1/35 Tamiya King Tiger +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I'm keen to get as much done today as I possibly can - as it's back to work tomorrow - for what is going to be a 'heavy week'.  Anyway - I did some work on the hatches.

This is the inside of the loaders hatch - which I would like to leave open...

TAMVI-121.jpg

I glued the engine hatch down - after sanding it to give an even gap all the way round...

TAMVI-122.jpg

I glued the handles on the front hatches - leaving the sprue gate attached...

TAMVI-125.jpg

I will snip them off wen the hand;es have set.

I missed these before - rear exhausts - I BET THEY WERE NOISY...

TAMVI-118.jpg

• Like 5

On 01/06/2019 at 20:35, BIG X said:

I'm no architect and certainly no brickie - but I decided I needed a 'double skin' - for any sense of 'realism' and the layers needed to be off set to each other.  Anyway a short time later - I had a corner...

Just catching up Steve, your double skin brickwork  (9inch as we call it) looks good to me, no sign of spreading 😁👍, nice touch, wanna job👏

• Haha 3

Looks like you are making excellent progress Steve, both with your KT and the scenic walling! Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Happy Saturday Tiger Fans...

I haven't got much done on this during the week - though I have been cheering others on and there is some smashing work taking place in the GB.

Anyway - here is a meagre update on my 'tinkering'...

With regards to my 'diorama' or 'vignette' or whatever - I sent off for a few cans / barrels / buckets to go in or near the wreckage of the building...

TAMVI-030.jpg

I have also knocked up a 'drain pipe' - but it does need thinning out at the bottom / some fixing scratching / some splinter damage at the top...

TAMVI-127.jpg

Not a lot to show - but there are a few weeks to go yet.

I've been messing about with all the bits that 'hang of the sides'.  Here is the axe and the spade / shovel...

TAMVI-123.jpg

TAMVI-124.jpg

I wasn't overly happy with the 'retaining' bits - but I'll live with it on the axe - though I couldn't resist sanding it off the shovel...

TAMVI-130.jpg

If I have committed a major crime - please forgive me.

• Like 2

I did get all the 'bits' stuck on sticks and primed...

TAMVI-128.jpg

TAMVI-131.jpg

...unfortunately the tank commander is as 'blurred' as he looks...

TAMVI-132.jpg

...so I  also sent for these...

TAMVI-031.jpg

They seem 'crisper'.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Steve, are you going to scratch the brackets?

drain pipe brackets - yes.

I have a quick question - if I may - what on earth are these...

TAMVI-126.jpg

As far as I can make out I've stuck everything on the lid and still have these rather random looking holes - HELP

• Like 1

A quick investigation of my 1/72 Tigers show the same 'protrusions' - so I guess they have a purpose - though I have no clue what they are...

TAMVI-138.jpg

Anyway - I have managed to get my steel rimmed wheels painted - as I'm guessing if the rims were painted it would wear off pretty quickly...

TAMVI-135.jpg

TAMVI-136.jpg

TAMVI-137.jpg

I now need to consider adding some rust or dirt to highlight the 'nuts and bolts'.

Thanks for stopping by - Steve

• Like 7

Hi Steve

Excellent progress mate. Really looking forward to the diorama.

The random bits are sockets for a piltzen or jib, presumably for engine changes.

It's the crane arrangement in the top right of this picture

2019-06-08_12-48-13

Your wheels are looking really good, the metallic shade looks just right.

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Nice progress since I last looked. I've had a bit of a hard week so I've been too tired to read through all the WIPs.

I assume you left the sprue gates on the hatch handles etc because it makes them easier to er.... handle - a nice idea IF you can clean them off properly afterwards. I'm not sure I could!

I am jealous of the wide range of figures you can choose from. There are far fewer winter tank crew about and even fewer with 'action' poses. I may have to do some limb amputations and transplants. I' looking forward to seeing your dio/vignette.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps the 'like' button has vanished from my screen for ALL posts, so don't think I'm being mean!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have a quick question - if I may - what on earth are these...

TAMVI-126.jpg

As far as I can make out I've stuck everything on the lid and still have these rather random looking holes - HELP

I seemed to have missed a complete page Steve, nice job on the building.

not sure if these add any value? The tubing appeared from June 1944, I've scoured the book but doesn't say what there for. They could be for cam poles or fixing positions for steel plate?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't updated my build in nearly a month - though I have been having a 'tinker' - off and on.  It just seemed that all the bits of work were so insignificant they didn't really warrant a post.  I have been taking a few snaps along the way though - so time to get back up to speed.

