Another bricks on the wings... or Vortex generators

SouthViper

Well...

after seeing the new Kinetic Hawker Harriers 1/48 kits I am sure I will have to substitute those crude ``bricks like`` 

vortex generators over wings, so I ask if does exist some PE Manufacturers that produces some Vortex for Harriers

or another airplanes ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

All images reproduced here under fair use of images for illustrations purposes only /

Thanks

SouthViper

3 hours ago, Silenoz said:

and then there's that other factor coming into play... nice jig and such, but how to glue?

Experiences after working with an 1/72 scale F-86D. One is simple, two is easy. Three, now it starts to become hard. Four, a nightmare...

Cheers / André

• Like 1

Alternatively, cut the "bricks" to shape or use very thin plastic card...  On Harriers I've used both.  BTW the real ones were glued on but it was a bit easier in 1:1.

The best solution I have seen in PE had protruding pins that fitted into holes you drilled in the wing.  Assuming the hole was correctly located, this have a good seat for the superglue, and allowed the right angles to be set on the vortex gennys.

Regards

Tim

2 hours ago, TimB said:

The best solution I have seen in PE had protruding pins that fitted into holes you drilled in the wing.  Assuming the hole was correctly located, this have a good seat for the superglue, and allowed the right angles to be set on the vortex gennys.

Regards

Tim

I did it this way on the recent Buccaneer build

A friendly inquisitive alchemist made these for me

I drilled a zillion holes all over the shop and finally got symmetry

Then did the stuporgoo drop business and lined up carefully

P1140025.jpg

It was quite ... taxing

On the GR3 the plates are right angled (as above picture) so the flat plate is glued to the wings.  The Airwaves GR3/FRS etch had the same form - so there is a nice flat plate to glue to the wing - if you can get them folded and located that is without the carpet monster intervening. 

Unfortunatley it looks as if the GR5/7/9 had simpler vertical plates (images in the Fox Two Harrier book)

Edited by kingcanberra
Later versions