1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Whilst remaining 'restrained' I set to work on the hull...

TAMVI-202.jpg

TAMVI-202a.jpg

TAMVI-203.jpg

TAMVI-203a.jpg

TAMVI-204.jpg

TAMVI-204a.jpg

TAMVI-205.jpg

TAMVI-205a.jpg

TAMVI-206.jpg

TAMVI-206a.jpg

TAMVI-207.jpg

TAMVI-207a.jpg

TAMVI-208.jpg

TAMVI-208a.jpg

Finally...  I bought some 'mud splashes' from Vallejo and I had a quick 'experiment' on the underside this morning - do I??????

TAMVI-209.jpg

I'll go and have another play first I think.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 7

That looks excellent mate! Glad the damage wasn't too severe as it would be a shame if this didn't get finished.

The flag is a nice touch and adds a splash of colour.

Go for it with the mud splashes - looks great!

What colour did you use for the wooden tool handles as it's really effective?

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, badger said:

That looks excellent mate! Glad the damage wasn't too severe as it would be a shame if this didn't get finished.

The flag is a nice touch and adds a splash of colour.

Go for it with the mud splashes - looks great!

What colour did you use for the wooden tool handles as it's really effective?

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the support - it's always needed with me ;)

As for the wood - I used 'wood' - Vallejo Model Air 71.077

I'm relieved I got it back on track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Steve, HUGE WOW! from me.

Cheers Pete - this 1/35 nonsense is a whole different ball game - fun though - when it works.

It's been a 'tough' week - but hopefully I can bring it home in one piece.

The final leg is always the toughest.

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve. Fantastic news that the issue wasn't as bad as it could have been and your remedial and follow up progress is looking superb. This is going to be a stunning KT! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

An impressive 35th scale model in the making steve,the step up in scale hasn't  caused any problems at all, in fact its almost certainly helped , your eye for detail in  72nd scale looks to be paying dividends here, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday Model Fans...

It's been more of the same this week 'baby steps' that don't show any progress on their own - so just the final results of getting the wheels and tracks on / adding the skirts / making an aerial / applying splashes / getting the spare track links on the turret / mounting the turret MG / a general grimy- dusty wash and a matt varnish to seal it all.

TAMVI-210.jpg

TAMVI-211.jpg

TAMVI-212.jpg

TAMVI-213.jpg

...thanks for stopping by and remember - don't waste a valuable weekend - get stuck in model fans - Steve

• Like 8

Hi Steve,

You've produced a cracker there.  Like Glynn, I did think that your 1/72nd skills would prove very successful in the step-up to 1/35th.  If I went down to 1/72nd I'd be great at producing poorly painted tank-shaped blobs of glue.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 2

Today I'm hoping to make the pavement and curb stone edge for my 'ruin'.  I've just been preparing some 1.4mm black styrene from WALTONS in Altrincham and I have some 'paving' sheets from PLASTIKARD.  The main problem with the plastikard is that isn't made from styrene.  It's 'plastic' - but doesn't react to normal liquid poly adhesives and PVA simply peels off it too.  I bought some 'general purpose' glue from Asda yesterday and it is very 'sticky' - so I'm going to have a play with some off cuts first to see how the styrene and plastikard stick together with it.

Some progress later - I hope.

Steve

• Like 1

Well - I've been having a 'play'.  The experiment with the plastikard and the black styrene showed if you put enough liquid poly on the styrene it melts enough to hold the plastikard...

TAMVI-214.jpg

With the amount needed I used an old 'dirty' bottle of Tamiya and splashed it on with a pipette...

TAMVI-215.jpg

This was the result - styrene...

TAMVI-218.jpg

...then the plastikard...

TAMVI-217.jpg

...followed by a bit of 'weight to make sure they were firmly press together and more importantly - flat...

TAMVI-216.jpg

I'm giving it another half hour or so - then on with the next steps.

Happy Sunday - Steve

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well that worked - if a little 'whiffy'...  I've cut a slightly larger 'rectangle' of styrene - to hold the 'debris' and 'rubble' at the rear and with a step at the front to hold the curbing...

TAMVI-219.jpg

By raising the paving it creates height at the back for a void under the floorboards...

TAMVI-220.jpg

TAMVI-221.jpg

Anyway - time for the curbs...

TAMVI-222.jpg

They just need to set a little before I round them off and add the joint - back shortly...

• Like 5

WOOHOO - I've been having some proper fun today - this pavement malarkey is really getting me sucked in.  my 'curb' is now razor sawed to show individual curb stones...

TAMVI-223.jpg

A quick double check of the building alignment...

TAMVI-224.jpg

TAMVI-225.jpg

and it's time for primer...

TAMVI-226.jpg

I'm going for a two tone sandy brown pavement - more after tea - I hope...

Steve

• Like 6

It's been a 'rare' day - I've had so much fun - it really does make a pleasant change.  I got the primer on and a first sandy coat for the paving stones...

TAMVI-227.jpg

TAMVI-228.jpg

I contemplated a second shade of brown for contrast - but had a sudden 'eureka moment' - I got the Tamiya SMOKE out - and I'm really pleased with the contrast....

TAMVI-229.jpg

...so without delay it was on with a gloss coat and then a 'panel wash' of dark dirt for the pavement....

TAMVI-230.jpg

compared to the starting point on the right I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Steve

• Like 4

In between messing with the pavement I began work on the rubble at the rear of the ruin...

TAMVI-231.jpg

TAMVI-232.jpg

...DON'T PANIC!!!!!!

...it's 'modular'...

TAMVI-233.jpg

TAMVI-234.jpg

...it still needs some bricks / a few planks / some earth shaded dust - but I need to wait until tomorrow when I can get some fine spray glue from work to add the next layer.

All in all it's been a good day.  Thanks for popping in for a peek - Steve

• Like 6

Excellent progress mate - far more than I've managed recently and really like how the building is coming together.

Made me laugh as I have the same "Nazi Hunters" book in my to read pile :cwl: (Ooh I can get emoji again as they didn't work on my old phone!).

More importantly - glad you are having fun with it again.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, badger said:

I have the same "Nazi Hunters" book in my to read pile :cwl:

All the best

Ben

It is an amazing read - very tragic in parts - but very inspiring all the same - such courage.  The title doesn't do it justice as it more about the British operation and the criminal deeds of the perpetrators than the actual 'hunters' themselves. 

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It is an amazing read - very tragic in parts - but very inspiring all the same - such courage.  The title doesn't do it justice as it more about the British operation and the criminal deeds of the perpetrators than the actual 'hunters' themselves. 

Cheers Steve 

Have read his "Churchills Secret Warriors" a couple of years ago and really enjoyed that.

Will have to move it up the pile.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Rapid, yet fantastic progress Steve. I'm guessing this is just half of the dio cos I can't see how else you'd fit a KT on there. Whatever, it's gonna look great.

BTW when I fix large sheets of plasticard to wood, foam board (or FTINFBISS) or other plastic sheet, I expect the plasticard to age, warp and lift in the distant future, so I will screw the top sheet down through the next sheet/layer and into the base (counter-sinking the top sheet of course) With screws at each corner, and dotted along the edges, I'll spread the rest about in the middle areas. If I'm using this method, I'll score the bottom of the top sheet and the top of the next sheet to provide a key for PVA. Yes, a lot will squeeze out from the sides when the screws are tightened, but what remains is plenty enough (when cured) to glue and hold the two sheets together, even without the screws.

Reguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1