Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

After being teased / encouraged / cajoled / baited and generally ‘led on’ by a few folks on here I have decided it’s time to have a bash at 1/35 scale.

 

I have had this sat in the cupboard for a good three months now & I admit to a bit of pre GB ‘inspection’ over the last few weeks.  It is going to be MAHOOSIVE by my standards and comparing the hull to that of the 1/72 versions I am going to work on – it will be a beast.

 

TAMVI-011.jpg

 

Here's the bits...

 

TAMVI-012.jpg

 

TAMVI-014.jpg

 

TAMVI-013.jpg

 

TAMVI-015.jpg

 

TAMVI-016.jpg

 

I am sure 100's of BM'ers have built this kit over the years - but it's a first for me and I'm really looking forward to it.

 

Please feel free to chip in with any words of wisdom along the way.

 

Thanks for looking - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see you here and with a 1/35 kit to boot!! Can't wait to see you work your magic in a larger scale!! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Steve, just think it’s 1/72 under a magnifying glass and you’ll be fine. You definitely can’t go wrong with Tamiya, are you going to build it into a diorama?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I am sure 100's of BM'ers have built this kit over the years - but it's a first for me and I'm really looking forward to it.

 

Please feel free to chip in with any words of wisdom along the way.

Hi Steve,

I remember when this kit first came out..... way beyond my reach with the pocket money I got! Probably a good thing too, cos I probably would have made a right mess brush painting the camo and would have ended up binning it.

Decades later and I still haven't built a KT, but I do have the exact same kit as yours in the stash. It was a toss up between that or the Tiger I for this GB and after plumping for the KT I fof course changed my mind and went for the Tiger I instead - because I've built one before and know what I'm doing!

 

Whatever, your painting skills are super, and  I am absolutely certain that your foray into 1/35th will be a resounding success. Treat each sub-section of your KT (Each wheel, the engine deck, glacis, turret, gun barrel etc) as a whole model and you won't go far wrong!

 

Rearguards,

Badder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Words of wisdom from badder, you'll nail it Steve I'm sure, when I had a bash at 72nd in the panzer gb I was way out of my depth but it turned out in the end, all the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys - I feel better already...

 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

are you going to build it into a diorama?

Whoa - easy TIGER - as they say - I don't know if I can pull this off at all yet - it is going to be BIG - so a diorama would be BIG too - we have a long road to travel - so 'let's see' eh...

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Treat each sub-section of your KT (Each wheel, the engine deck, glacis, turret, gun barrel etc) as a whole model and you won't go far wrong!

 

Rearguards,

Badder

 

Thanks mate - that is probably the best tip I've picked up in a long time - I LIKE IT - it's a great idea - I can focus on the 'smaller details' - cheers buddy

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Words of wisdom from badder, you'll nail it Steve I'm sure, when I had a bash at 72nd in the panzer gb I was way out of my depth but it turned out in the end, all the best

Hey Hewy - upscaling or downscaling is always 'alien' - it's almost like you are starting from scratch...  My background was 1/48 aircraft - before dipping my toe in the water with 1/72 AFVs.  I have found them so much fun and I've met some fantastic guys who have offered me great advice along the way.  Mentors like that are a rare thing.

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see you here and with a 1/35 kit to boot!! Can't wait to see you work your magic in a larger scale!! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix - no pressure there then eh ;)  I promise - scout's honour - I'll d my best to keep everyone 'amused' - if not 'amazed' with my build :whistle: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive built one of these many years ago. They build up nicely, and it will definitely be bigger in comparison to your 1/72nd trio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Saturday Folks.  Just a quick update before I get going in earnest.  I've lashed out on a few extras as follows...

 

Since I first opened the box a couple of months back I have been having my doubts about the rubber tracks.  The only build I have done with rubber tracks was the old Airfix Sherman in the classic Airfix GB and I wasn't happy with them.  I found these online...

 

TAMVI-017.jpg

 

...and well within my 'skill set'.  I also saw these too - but - they were a bit 'pricey'...

 

TAMVI-023.jpg

 

...they come ready made - so I guess you would be paying for the 'labour' - they do look lovely though and I may yet succumb and order a set - but we'll have to see how the build progresses.

 

Some 'metalwork' I have purchased are a machine gun barrel...

 

TAMVI-024.jpg

 

a main gun barrel - that I glued up as the first job this morning...

 

TAMVI-025.jpg

 

...some shells and cases...

 

TAMVI-020.jpg

 

...though I think these will vanish forever inside the turret and my good buddy Ben sent me some grilles...

 

TAMVI-021.jpg

 

I also ordered some Zimmerit...

 

TAMVI-018.jpg

 

...but on opening it this morning I'm having my doubts...

 

TAMVI-019.jpg

 

I think I may give this a miss.  Finally I have lashed out on some of the 'quick setting' Tamiya extra thin glue...

 

TAMVI-022.jpg

 

With shopping to do and the cup final later I'm not sure how far I'll get today - but at least I won't be distracted by eurovision - so we'll see eh.

 

Happy modelling - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bunch of bits Steve, the Zimmermit will look good once it's on! Promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Steve

 

That's a great project you have there. I've seen some good results with the zimmerit and it's a lot quicker than using filler and a blade.

 

The individual track links look rather nice - I have Tamiya's for a Tiger 1 and was quite happy with them. The metal ones are nice, but a serious investment.

 

Not sure I can offer much advice as not built many 1/35 kits, but can chip in with bucket fulls of encouragement!

 

All the best

Ben

 

Ps - the quick drying glue is great stuff.

