Stalker6Recon

Hello everyone!

I have come across another example of plastic breaking down into its base components, a phenomenon that I have never seen in my entire life, until I moved to the Philippines. I was wondering if someone on this site could explain what is going on, why this happens and what process is causing the failure of the plastic?

Since moving here a decade ago, I have noticed that some plastics are unfit for the climate, and actually break down. This example is from one of my unbranded airbrushes from my airbrush/compressor kit I bought 8 years ago on Amazon. What you see is the plastic hose that was included with the single action airbrush in the top corner. The hose is all plastic in a coil. I never planned to use the airbrush, so it has sat unopened for nearly a decade. While checking over my supplies and tools, I found this mess inside the case.

Another example of plastic failing in the Philippines climate.

Anyone have any idea why this happens? I thought this was interesting enough to share with the group and warn others in similar climates about the possible failure of certain plastics from exposure.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

The hose is rubber, not plastic. And rubber has a tendency of degrading over time. Exposure to direct sunlight and extreme temperatures speeds up the process. Nothing special about what happened.

• Confused 1

Interesting, I could have sworn it was plastic, rubber would have been to expandable for an unbraided hose, but you may be right. The other instances that I saw this happen was with the zipper pulls on my Vanguard camera backpack, and I am certain that it was plastic. Another instance, one of my friends has an Iron Man action figure, and only certain parts painted gold began the same process where it "leaks" and clear fluid as it begins to break down.

Anyway, this was stored inside its original case, then stored inside a plastic tub, which was in turn stored in my spare stock room for years, in the dark. So sunlight was not part of the problem.

I know what you mean with rubber, like an old rubber band. Maybe the material that I have is a hybrid, and the rubber is the part that is breaking down, that would make sense, if there is such a thing as plastic infused rubber, or visa versa.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the probable solution, makes sense now, I never considered the rubber angle, but it is very similar to the rubber band decay.

Anthony

Looks more like Polythene, Polypropolene kind of plastic .. I have coiled hose like it and it's not rubber, parts of it look shiny . Looks like it's been stored in the original box out of the light with it's tie still in place. Things do degrade over time but that looks a bit more than what you'd expect . Had mine for 20 years plus including 2 and bit years on the Costa Blanca and had no effects from that  .

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Had mine for 20 years plus

I was pretty confident that it is/was plastic, and besides having a bit of sweat, it literally crumbled in my fingers, nasty stuff. It must be a combination of poor quality plastic and the climate. I was shocked when my Vanguard bags had the same issue, only that time, it had a lot more sweat, was almost gooey when I realized the problem and tried to clean it up.

I have a pair of 3D glasses for my Samsung TV, same thing as well. I am no chemist, but this would seem like something these manufacturers would know about, yet they don't bother to stabilize their products. Imagine if these same companies were making airbags or medical suppliers, that would be disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for helping solve the riddle, just wish I knew what the process or chemical reaction actually was. The hose is actually older than my bag, but I have no clue when it began breaking down like this, could have started years ago, and I hadn't noticed.

Anthony

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Looks more like Polythene, Polypropolene kind of plastic .. I have coiled hose like it and it's not rubber, parts of it look shiny . Looks like it's been stored in the original box out of the light with it's tie still in place. Things do degrade over time but that looks a bit more than what you'd expect . Had mine for 20 years plus including 2 and bit years on the Costa Blanca and had no effects from that  .

Vinyl can be affected by solvents, could this be the problem ?

Paul

Edited by little-cars

I had some Monogram 1/16th truck tires a few years ago. I think they were made of some kind of plastic / vinyl-hybrid material. Although they looked OK at first glance, they cracked in to mutiple, tiny bits when handled. The bits looked similar to what you've experienced. 

I don't think there was an adverse temperature / exposure to sunlight influence, on this occasion. I reckon it was just down to their age. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Adding some information.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, little-cars said:

Vinyl can be affected by solvents, could this be the problem

It's an air hose .

40 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

reckon it was just down to their age. 

You would think that this would be known to then, yet they continue to make/sell products that will deteriorate. If that is true, it's shameful. Many models are on the shelves of their makers for years, decades even. You would think they would try to offer long lasting stable products. I have read others complain about vinyl parts, almost always going with the aftermarket upgrades, maybe this is what they meant by low quality, I figured they just didn't look real, but it may be longevity just isn't there.

So when I see a kit with vinyl tires, I should immediately look for alternatives, same goes for tracked vehicles?

Not everything is built to last, makes me miss my Tonka truck with the elephant standing on it, back in the 70's!

Thanks,

Anthony

UVs attack some plastics . Cheap PVC . They even made garden furniture out of it . By the time it's second Summer came around the tops of the legs where it curved for the seat had a nice collection of break down/crazing and sitting for a nice drink... you get the pint down in one . Shirt and Chinos to be replaced .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SwedeInSiam said:

my big compressor

Interesting. I actually have a bigger compressor to run so jailers and staple guns, but I have not used it in some time. The last time I did use is, the stapler blew out a gasket while tacking a dust cover to the bottom of my sofa, that was a few years ago. I don't know what the compressor would do today, my guess, all the seals are decayed as well. I did bring over my Dewalt framing nail gun and hoses, but everything here is made of concrete, so I have never needed to use it. After a decal in storage, I don't know if that would ever be safe to use again without a full replacement of all the o-rings and seals. I mistakenly did not ship my big compressor to the Philippines, and the ones they sell here are all way over priced. But the only need I have now, is modeling and maybe a staple gun again for repairs around the house. I have had a hard time finding a replacement, but I am sure I could buy on ebay if I really need one in a pinch.

Thanks for your feedback,

Anthony