Kursk warrior - HS-129 Panzerknacker - latest photo's June 03, Finished!

This is an old 1/48 Esci HS-129 I'm trying some heavy wear technique's on.  I scratch built an interior and gun sight based on photo's. Rescribed and riveted the airframe, and started by painting portions with Tamiya's acrylic Titanium silver. Then airbrushed several coats of hairspray, followed by thinned coats of a mix to replicate the red oxide primer. Finally chipped and scratched with water, a stiff brush and a toothpick.

When it's dry, I'll hairspray again, then light camo so the primer shows in places, then hairspray and scrub and  scratch again. Should be an interesting experiment!

Image3

Image4 Image6

Image6c

Image7

Image7c

Image8

Image9

Image10

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 8

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Kursk warrior - HS-129 Panzerknacker - new photo's May 19

I've just started the chipping one panel at a time and so far the effect is everything I'd hoped. It will be hard not to over do it!

Image15

Image14

The red oxide primer shows through just enough, what do you think?

• Like 4

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Kursk warrior - HS-129 Panzerknacker - new photo's May 20

Looking good, but can you elaborate more on the red oxide primer? I mean, that was common on steel tanks, and I know this one had a steel nose, but the rest of the aircraft was aluminium (weight was still an issue on this underpowered aircraft), and I suppose when it was primed, it would have been RLM02 or bare for the rest of the aircraft.

But as said, it still looks good, and it also could double as mud from the shoes...

I have read that The red oxide primer was mostly used on wood and fabric surfaces, but was also applied on repaired, damaged and repainted aluminum surfaces.  Apparently from the factory, no primer was applied to aluminum surfaces, as the paint was believed to be self priming.  The one thing that seems to be agreed upon, is that RLM02 was not an overall primer on airframes. I wanted a different look to the wear areas and figured that they were refinished at some time.

• Like 1

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Kursk warrior - HS-129 Panzerknacker - new photo's May 21

More work accomplished, the decals are done ( a mix of kit and decals from the spares box) and final sealing coat. Next up, the oil pin wash, pastels to 'grubby' it up, and a flat coat.

Image25

Image22

Image23

Image24

It may not be the latest and most accurate kit out there, but it's one I had in the stash that I could experiment on ...

• Like 5

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Kursk warrior - HS-129 Panzerknacker - latest photo's June 03, Finished!

Looks great, you have nailed the weathering. 👍  As for the newer Hasegawa kit, they made a real mess of the fabric covered control surfaces,  recessed the hell out of them between the ribs.