1/48 Tamiya P-38. Out now!

Creepy Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, ordered mine from a UK Ebay dealer yesterday, £53 ish delivered, not looked forward to a kit this way for some time, should be here mid to late next week I hope.

Excited :)

Ordered three kits (two for me one for a friend) from Lucky Model!

They have $10 surface shipping with tracking and there was an 18% discount on my order. Each kit was $49.53 including shipping! Can't beat that. Tamiya has a booth and sells kits at a local airshow, once a year here, and they heavily discount their kits. But they won't beat this price. 

Can't wait to get mine.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently the "H" is a limited edition white boxing. 

New parts specific to P38H variant:  Larger supercharger intakes, rear canopy without reinforcing frames, instrumentation, nose landing gear strut and bay covers, main landing gear reinforcements, upgraded 20mm cannon and 12.7mm machine guns that were often modified on the ground, plus turbocharger coolant pipe.

·         Choose whether to attach optional main landing gear air duct.

·         Weights are included in the kit to ensure correct balance of the model when displayed.

·         A detailed cockpit features the wheel-type controls, radio, throttle box and more.

·         1 marking option is included, depicting an aircraft with lively nose art and belonging to the 432nd Fighter Squadron, part of the 475th Fighter Group that was devastatingly effective from 1943-44 over the Pacific.

·         Plain white box with a color label on the lid. One Shot Production Run!

·         Comes with canopy masking stickers and a full-color painting guide.

I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that if Tamiya is *not* releasing this as a mass production kit, then we probably won't see a J or an L.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

Not sure that I follow the logic that a Limited Edition re-issue of the Tamiya kit as a P-38H variant that is not mass produced will probably lead to the conclusion that Tamiya will not produce the P-38J/L variant in due course. Given the parts breakdown of the original kit and the plethora of colour schemes/markings applied to the later models, I really cannot envisage a situation where they would abandon this idea (unless economic considerations come into force, of course). The P-38J/L was used by far more operators/nations than the earlier models and sported many more colour schemes than the standard Olive Drab/Neutral Gray. Think of all that wonderful WWII-era nose art and those esoteric Post War operators, particularly in Latin America, for which there are already a huge number of aftermarket decal sheets.  

Sure, we may have to wait some time for the kit (just like the Grumman F-14A+ or F-14B Bombcat) but that is normally how Tamiya roll.   

• Like 1

Official details and photos of upcoming Tamiya ref. 25199 - 1/48th - Lockheed P-38H Lightning

Source: https://tamiyablog.com/2020/05/official-details-and-photos-of-upcoming-tamiya-25199-1-48-lockheed-p-38-h-lightning/

This model kit faithfully recreates the H variant of the Lockheed P-38! This limited-edition variant of the 1/48 P-38 Lightning masterpiece kit, will only be sold in a white box format. New parts are included specifically for this kit to depict the P-38H, a variant which was produced from May 1943 and were given an improved 20mm cannon, as well as a bomb payload capacity of 1,500kg. More powerful 1,400hp engines were paired with intercoolers and radiators from previous variants.

• 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Fuselage length: 240mm, wingspan: 330mm.
• This kit creates a parked aircraft.
• New parts specific to P38H variant: Larger supercharger intakes, rear canopy without reinforcing frames, instrumentation, nose landing gear strut and bay covers, main landing gear reinforcements, upgraded 20mm cannon and 12.7mm machine guns that were often modified on the ground, plus turbocharger coolant pipe.
• Choose whether to attach optional main landing gear air duct.
• Weights are included in the kit to ensure correct balance of the model when displayed.
• A detailed cockpit features the wheel-type controls, radio, throttle box and more.
• 1 marking option is included, depicting an aircraft with lively nose art and belonging to the 432nd Fighter Squadron, part of the 475th Fighter Group that was devastatingly effective from 1943-44 over the Pacific.
• Plain white box with a color label on the lid. One Shot Production Run!
• Comes with canopy masking stickers and a full-color painting guide.

Official-details-and-photos-of-upcoming-

V.P.

• Like 1

So they went to the effort to produce the spues etc for a one off limited edition, yes pull the other one, there will be another H for sure but with different decals. Their taking a leaf out of Hasegawa's book here 😁

• Like 1

Yep, very odd for Tamiya to do a limited run, but then again, they seem to discontinue kits at the drop of a hat, so maybe? Been after a 1/32 Thunderbirds F-16 for ages, doubt they will ever re-release it, sometimes there is no logic to what Tamiya do, and that's kinda cool as well :)

On 5/28/2020 at 7:23 PM, colin said:

So they went to the effort to produce the spues etc for a one off limited edition, yes pull the other one

I believe the original plan was to release this as a special for a specific event that got canceled for familiar reasons.

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I believe the original plan was to release this as a special for a specific event that got canceled for familiar reasons.

And what event would that be

• 3 weeks later...