1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Folks - well it's been a while as they say...

I've just realised it is 3 weeks since I last updated my WIP.  Progress has been 'slow', but fun.  So here are a few things that have moved along.

Work continues on my 'ruin'...

TAMVI-235.jpg

TAMVI-236.jpg

The 'modular' dirt has some dust added and a good hairspraying to fix everything down...

TAMVI-237.jpg

TAMVI-238.jpg

TAMVI-239.jpg

TAMVI-240.jpg

I finished off by adding a 'few more' bricks - remembering 'less is more' - for once...

• Like 6

It's amazing how much time I seem to 'waste' - just pondering things.  Days at a time can drift by without anything actually 'happening'.  I spent several days thinking about where to place my 'ruin' geographically.  I considered Antwerp & Caen, but settled on a small village in Normandy called Cheux.  Not the home of the Cheaux Bun - unfortunately - but the scene of some severe fighting during the D-Day campaign.

Thinking ahead – the British 11th Armoured Division were very active in and around Cheux with

• HQ 29th ARMOURED BRIGADE
  • 23rd HUSSARS
  • 3rd ROYAL TANK REGIMENT
  • 2nd FIFE AND FORFAR YEOMANRY
  • 8th BATTALION RIFLE BRIGADE
  • 13th (HAC) REGIMENT ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY
  • 151st FIELD REGIMENT ROYAL ARTILLERY (AYRSHIRE YEOMANRY) TA
  • 75th ANTI-TANK REGIMENT ROYAL ARTILLERY
  • 2nd NORTHAMPTONSHIRE YEOMANRY
  • CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS
  • 75th ANTI-TANK REGIMENT ROYAL ARTILLERY

…all seeing action in the village.  Sadly the division lost 87 men during late June & early August 1944.

The village itself is south west of Carpiquet Airfield and on a main route to Caen itself.  Thanks to the wonders of google maps I was able to drop down to ‘street level’ and take a ‘virtual’ walkaround of the streets.  With the number of new build houses it is easy to tell that a lot of the older buildings must have been ruined during the fighting.  I settled on a street corner at the beginning of the road known as the ‘RUE DU CAEN’ – where it intersects with the ‘RUE DU TRIPOT’.  One side has an old building – but the other corner has a new build estate of houses – implying some older houses were situated there in the past.  So the decision was made and I thought a couple of street signs were in order.

Here is a 'screen grab' of the opposite side of the street as it is today...

TAMVI-241.jpg

The building looks old - but the street sign is new.  A bit of searching revealed the street signs may have had white writing on a mid blue background - so I made these...

TAMVI-242.jpg

TAMVI-243.jpg

So I scaled them down and printed a few off...

TAMVI-244.jpg

Here's the result...

TAMVI-245.jpg

...more in a bit - Steve

• Like 8

I don't know if you remember but - this little chap invaded my house at the start of this GB...

TAMVI-071.jpg

...well ever since then he has been pestering me to include him in the diorama - so here he is...

TAMVI-250.jpg

Needless to say - he has been all over the house...

TAMVI-252.jpg

TAMVI-253.jpg

TAMVI-254.jpg

TAMVI-251.jpg

...I'll bet he clears off when the Germans arrive though :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Watch out kitty - THE GERMANS ARE COMING!!!

TAMVI-255.jpg

TAMVI-256.jpg

These are my first attempts at 1/35 figures and I have struggled to get any facial definition - but I'll have to practice I guess.

Couldn't resist a 'penny shot' though...

TAMVI-257.jpg

...and for the overseas members - the 'Tamiya Pot Shot'...

TAMVI-258.jpg

The main thing I liked about these were the uniform decals - giving detail I could never achieve with a brush - well done Tamiya - lots of fun.

