Polar Lights: 1/48 Plan 9 from Outer Space Flying Saucer

19 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

, the man thatAnybody actually sat through the film? Probably the best comedy ever made - even though it was supposed to be serious!:lol:

Allan

The film is a stone cold cult classic in the so bad it is good genre, made by one Ed Wood who put the B into B-movies. His other films include Glen or Glenda, Jail Bait, The Bride of the Monster and Sinister Urge.

The 1994  Tim Burton biopic simply titled Ed Wood, is an absolute must see  film which proved once and for all that Martin Landau could indeed act (despite his best efforts in Space: 1999 to prove other wise) as he won an Oscar for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi in the film, Johnny Depp was mightly impressive as Wood too.

This is a pretty smart release by Polar Lights/Round 2 as the "iconic" flying saucer as seen in film was actually the 1956  Lindberg Line model kit which was a fictional design roughly matching the popular image of UFOs of the time: "a silver disc-shaped craft with a clear dome on top."

Therefore it is an exact 1:1 replica of the filming miniature, how many kits can say that?

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The film is a stone cold cult classic in the so bad it is good genre, made by one Ed Wood who put the B into B-movies. His other films include Glen or Glenda, Jail Bait, The Bride of the Monster and Sinister Urge.

The 1994  Tim Burton biopic simply titled Ed Wood, is a simply must see  film which proved once and for all that Martin Landau could indeed act (despite his best efforts in Space: 1999 to prove other wise) as he won an Oscar for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi in the film, Johnny Depp was mightly impressive as Wood too.

This is a pretty smart release by Polar Lights/Round 2 as the "iconic" flying saucer as seen in film was actually the 1956  Lindberg Line model kit which was a fictional design roughly matching the popular image of UFOs of the time: "a silver disc-shaped craft with a clear dome on top."

Therefore it is an exact 1:1 replica of the filming miniature, how many kits can say that?

Tommo.

:lol: No argument here!! Actually, I thought that Mrs Landau ( a k a Barbara Bain ) was even more wooden in Space 1999!! No mean achievement!:lol:.

Allan

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Having read the small print on the box, I am very relieved to discover the kit has the right number of rivets ;)

Yes but, are they flush riveted or, mushroom headed rivets? Are there indeed lines of rivets to count where there should instead be panel lines?:whistle:

Allan

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Anybody actually sat through the film? Probably the best comedy ever made - even though it was supposed to be serious!:lol:

Allan

Twice. Granted - nigh impossible to watch while sober. I completely agree with Tomohawk Kid about Tim Burton's Ed Wood. It's fantastic - Johnny Depp gives the best performance of his career I reckon.I remember a scene from that film in which Ed Wood's production team fashions paper plates into flying saucers by painting silver. Am I remembering right?

Anyway - I found this on Youtube:

Jay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Twice. Granted - nigh impossible to watch while sober. I completely agree with Tomohawk Kid about Tim Burton's Ed Wood. It's fantastic - Johnny Depp gives the best performance of his career I reckon.I remember a scene from that film in which Ed Wood's production team fashions paper plates into flying saucers by painting silver. Am I remembering right?

Jay

Its a little while since I have seen the film, but I do believe you are right, albeit it was artistic licence. In reality the Lindberg kit was used.

A 1:1 exact replica of the filming minatures with the right number of rivets, what's not to like!

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 2 weeks later...