I have no idea why I bought it, I had gone on Black Mikes web site to buy a M3 Grant and I got this instead.  Only two were built, and only the second one of those had a turret.  I have seen a photo of a number of Maus hulls stacked up at the end of the war, this turreted prototype was sent into battle against the Russian forces, I'm not sure how well it performed but the crew eventually fired the demolition charges and destroyed the hull and blew off the turret, the Russians fitted the turret to the first prototype (V1) and after testing it now resides in their tank museum Kubinka.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Well my sleeping patterns are well and truly out of sync and even worse - I just found this...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/662-blitzbuild-2019-part-1/

I've been wanting to have a bash at a blitzbuild for ages.  I knocked up a few 'bronze ornaments' over Christmas - and I have an idea for a 'paper weight'.  But as my finishing rate has gone to hell I wonder if it wise to divert my attention from the GB to mess with something else.  Whatever happens I still have the Monaco GP scheduled for this afternoon - so I'm probably talking rubbish.  I need a good strong coffee to wake me up and clear my head.

Come and join us. I've been using the Blitzbuild as light relief from my Tiger track woes and it's working great.

Andy

Multitasking

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

I have empathy with you for the messed-up sleeping patterns. With my ailments I often fall asleep for a few hours after work and then either fall asleep again and wake up late evening, or sleep through to the small hours. Either way, I have to be back at work early morning - which means I end up being tired before I even start work.

Still, I do get my 7-8hrs sleep in, however disjointed and sometimes I get 12hrs in... which I suppose I must need, but it's rubbish when nearly a whole day goes by and you've not been aware of it!

Lack of sleep can cause the brain to go a bit silly though, as was the case here:

14 hours ago, BIG X said:

There was also a few covers to attach...

TAMVI-053.jpg

Now, personally, I'd call that 'Two hatches'.😜

Joking aside, that's all looking very neat and tidy, and full of 'Eastern Front Promise'.

Rearguards,

Badde

• Thanks 1

• BIG X changed the title to BIG X - The King and I...

I've spent the weekend - 'blitz building' a Jagdpanther - but with a few extra days off it's time for some work on the Tiger.

Sadly I couldn't get the etched grilles to fit the bit that goes under the back of the turret - they were just too big in all directions and whilst attempting to trim them down I made a bit of a hash of it.   know folk have said the Tamiya 'netting' is far from ideal - but I've decided to go with it.  First off - chop to shape...

TAMVI-057.jpg

I did a quick test to find a glue that would hold the netting on the grill frame...

TAMVI-058.jpg

...and the finished result...

TAMVI-059.jpg

I'll need to be careful I don't flood the netting with too much paint - so I may leave them off and add them at the end of the build.

• Like 4

Whilst playing with the 'headlamp'...

TAMVI-055.jpg

...I found this photo...

TAMVI-056.jpg

I found this 'inaccurate' machine gun - HA HA - there is my excuse to use the one I have - so...

TAMVI-060.jpg

On with the dome - out with the drill and in with the barrel...

TAMVI-061.jpg

it may be 'wrong' - but I think it looks great ;)

• Like 4

After committing to the MG - time for a quick play with the main gun...

TAMVI-062.jpg

TAMVI-063.jpg

TAMVI-065.jpg

TAMVI-066.jpg

MAHOOSIVE!!!!!!

• Like 3

Excellent progress and a good save on the hull machine gun.

That main gun is seriously large!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2