1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

gloss sealing varnish...

TAMVI-178.jpg

TAMVI-179.jpg

I don't know if it was the 'filter' - being solvent based - but the gloss didn't go down too well - it dried with a very 'gritty' or more accurately 'reticulated' finish...

TAMVI-180.jpg

...oh well - no pain - no gain - so I left this over night and glossed again this morning - as it will have 2 days to harden before I get home...

TAMVI-181.jpg

TAMVI-182.jpg

fingers crossed - ooh btw - I forgot - I applied 'smoke' to the muzzle...

TAMVI-176.jpg

...trust me - it dried lovely ;)

Thanks - Steve

• Like 9

Great progress Steve. That filter definitely worked. I wouldn't worry about the 'reticulated' finish. After the weathering and matt coat, that'll look nice.

Oh, just a thought - your floorboards. Often they were painted with bitumen to help prevent woodworm, so I often paint mine black, then give them a sanding to bring out the grain. If you splash some thin CA about the floor before applying the black wash, and then sand back, you can get some nice effects.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawzer said:

coming on nicely steve! 👍

Cheers matey - decals next I think....

Coming along rather well steve, the filter has worked splendidly, I'm  in two minds whether to blend mine with a filter or the oils , what gloss did you use?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hewy said:

Coming along rather well steve, the filter has worked splendidly, I'm  in two minds whether to blend mine with a filter or the oils , what gloss did you use?

The gloss - I always use Humbrol acrylic clear gloss - I like it as it's easy to clean up after and problems are few and far between.  On reflection the slightly 'stippled' effect may 'hold' my Flory wash a little better - we will see - the excitement is palpable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick update on the 'ruined' building...

This is where I was up to the other day - when I applied a few different colours to the brickwork...

TAMVI-177.jpg

...and after some 'blending'...

TAMVI-183.jpg

...a gloss coat - then the drain pipe added and some 'grouting'....

TAMVI-184.jpg

TAMVI-185.jpg

TAMVI-186.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result - considering the starting point.

• Like 9

Turret decaled and wet gloss coat applied to seal them...

TAMVI-187.jpg

TAMVI-188.jpg

I need to do some badges now on the bodywork.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

I've just noticed I need to darken the 'chips' in the windowsills...

If anything Steve, I'd suggest darkening the window sills and leaving the chips the 'fresher' lighter colour that they are.

Whatever, you've produced a nice little ruin. I hope you've got a tonne of loose bricks left and lots of plasticard roof tiles to make piles of rubble? Oh, and wooden beams and floorboards of course!

Your KT is looking great with its numbers on. Believe me, the KT is the easy bit! (compared to the diorama)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

If anything Steve, I'd suggest darkening the window sills and leaving the chips the 'fresher' lighter colour that they are.

Whatever, you've produced a nice little ruin. I hope you've got a tonne of loose bricks left and lots of plasticard roof tiles to make piles of rubble? Oh, and wooden beams and floorboards of course!

Your KT is looking great with its numbers on. Believe me, the KT is the easy bit! (compared to the diorama)

Rearguards,

Badder

Bricks at the ready...

TAMVI-189.jpg

• Like 2

The 'interior' of my ruin has been painted - pale blue downstairs and a pale pink in the front bedroom.  The plaster has obviously been damaged by a 'blast' or maybe and including some 'fire' - so it looks a bit rough and dirty - anyway - the floors are in...

TAMVI-190.jpg

TAMVI-191.jpg

All good 'scratch built' fun...

• Like 6

Ones step forward - two steps back today...  The gloss had dried on my Tiger so time for a 'brown' wash with Flory.  I decided to do the turret first.  To brush apply or airbrush on - that was the question.  I decided to go the airbrush route and applied 'way too much' - I have made this mistake before - so I let it dry and began sponging it off - no joy - just a completely brown turret - not good.

So remembering something I saw on the Flory website - I decided to 'power wash' the wash off with water from the airbrush.  I overdid it...  I flooded on so much water that the acrylic gloss varnish has gone 'sticky'.  I've got fingerprints in the gloss and some 'smears' of the brown wash are now fixed in the varnish coat.

I know when I'm beat - so I'm going to leave it for a couple of days to see if the varnish hardens - oh the joys...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Sad 6

Just catching up with your progress - really impressed with your building.