Thanks for looking in folks - Steve

• Like 10

I wondered where you’d got to Steve! 😁

i don’t know how you’re planning on setting up the diorama but kitty may add to it......👍

• Haha 1

I think I'm going to call this project 'finished'  I still want to do a million things - but with just a few days of the GB left I will settle for getting the Tiger into the gallery section for now.  I've still got shells & casings / buckets & oil drums / ammo loading guys & their packing crates - not to mention an entire village street to finish...

I may have been a 'little ambitious' for my first 1/35 build - so I'll move my ruin to the diorama section - which is a quiet little back water and I can continue my experiments in relative solitude.

Thanks for all the support folks - Steve  

• Like 2

OK - my 5 pictures are in the gallery and I have to admit that photographing it was a PITA - it's so BIG!!!  I normally pop my 1/72 vehicles in the spray booth and shine a light through the frosted top - but this beast would not play ball.  In the end I waited for Madame X to retire for the night and I commandeered the kitchen top - with it's under lights.  They aren't the best pictures in the world and I will have to figure out how to photograph future 1/35 builds - but for now - here are the results of my handy work...

5-TAMVI-267.jpg

5-TAMVI-268.jpg

5-TAMVI-269.jpg

5-TAMVI-270.jpg 

5-TAMVI-271.jpg

5-TAMVI-273.jpg

5-TAMVI-274.jpg

5-TAMVI-275.jpg

5-TAMVI-276.jpg

5-TAMVI-277.jpg

5-TAMVI-278.jpg

5-TAMVI-279.jpg

5-TAMVI-280.jpg

5-TAMVI-281.jpg

5-TAMVI-282.jpg

5-TAMVI-283.jpg

5-TAMVI-284.jpg

5-TAMVI-285.jpg

5-TAMVI-286.jpg

5-TAMVI-287.jpg

5-TAMVI-288.jpg

5-TAMVI-289.jpg

5-TAMVI-290.jpg

5-TAMVI-291.jpg

5-TAMVI-292.jpg

5-TAMVI-293.jpg

5-TAMVI-294.jpg

Thanks for stopping by for a final gander and thanks to the organisers for hosting such a well natured GB @PlaStix & @Ozzy - Well Done Guys!!!

I will be sure to continue to cheer on the other guys as they hopefully get their Tigers over the line.

See you soon - BIG X

• Like 10

Aye up Steve.

Great job on the KT and building. The street signs really set it off! The figures are brilliant! Nice touch with the moggie... was he using the brick pile as his litter tray? 

Regards

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Haha 1

Hi Steve. That is utterly, utterly stunning! Both the KT and the figures look truly superb. Your skills in 1/72 have transfered beautifully to 1/35! I'm looking forward to seeing you build more 1/35 models!! Very well done. :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Steve, Superb tank and figures. Really impressive.

I like the lighting too. Nice contrasts, and, from above it gives 'parachute flare' shadows which (to me) add a wartime night edge.

Regards, Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments guys - it makes all the difference - so much nicer than building in solitude - I guess that's why they call it a 'group' build :grouphug:

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:13, Robert Stuart said:

Steve, that is building into a very promising diorama there.

Hi Robert - I'm just scouting through my pictures with the idea of doing a re-cap in the diorama section and then adding to it.  I need a roadway as a bare minimum - but ideally I would like a few more buildings too - we shall see... 

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:36, Ozzy said:

Wow, if that’s your first attempt at 1/35 figures Steve, I would definitely not make it your last.

Thanks Ozzy - I really struggled with the faces and in the end they were so full of flesh paint that I lost all the detail - but I really enjoyed them - so I will be doing more soon - with the idea of improving my technique.

19 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve.

Great job on the KT and building. The street signs really set it off! The figures are brilliant! Nice touch with the moggie... was he using the brick pile as his litter tray? 

Regards

Steve

Aye up yourself Steve - thanks mate and if you know where I can find 1/35 scale cat pooh :poop:let me know :lol:

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

She looks fantastic Steve, thanks for being a part of the GB.