Edited by badger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like it’s going to be a fascinating project.

Kind regards,

Stix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting project Steve

I can't say I've built a King Tiger either - or not in this scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the first 1/35 scale AFV I ever bought, I can still remember seeing it in the shop window and really wanting it, but it was completely out of pocket money range. Then I was treated to it by my mum, I must have been good for once !

 

When I got home I found out it was the version with the electric motor in it !

 

On reflection I didn't do the kit justice, but I did learn a great deal about kit building and electric motors gears etc.

 

I hope you don't mind if I follow this build :popcorn:

 

cheers Pat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

This was the first 1/35 scale AFV I ever bought, I can still remember seeing it in the shop window and really wanting it, but it was completely out of pocket money range. Then I was treated to it by my mum, I must have been good for once !

 

When I got home I found out it was the version with the electric motor in it !

 

On reflection I didn't do the kit justice, but I did learn a great deal about kit building and electric motors gears etc.

 

I hope you don't mind if I follow this build :popcorn:

 

cheers Pat

 

Hey Pat, it would be smashing to have you along for the ride - there looks to be plenty of room on board.  It is proving to be a bit of a mind bender already - as I've been working at such a tiny scale recently.  I must remember to try to detail each bit with a bit more 'accuracy' - at 1/72 I've been getting away with splashing on a bit of paint and some dust - then standing well back and admiring the view.  If I'm not careful I'll need to stand 4 times further away for it to look good. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - inspired by the other builds kicking off I've made a start - with the wheels.

 

TAMVI-032.jpg

 

There are 2 types - inner and outer...

 

TAMVI-033.jpg

 

TAMVI-034.jpg

 

This is the backs of the outer tracks and they just need a cap on the fronts...

 

TAMVI-037.jpg

 

...well that was easy enough.  Next up the inside wheels...

 

TAMVI-038.jpg

 

these have a 'spindle' and as I want to pull the wheels on and off I used a drill bit to 'line the spindles up' whilst the fast setting Tamiya extra thin got a grip.

 

TAMVI-039.jpg

 

TAMVI-040.jpg

 

This fast setting stuff is really good - but it 'smells a little different' to the normal stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I have a keen amateurs question - did KING TIGERS have rubber tyres.  Looking at mine they seem to be just steel rims and a quick google hasn't helped...

 

KT-213-Wheel-1.jpg

 

KT-213-Wheel-Numbers.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve

 

Quick answer I'm afraid as I'm up the attic stash mining.

 

They didn't - all steel.

 

All the best

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, badger said:

I'm up the attic stash mining.

This expression tickled me a lot! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

 

Quick answer I'm afraid as I'm up the attic stash mining.

 

They didn't - all steel.

 

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - I was showing my ignorance and could have easily come a cropper - I hope you find what your looking for in the loft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now completed the sprockets and the idlers too...

 

TAMVI-035.jpg

 

TAMVI-036.jpg

 

The various locating pins made this very easy and those black nylon caps are inside - but I'm still beggared if I understand their purpose.

 

Anyway - time to pop these to one side, whilst I get to work on the lower hull and suspension.

 

TAMVI-041.jpg

 

I can't wait to try them for size.

 

Thanks for looking - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I'm safely back down from the attic I can send a proper reply.

 

Excellent progress so far! In my (limited) experience, tamiya kits really do build nicely.

 

Think the black poly caps are there to make a tight join for the wheels onto the axles, but also to allow them to be removed if needed (especially as many tamiya tanks were originally designed to be motorised).

 

The nice thing about steel rims is that there is no tricky tyre to paint!

 

All the best

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BIG X said:

At this point I have a keen amateurs question - did KING TIGERS have rubber tyres.  Looking at mine they seem to be just steel rims and a quick google hasn't helped...

 

Hi Steve, As Ben said all KT's had resilient steel wheels, the rubbery bit was inside the wheel not around the outside edge, I took this photo of a sectioned wheel while on my last visit to Bovington.  I'm building the Dragon kit so if there is anything you need help with let me know.

IMG_0204

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, badger said:

Now I'm safely back down from the attic I can send a proper reply.

 

Excellent progress so far! In my (limited) experience, tamiya kits really do build nicely.

 

Think the black poly caps are there to make a tight join for the wheels onto the axles, but also to allow them to be removed if needed (especially as many tamiya tanks were originally designed to be motorised).

 

The nice thing about steel rims is that there is no tricky tyre to paint!

 

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - glad you made it down in one piece from the loft - I'm looking forward to the impending 'surprise' - I know you will impress ;) 

21 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Steve, As Ben said all KT's had resilient steel wheels, the rubbery bit was inside the wheel not around the outside edge, I took this photo of a sectioned wheel while on my last visit to Bovington.  I'm building the Dragon kit so if there is anything you need help with let me know.

IMG_0204

 

Thanks Bob - that is an amazing picture.  I'm already following your build - so any advice you can offer will be appreciated and hopefully e can cheer each other on.

 

Cheers - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to be a big beastie - looking forward to it! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve, I had a another look through your thread,  For the most part the breakdown of your Tamiya and my Dragon kit are very similar, and I imagine the Tamiya individual track links are much like the Dragon magic tracks (lots of ejector pin marks)  The picture of the metal tracks look to me like the very last type used in the last two months of the war, you will need different sprockets (18 tooth type) to fit those.  And finally the nice metal machine gun barrel (I also have one ) I checked my reference books and its not the type used on the KT, they had a M.G. with a splinter proof armoured jacket, not a perforated one.  Hope this helps.

 

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...