Fingers crossed the varnish will dry and things can be sorted out as it was looking really good so far.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

'Worse things happen at sea' as they say guys - that's why the furthest I've been at sea is the ferry from Holyhead to Dún Laoghaire :doh:

It's my own fault - I was being a person - trying to rush things - oh well we live and learn - I'm definitely not touching the turret for a day or two - but there is always something else to keep me occupied - I'll just pop it somewhere where I can't see it - as it's making me feel a bit sick.  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just done a catch up from the start, Steve. Looking rather nice.

38 minutes ago, BIG X said:

oh well we live and learn

That's modelling for you!

BTW I spotted a few bits I'd found in my spares boxes and used on my scratchbuilds!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

'Worse things happen at sea' as they say guys - that's why the furthest I've been at sea is the ferry from Holyhead to Dún Laoghaire :doh:

It's my own fault - I was being a person - trying to rush things - oh well we live and learn - I'm definitely not touching the turret for a day or two - but there is always something else to keep me occupied - I'll just pop it somewhere where I can't see it - as it's making me feel a bit sick.  :blush:

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the varnish. I had the exact problem with my first every Nashorn - some heavy water washes reacted with bicarb 'snow' on the model and the varnish softened and came away, along with paint layers underneath. The Nashorn was pretty much completed at that point, so varnish and paint coming away in patches over the exterior, interior AND on the gun would normally have been a 'bin job'. However, costing as much as it did, I decided to strip the entire model back to the plastic, using just a water-loaded brush and in fiddly places, aided with a scalpel. It took me a couple of weeks, but the result was a fully constructed 'naked' Nashorn.

If my stashed KT ever went the same way I'd have no qualms at all about stripping it back. It's a putting green compared to the Himalayas that is the Nashorn. 

If all else fails, I'd consider 'washing' your KT turret back to (hopefully) the camo coat, or base coat, or (at the worst) the plastic.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the varnish. I had the exact problem with my first every Nashorn - some heavy water washes reacted with bicarb 'snow' on the model and the varnish softened and came away, along with paint layers underneath. The Nashorn was pretty much finished by that point, so varnish and paint coming away in patches over the exterior, interior AND on the gun would normally have been a 'bin job'. However, costing as much as it did, I decided to strip the entire model back to the plastic, using just water-loaded brush and in fiddly places, aided with a scalpel. It took me a couple of weeks, but the result was a fully constructed 'naked' Nashorn.

If my stashed KT ever went the same way I'd have no qualms at all about stripping it back. It's putting green compared to the Himalayas that is the Nashorn. 

If all else fails, I'd consider 'washing' your KT turret back to (hopefully) the camo coat, or base coat, or (at the worst) the plastic.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks for the wise words mate - I'll take a peak in a couple of days and see where I'm up to - in the meantime I can see what I can do to 'wreck' my diorama :lol:

Very best rearguards - Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Steve. Really sorry to hear of the varnish issues. Never a fun time when that kind of thing happens. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Morning Lads,

Well another week has crept by and after the disaster last weekend with the melting Humbrol gloss I left my Tiger to see if my wreckless behaviour would correct itself with a few days rest for the varnish to dry and harden.  So the first part of the week was spent playing with my ruin.

Here is a quick resume...

I started with the Tamiya brick walls and a bit of chunky evergreen and went from this...

TAMVI-090.jpg

...to this basic first paint job...

TAMVI-192.jpg

TAMVI-193.jpg

I'm still working on the 'rubble' aspects - but the main building has been recoloured / drainpipe added / grouting done / interior painted / flooring installed / matt coated...

TAMVI-194.jpg

TAMVI-195.jpg

TAMVI-196.jpg

TAMVI-197.jpg

...ooh - not forgetting a cheeky flag made from some masking tape and a cocktail stick.

• Like 5

When I finally plucked up courage to return to my Tiger turret - I found only very small traces of the brown wash had actually leeched into the gloss varnish.  So yesterday I gently sponged off the remaining brown stuff and then started to apply a 'subtle' black wash - with a small brush and lots of patience.  This was then taken back with a bit of spit and some kitchen roll.

It's no masterpiece - but it is a million times better than it was this time last week...

TAMVI-198.jpg

TAMVI-199.jpg

TAMVI-200.jpg

TAMVI-201.jpg

Next up - the hull and fenders.

• Like 5