1/48 C-130 Hercules advice

speedy

I’m thinking about purchasing a 1/48 Hercules, looking at a 80’s cab. My question is do I look at the old Italeri model with the old engines/prop or the latest RAF C5 moulding with the Attack Squadron engine conversion?

Does the kit build well and AM wise is there much or scratch build required, especially if the ramp is down.

Steve.

The C130 experts will be along in a minute to tell you whats right here but I'd have guessed that the latest moulding would not back convert?  I suppose it depends on how much Italeri used from the earlier moulds without changing things.  Modelling experience required no doubt !!

Anyway Attack Squadron did do an engine conversion for the earlier engines on the C-130 though they are out of production and impossible to find.  I looked long enough and found a set that cost a few bob to get second hand from some esoteric location as I recall.  Also the fuselage sponsons are the wrong size.  A full explanation is on the Attack Squadron web site as to how they think Italeri messed that up.  They do replacements but again the earlier ones are like an endangered species.

Dave Parkins at Flightpath did an etch set for the internals way back in the day but again OOP.  At least I think thats the case.  He may have set lurking in the workshop under the biscuit tin?

I am pleased to report thatI am totally wrong above :D  Hannants have sets here:-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48106

regards

John

• Like 3

Hi Steve!

I've turned the old Testors/Italeri 1/48 AC-130A into a C-130H. As far as I was told by Debs, the Italeri kit has some issues with regard to the lower fuselage shape near the cockpit (should be flattened instead of round, but it's hardly noticeable).

Then again, there's an issue regarding the vertical windows under the windshield, something I could live with.

Things you need to change are the engine nacelles and wheels; that's mandatory. I've learned that Brengun is taking over the former Attack Squadron sets. I purchased the 130E engine nacelles, wheels and flap sets as soon as I learnt Attack Squadron were going to go South, but I've seen the Brengun wheel set selling on evilBay. Perhaps the engine nacelles and flaps are already available.

Another thing worth telling is that the Customer Service at Italeri will help you out with any spares you need for your conversion.

If you're interested, I will tell you how to contact them to ask spares for your build. I got all the necessary bits for my conversion, i.e., the access door, sponson and the intakes on the starboard side of the C-130H forward fuselage.

Argie Air Force service, of course.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 4

OzMods do  a conversion  for C-130A's with engines,  props, exhausts, and external tanks/pylons; I have the 1/72 set, which is very nice, and you could check on the availability of the same set in 1/48, but IIRC it just comes with props, spinners, external tanks/pylons and a couple of window, but no engine nacelles. We are long overdue for  a state of the art C-130A/E/H in both scales, but classic transports/airliners aren't nearly as popular as combat types in either scale!

Mike

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, Jordi said:

Italeri completely missed the ‘chine’ that all C-130s have at the level of the cabin floor, making it a flattened circular shape in cross section.  The sharp edge casts a hard shadow.  Not easy to fix unfortunately.

Yeh, but is it hardly noticeable? Fixing hardly necessary

spacer.png

spacer.png

Y'see...?

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

I'd tackle that chine with circular brass rod to define where the break goes with a strip of plasticard butted to above and below which are respectively sanded to a feather into the kit fuselage sides.

If the issue is present on Italeri's 1/72 kit I'll do just that myself soon.

resized_df22c0cf-007c-404c-ba6e-07d847b7

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 11:39 AM, JohnT said:

The C130 experts will be along in a minute to tell you whats right here but I'd have guessed that the latest moulding would not back convert?  I suppose it depends on how much Italeri used from the earlier moulds without changing things.  Modelling experience required no doubt !!

Anyway Attack Squadron did do an engine conversion for the earlier engines on the C-130 though they are out of production and impossible to find.  I looked long enough and found a set that cost a few bob to get second hand from some esoteric location as I recall.  Also the fuselage sponsons are the wrong size.  A full explanation is on the Attack Squadron web site as to how they think Italeri messed that up.  They do replacements but again the earlier ones are like an endangered species.

Dave Parkins at Flightpath did an etch set for the internals way back in the day but again OOP.  At least I think thats the case.  He may have set lurking in the workshop under the biscuit tin?

I am pleased to report thatI am totally wrong above :D  Hannants have sets here:-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48106

regards

John

Brengun seems to have taken up some of the sets:

http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-48-accessories-22/c-130-flaps-(italeri)-1596

http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-48-accessories-22/c-130-wheels-1549

just ordered one ;)  seems that excused not to build it get less and less.... :devil:

as do these guys here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-C-130E-H-Hercules-powerplant-resin-set-by-Bring-it-LMH-481/323876180494?hash=item4b6886520e:g:GvEAAOSw5RldRvqp

not related in any way, just happy I found them!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Reading up on this as I have just picked up an early Italeri 1/48 C-130 kit which includes RAF XV200 decals, so should built up along K lines.  I see Brengun & others are selling on eBay, but does anyone know of a build thread showing the corrections being made?  I didn’t spend a load on the kit, so would rather do my own mods where possible, and have a mad notion to maybe power up the props

cheer s in advance

• Thanks 1

I keep an eye out occasionally on eBay for one but they make more money than I’m prepared to pay. I don’t think they’re rare or valuable just because you don’t see many and this subject sways more to 1/72. I’ll keep looking and I’m very patient although I’ve got a good idea in my head.........

Glad you got yours for little pennants.

Steve.

Edited by speedy