Ozzy - the GB has been run very well and has been very good natured.  You may remember I had my doubts about joining as I initially confused @PlaStix with another member - I'm glad I realised my mistake and joined in.

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve. That is utterly, utterly stunning! Both the KT and the figures look truly superb. Your skills in 1/72 have transfered beautifully to 1/35! I'm looking forward to seeing you build more 1/35 models!! Very well done. :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix - I have been 'shopping' for a few more 1/35 kits.  I'm just about to start a 2 week holiday & I hope to get something going over the break.

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Steve, Superb tank and figures. Really impressive.

I like the lighting too. Nice contrasts, and, from above it gives 'parachute flare' shadows which (to me) add a wartime night edge.

Regards, Pete

Hiya Pete - I like the idea of a 'night shot' - maybe with even more directional lighting to form hard shadows - sadly the only reason mine looks this way is because the kitchen top is black marble and the only board I could find to hide the tiling under the units was also black :blush: DOH!!!

13 hours ago, Lawzer said:

You’ve kicked that up a notch mate!  👍

Thank you Sir - I promise faithfully to build an aircraft soooooonnnn...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Wow - I disappear off for a few weeks and come back to find you've finished it!

Well done mate - a very nice job you've made of it indeed :goodjob:

Figures are very impressive, even more so considering they're your first ones. Have to say the ruin is thoroughly excellent, especially with the cat. Really sets the scene nicely.

Have you seen Tamiya do a Cromwell in 1/35? And it has markings for 11th Armoured :poke:

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badger said:

Wow - I disappear off for a few weeks and come back to find you've finished it!

Well done mate - a very nice job you've made of it indeed :goodjob:

Figures are very impressive, even more so considering they're your first ones. Have to say the ruin is thoroughly excellent, especially with the cat. Really sets the scene nicely.

Have you seen Tamiya do a Cromwell in 1/35? And it has markings for 11th Armoured :poke:

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - praise from a 'mentor' means a lot - I have you to thank for a lot of things - including the cable to the frontal spot light - a small detail - but it makes a big difference.

As for the ruin - I have now made an MDF bevelled edged black base @ 12" x 30" - so it's going to need A LOT of filling with more buildings and a decent road section.

I'm moving it to the diorama section - so please pop by and feel free to offer some sage advice - it is always appreciated.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 14:03, BIG X said:

I don't know if you remember but - this little chap invaded my house at the start of this GB...

TAMVI-071.jpg

...well ever since then he has been pestering me to include him in the diorama - so here he is...

TAMVI-250.jpg

Needless to say - he has been all over the house...

TAMVI-252.jpg

TAMVI-253.jpg

TAMVI-254.jpg

TAMVI-251.jpg

...I'll bet he clears off when the Germans arrive though :lol:

Great result. And funny, I recently added the Tamiya cat in our colors as well to my recent scene.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 18:03, BIG X said:

Watch out kitty - THE GERMANS ARE COMING!!!

TAMVI-255.jpg

TAMVI-256.jpg

These are my first attempts at 1/35 figures and I have struggled to get any facial definition - but I'll have to practice I guess.

Couldn't resist a 'penny shot' though...

TAMVI-257.jpg

...and for the overseas members - the 'Tamiya Pot Shot'...

TAMVI-258.jpg

The main thing I liked about these were the uniform decals - giving detail I could never achieve with a brush - well done Tamiya - lots of fun.

Thanks for looking in folks - Steve

Splendid job on the figures and gosh, you did them all and arranged them like on the cover artwork. MASTER!

Wonder how I could have missed your build report. Ehh, no, it is in the Group Build section :(

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Great result. And funny, I recently added the Tamiya cat in our colors as well to my recent scene.

Thanks Soeren - I still have the second cat in reserve - hopefully my skills will improve and I can do it more justice.

26 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Splendid job on the figures and gosh, you did them all and arranged them like on the cover artwork. MASTER!