Firstly - on my trip to Brighton I took the liberty of 'acquiring' some coffee stirrers - for the floor boards of my ruined house...

TAMVI-139.jpg

I chopped some strips and cut some balsa to form the joists...

TAMVI-140.jpg

Then got out the balsa glue and started putting the ground floor together....

TAMVI-141.jpg

TAMVI-142.jpg

I had another 'snip' with the pliers at the damage on the front of the house...

TAMVI-143.jpg

Then marked out where the ground and first floors will fit...

TAMVI-144.jpg

I also put the base brick colour on the front...

TAMVI-145.jpg

I intend to vary the colours of the bricks using 4 different colours....

TAMVI-146.jpg

and I played with a template of sorts to try and visualize what I want - without it looking to regimented or looking like it had been built with too many different batches of bricks...

TAMVI-149.jpg

...time will tell. 

• Like 6

As I said earlier - progress has been 'bit by bit' - with lots of parts getting painted - but it didn't add up to a lot in itself...

TAMVI-150.jpg

...lots of small bits - not worthy of an update in themselves.

I then commenced on a totally pointless exercise of 'pre-shading' the bodywork...

TAMVI-151.jpg

TAMVI-152.jpg

TAMVI-153.jpg

TAMVI-154.jpg

I say totally pointless - as my painting 'skills' always lead me to add too much paint and all this will be lost - but one day I'll master it.

• Like 6

So it was on with the Dunkelgelb coat...

TAMVI-155.jpg

TAMVI-156.jpg

TAMVI-157.jpg

TAMVI-158.jpg

...hopeful looking...  ...but please don't get your hopes up...  ...I'll only disappoint you :doh:

More to come - but please don't get too excited - Steve

• Like 8

Next up was the green and red/brown...

TAMVI-162.jpg

TAMVI-163.jpg

TAMVI-164.jpg

I was going for the 'field applied' spray look - maybe done in a bit of a hurry ;)  :whistle: 

TAMVI-165.jpg

• Like 6

Excellent progress mate and worth waiting for.

Really liking the ruined building. I did one once and goggled "1930s" wallpaper. Once I found a pattern I liked I cut and pasted several copies of the picture together to make a sheet big enough for my ruin. I also printed out a rug for the floor.

Also made up some photo frames from plastic strip and put in some suitable photos I found on the internet.

King tiger looks the part as well. Notice the crewmen hasn't correctly masked to avoid over spray, and imagine he's not removed the tools either!

All the best 

Ben

• Like 3

Happy Monday folks - just time for a quick update on progress last night and this morning...

I'm on my quarterly trip to Bristol - fulfilling old obligations - so no modelling tonight or tomorrow.  However I did get some stuff done last night.

I wasn't overly happy with the way the crew had splashed the paint on the hull and turret - sloppy work...

TAMVI-166.jpg

I was finding this bit of mis-matching particularly offensive - so I've over painted a bit more green...

TAMVI-168.jpg

On the other side I cut popped on a tough more red brown to match the 'shape' of other side...

TAMVI-167.jpg

Luckily the crew had taken all the tools and spare track links off - so as not to over paint them.

TAMVI-169.jpg

• Like 4

As the Tri-Colour camo was looking a little 'stark' I decided to add a MIG Filter.  I did ask a question elsewhere on the forum about how to use it - I didn't get a straight answer - but I did nearly start a fight between two 'passionate' members.  I didn't know whether to varnish first to seal the paint or apply the filter to the bare acrylic.  In the end - to keep the peace I decided to apply the Filter to the raw acrylic.

My past 'experiments' with MIG Filters were very underwhelming - I simply couldn't see any effect.  But I had this MIG 'TAN - FOR 3 COLOUR CAMO' - so what the hell...

TAMVI-170.jpg

TAMVI-171.jpg

Now - you might not see it - but believe me - this filter has 'harmonised' the 3 colours.  You'll notice I've taped the bits of skirt on for this experiment.

I like it -  a lot. 

• Like 3

Whilst the Tan 'filter' was in the airbrush I thought I'd give the floorboards a quick coat...

TAMVI-172.jpg

A quick test fit - with blu-tak...

TAMVI-173.jpg

...then a gloss varnish to seal the colour...

TAMVI-174.jpg

TAMVI-175.jpg

The bits around the edge will be 'skirting boards' - so might get painted or stained a different colour.

We will see eh...

...a work in progress as they say.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 3