Rubicon 1/56th Tiger E

John

I've been building up a small collection of Rubicon 1/56th scale models, mostly wheeled transport but including their impressive Crusader II/III. Seems like a good time to add something from the opposition:

46948139375_f4ca633490_c.jpgTigerTiger1 by John Walker, on Flickr

I bought it especially for this GB, and also acquired the Panzer Commanders figure set. I'll be going for a Tunisian or Italian campaign vehicle.

They are safely tucked away in my desk drawer at work, so I'm not tempted to jump the gun. Just hope I remember to bring them home tomorrow...

John

• Like 6

Hi John and welcome to the GB. I haven't seen this kit manufacturer before so it will be intersting to see how it goes together.

Don't forget to take it home this evening!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Welcome John, I’ve seen a few Rubicon kits come together. They look fantastic kits, looking forward to seeing this one.

• Like 1

Rubicon has grown out of the 28mm wargaming scene, along with other manufacturers like Bolt Action. Italeri also have quite a few kits in their range, many of which are reboxed by Bolt Action. 

My eye was originally caught by the Rubicon CMP 15 cwt truck at the Carronade show this time last year. I bought one and it was a fun build. It needed some help to reach a reasonable display standard, glazing the windscreen and adding other things like the wing mirrors but it certainly looks the part when it's finished. It isn't as detailed as, for example, the Airfix Bedford MWD but it's also somewhat smaller. 

I followed the truck with the Crusader, finished as a MkII in Tunisia. Again it needs some detail added but it looks really good and is presently sitting on my computer desk. 

The kits have become more sophisticated with the sdkfz 222 and the recent Kubelwagen needing less help to get to a good display standard. 

The Tiger is a bit older so I'm expecting a bit of scratch building for the smaller details. 

1/56th scale produces models of a nice manageable size, better for my aging eyesight than 1/72.

Uncharacteristically I did remember to pick up the kit on my way out of work, so we're all set for Sunday. 

John 

• Like 4

OK, we're off. First thing on the agenda is to take a look at the multipose-style crew figures, available separately from the vehicle kits:

32935712057_1fb00e1c4b_c.jpgTigerTiger2 by John Walker, on Flickr

There are 2 sprues of assorted body parts which allow you to make a total of 4 figures:

40913514153_d47d4ca0c9_c.jpgTigerTiger3 by John Walker, on Flickr

47879899521_3411fbacea_c.jpgTigerTiger4 by John Walker, on Flickr

The parts look a bit shiny because they're moulded in ABS, as are the vehicle kits. This isn't a problem as it reacts well enough to most polystyrene cements I've tried on it. I usually use a Humbrol precision applicator or Tamiya Extra Thin for small parts and either Humbrol tube glue or Plastic Weld for more structural joins. Nothing's fallen apart so far...

John

• Like 5

So, what's in the big box?

4 individually bagged ABS sprues:

47829331022_572a276952_c.jpgTigerTiger5 by John Walker, on Flickr

Rubicon's trademark glossy instruction booklet:

46965209105_4c51245b31_c.jpgTigerTiger6 by John Walker, on Flickr

40914940453_eb9aeef2bc_c.jpgTigerTiger7 by John Walker, on Flickr

46965208925_21e73f1b21_c.jpgTigerTiger8 by John Walker, on Flickr

Rubicon's trademark generic decal sheet, nicely printed and individually bagged:

47829330662_39c33887b8_c.jpgTigerTiger9 by John Walker, on Flickr

The kit is designed to produce early, mid or late production Tigers so there are a lot of alternatives including 2 different styles of road wheel and 3 turret roofs:

46965208705_a4393d4ca8_c.jpgTigerTiger10 by John Walker, on Flickr

47829330422_67f7747e00_c.jpgTigerTiger11 by John Walker, on Flickr

46965208475_b738a34f2e_c.jpgTigerTiger12 by John Walker, on Flickr

46965209305_38c7374813_c.jpgTigerTiger13 by John Walker, on Flickr

The tracks and some of the wheels are moulded as one piece with other wheels being added so we'll have to see how they build up. 

