Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I 1:48 - well worn No 610 Sqn

Luvverly, just luvverly! You can almost smell the hot oil and coolant! Very, very nice model with very realistic scuffing and weathering, as well. Well done, sir!

Mike

Hi Mathy

for a modeller of your obvious talents,   you do seem to sometimes fail to refer to the real thing

(you did a Hurricane with De Havilland blades on a Rotol spinner a while back) 

comp_Spitfire_MkI_14_.jpg

31721753335_d0e59ff7d1_b.jpg

the 610 Sq pics are very well known,   I did wonder what had gone on with the roundel but a look at the Tamiya decals shows separate roundel centres, so I suspect you picked the wrong ones..

RAF fin stripes start from the rudder join, and the 'D' is aligned with the 'W' 

Since I have said this, i'd better explain...

You may have have had a mental image of the roundel centre being this...

joe-dooley-with-dw-b-in-the-cos-dispersa

Quite a few Spitfires have a non standard 7 inch roundel centre, a factory glitch,    as above, but these are on the 35 inch A1 roundels. 

They should be 5 inch centres

Just to really confuse you....the centre plane has the 35 in A1, with 5 inch centre and over size codes, 

13.jpg

the oversize roundels happen because they were 35 inch A type.  (no outer yellow ring),

as seen here

5605745796_9661a3a5a7_o.jpgSpitfire patrol          Spring 1940. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the colour shot above comes from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

which has a load of wartime colour, and is a great resource

which then had a yellow ring added,  sometime a narrow ring, sometimes a full 7 inch ring, as in J and D above.

D retains the earlier size of codes.....

H probably had the the 25 inch roundel, and and equal widtyh yellow ring added to that...

What you don't get is 35 inch A type with an oversize centre on the fuselage (they happen on unit applied underwings  though) 

for the when and why of these changes, and there are lots...

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

Note DW-K willl have had the underside repainted in to Sky, or something similar as well..(see linked to pdf below)

I'm posting this as it is clear you are a very talented modeller, and while much of the above is a 'rabbit hole'  as a quick read will show,  the 610 sq Spitfires are well documented, mostly as in July 1904 a training  film was made at Hawkinge, and the film unit stills photographer took a series of photos,  also of 32Sq Hurricanes, which have been being used as images of the battle pretty much ever since, and is a reason for the 610 being used for may BoB kit markings.

17 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

One of the most interesting builds I have seen of the Mk.1. Looks like it has had a hard summer and is enjoying a good winters rest.

If DW-K survived that long, in Nov 1940 she'd have got a Sky spinner and tail band, and black port underwing..  Apparently DW-K P9495 was issued to 601 Sq 2 June,  and was damaged on 12 Aug, beyond repair and and written off 23 Aug. 

the plane as shown is late July 1940,  but was not a new plane then. 

there are some very interesting specifics on DW-K here

http://www.fundekals.com/images/Spitfires/SpitfireProject2016.pdf

The build and paint of the model is superb,    none of the above is a criticism of that,  and with the correct information,  would be a historically correct model as well, and so the reason for the detail is to explain why when I first saw the model I something jarred,  so I checked, and I thought some background and sources maybe of interest and use for @mathy  and anyone else reading as well.  

Plenty of scope for more models too ;) 

HTH

• Like 3

Many thx HTH for this detailed informations. I am not really a Spitfire expert and trust Tamiyas construction and painting sheets. But nevertheless you did a great job to investigate the history of this aitcraft.

• Like 2

One of the best Spits I’ve seen in any scale. The weathering is quite good, down to replicating some lines wich I suppose are not in the kit itself (probably some rivet sink lines). But what impresses me most is the demarcation lines of the camouflage scheme.

It’s not hard edged as often seen in models but very subtly soft edge, wich in my opinion is accurate. Now, may I ask how you made them? Thanks for sharing this beauty with us

Edited by Holzhamer

2 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

One of the best Spits I’ve seen in any scale. The weathering is quite good, down to replicating some lines wich I suppose are not in the kit itself (probably some rivet sink lines). But what impresses me most is the demarcation lines of the camouflage scheme.

It’s not hard edged as often seen in models but very subtly soft edge, wich in my opinion is accurate. Now, may I ask how you made them? Thanks for sharing this beauty with us

Thanks for the words! The camoflage was done in 2 steps. First I used Patafix for  taping the demacation lines. After that I airbrusched the edges with very thin Dark Green. Needs a bit patience, but its worth to do that 🙂

Superb Spitfire (although I question that extensive weathering of the prop).

Another little gotcha, on top of Troy's learned lesson, concerns the aerials. In principle, early Spits with the original radio antenna wire from the mast to the rudder, did not have the IFF aerials from the aft fuselage to the stabiliser tips. You can read all about it here:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Excellent modelling skills in plain sight, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

15 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb Spitfire (although I question that extensive weathering of the prop).

Another little gotcha, on top of Troy's learned lesson, concerns the aerials. In principle, early Spits with the original radio antenna wire from the mast to the rudder, did not have the IFF aerials from the aft fuselage to the stabiliser tips. You can read all about it here:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Excellent modelling skills in plain sight, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Another good information! To change that will be very easy🙂

That despite the glitches is still an outstanding build and beautiful finish Mathy,be very proud of that fact,the issue's should be fixable so hopefully you'll be back with her again for new photo's.

Edited by stevej60

6 hours ago, mathy said:

Thanks for the words! The camoflage was done in 2 steps. First I used Patafix for  taping the demacation lines. After that I airbrusched the edges with very thin Dark Green. Needs a bit patience, but its worth to do that 🙂

Thank you so much for revealing your method. I tend to use free hand airbrushing as a first option, exclusion being hard demarcation lines. My only experience with Patafix  was tedious and a bit shady in the results. Looking at your finish, it was my mistake,  not  Patafix 😉

Edited by Holzhamer