Wonder how I could have missed your build report. Ehh, no, it is in the Group Build section :(

If you think the build was hidden in a GB area - wait until I move my ruin to the diorama section - it may never be seen again :lol:

• Haha 2

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late response, but I assure you that I was following progress when I had a spare moment from rushing to get my Tiger to some presentable state. I am still working on my Tiger, but I have been going down the list of participants who made it to the gallery, and now it's your turn.

It's been said before, but we all knew your 1/72nd skills would transfer most favourably to 1/35th. You've certainly hit a high standard in this scale, straight off the bat. Your KT is a beauty. The camo scheme is a work of art in itself, all very neat and balanced effectively, with lovely colours and tones.

Your figure set is one of the better ones from Tamiya, with great details, nice poses and all body parts in good proportions but still, they could easily be ruined by bad painting. Your figures, unsurprisingly, have been painted beautifully. Black uniforms aren't easy to 'pull off' fnar fnar but you've nailed them. I'd be interested to know which colour/mix you used for the dry-brushing?

And your ruined building is most excellent. I am looking forward to everything coming together in a little dio. You do know that the building is going to be dwarfed though!

Congrats again on producing a top-notch KT, a certain contender for the 'trophy'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late response, but I assure you that I was following progress when I had a spare moment from rushing to get my Tiger to some presentable state. I am still working on my Tiger, but I have been going down the list of participants who made it to the gallery, and now it's your turn.

It's been said before, but we all knew your 1/72nd skills would transfer most favourably to 1/35th. You've certainly hit a high standard in this scale, straight off the bat. Your KT is a beauty. The camo scheme is a work of art in itself, all very neat and balanced effectively, with lovely colours and tones.

Your figure set is one of the better ones from Tamiya, with great details, nice poses and all body parts in good proportions but still, they could easily be ruined by bad painting. Your figures, unsurprisingly, have been painted beautifully. Black uniforms aren't easy to 'pull off' fnar fnar but you've nailed them. I'd be interested to know which colour/mix you used for the dry-brushing?

And your ruined building is most excellent. I am looking forward to everything coming together in a little dio. You do know that the building is going to be dwarfed though!

Congrats again on producing a top-notch KT, a certain contender for the 'trophy'.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks mate - it was all really good fun and has certainly been a boost to the old mojo.  I'm definitely going to have a crack at some other 1/35 Tamiya kits and I've lined up a Citroen 11CV and an Opel Blitz cargo truck as my next likely victims.

I think I have 'some way to go' when it comes to figure painting - especially faces.  I've been watching a few videos on YouTube and I've ordered some 'inks' which I'm going to have a play with.  In preparation I've primed 18 various figures this morning - whilst the site was down.

As for the uniform colour/mix - I cheated by painting them in Vallejo Tyre Black - which is really a dark grey - then filled in the creases on the uniforms with a black Flory wash.  Luckily this gave me the effect I was looking for - without having to master any 'dry brush' techniques.

The ruin was a real eye opener - I was amazed at what I ended up with - considering the starting point.  I've been googling French street pictures as I fancy a few more buildings - that haven't been blasted down to the ground as much as this one - but it is going to take some time.

Thanks for the appraisal - praise indeed for such an expert.

BIG X - Steve 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BIG X said:

The ruin was a real eye opener - I was amazed at what I ended up with - considering the starting point.  I've been googling French street pictures as I fancy a few more buildings - that haven't been blasted down to the ground as much as this one - but it is going to take some time.

Thanks for the appraisal - praise indeed for such an expert.

I am no expert, but thanks!

I love making buildings. You can really go to town on them (or the countryside) I can't wait to get back to my ruined farm house and start on the collapsed roof and walls with piles of rubbe, roof tiles and rafters etc. I'd recommend searching out some of the better MiniArt kits and making latex moulds of the walls etc for casting copies in plaster. I have several of their kits and can cast a variety of different wall types whenever I wish.

That aside, I look forward to your further adventures into 1/35th and dio work in particular.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++