I want a Tunisian vehicle so fortunately the air pre-cleaners are included:

47829330272_0aaf4983f2_c.jpgTigerTiger14 by John Walker, on Flickr

John

• Like 6

Hi John,

That's not a scale I would ever venture into, but it certainly looks more enticing than 1/72nd.

I like that you have options to build a early, mid or late, am impressed by the fine detailing on the upper deck, and I really like the fact that the tracks and outer wheels are moulded in one part, and the inner wheels are separate. Top marks to the kit pattern-maker/designer!

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I finally had a couple of hours of happy kitbashing last night. First up was assembling the lower hull:

TigerTiger15

Unlike more conventionally moulded kits this one has the lower hull in 2 halves, joined down the middle. There are 2 substantial lugs and a rebate around the edge so the fit is very good. The axles are moulded in.

The rear hull plate goes on the back, again fit is very positive:

TigerTiger16

Nice detail moulded on too.

The top of the hull has more nicely moulded detail. This is likely to be a pain to paint.

John

• Like 3

I like the colour schemes that were carried by both sides during the Tunisian campaign. On the Allied side there were desert and European schemes while the Axis seems to have had vehicles in the early and late tropical schemes. 

Given my interest it's probably inevitable that this model is going to be one of the original batch sent to North Africa. I've pretty much zeroed in on Tiger 112 of s. Pz.Abt.501. 

This vehicle would have been finished in the RAL 8000/RAL 7008 scheme, same as Tiger 131 at Bovington. The turret stowage bin and the engine air precleaners may have been supplied by the contractor in the later RAL 8020 shade. 

There are also photos which suggest it was fitted with a new mantlet and gun, maybe as a result of battle damage. The mantlet could also be RAL 8020 while the barrel could be grey. 

Add in some nice red Tunisian weathering and you have an interesting basis for a model, allowing for the ifs, buts and maybes... 

John 

• Like 1

Hey John - That looks like a really nice kit - the sprues very reminiscent of PSC.  Fantastic choice of decals too - I will follow with interest as I've never done any 1/56 - but they look good.

Steve

• Like 1

Adding a bit of definition and battle damage to the side skirts:

TigerTiger18

Turret. The pistol port on the rear quarter is a separate part and needs a mounting hole cleaned out:

TigerTiger19

TigerTiger20

John

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well,I've spent so much time recently playing with my little froggies that the big pussy has been neglected 🙁

I'll start a thread over on Armour in Progress, as I am actually still working on the kit.

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a while, but I've finally got back to my Tunisian Tiger.

The plan had been to go to Bovingdon this Summer to see Tiger 131 up close but sadly that hasn't been possible and looks like it won't be until next Summer so judgements on colour and detail have had to be drawn from the web, particularly this excellent video from the Tank Museum:

I used Humbrol 225 Middle Stone for the RAL 8000, lighter than the real colour but the effect looks quite good to my eye:

TigerTiger19

For the low contrast disruptor I used Humbrol 84 Mid Stone. The effect is very subtle in real life but the camera picks up a great deal more contrast:

TigerTiger20

I've used Revell 17 Africa Brown for the RAL 8020 that may have been used on the gun mantlet and stowage box on some of these vehicles. I'll use the same colour on the air cleaners. The glossy base coat on the gun is Humbrol 5 Admiralty Dark Grey.

John

• Like 2

Although these kits are intended as gaming miniatures, Rubicon do provide extra enhancements for some of them, including the Tiger. In this case they provide resin running gear with extra detail on the tracks and wheels:

TigerTiger21

TigerTiger22

I've acquired a set, so we'll see how they look.

John

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, John said:

Well it's been a while, but I've finally got back to my Tunisian Tiger.

The plan had been to go to Bovingdon this Summer to see Tiger 131 up close but sadly that hasn't been possible and looks like it won't be until next Summer so judgements on colour and detail have had to be drawn from the web, particularly this excellent video from the Tank Museum:

I’d love to see The Tank Museum’s companion video

”Painting Matilda Tanks - or How We Fooled Model Companies for Decades”

To be fair, I was at the museum a couple of months ago and they appear to have repainted a lot of their AFVs including the Matilda, which now sports a caunter scheme that Mr Starmer would be happy with. 😀

Cheers,

Nigel

• Haha 2