1/48 Tamiya P-38. Out now!

Creepy Pete

Tamiya kits are beautiful no doubt. Their packaging, artwork and their instructions are simple to follow, in very good sequence and beautifully produced. The paper on which the instructions are printed is top quality. The surface detail is sharp and many times, I have honestly kept staring at the quality of their plastic, the surface detail and total lack of flash even on the minutest of parts. 

But as we progress in model making and new offers appear online or on shelves, depending on your buying preference, we tend to detail up the kits. I know its a very subjective and at times a touchy subject.  The discussion on how much a kit should have detail is a discussion which leads nowhere. But Tamiya kits to me seem to be stuck in 90s especially their 1/35 armour and 1/48 aircraft kits. A lot of surface and kit details and details on parts or their breakdown are not up to the detail many other new entrants in the market have been able to reproduce. For example, just compare Tamiya Opel truck to Dragon's Opel truck in 1/35 scale. You will know what I mean. Dragon offering is much superior.   

Looks like it's gonna be a £50+ kit here in the UK given the quoted japanese price of 4320YEN. Doesn't seem to unrealistic given the prices of the Spitfire/G-6 in the UK.

Still looking forward to it :)

Wishing for rivet detail but at least the fit will be miles better than the old Revell kit.  Going to have to do a droop snoot finally.

46 minutes ago, Beazer said:

Wishing for rivet detail but at least the fit will be miles better than the old Revell kit.  Going to have to do a droop snoot finally.

They were all J conversions so that would be a huge job starting with an F/G kit

2 hours ago, Wezra said:

Looks like it's gonna be a £50+ kit here in the UK given the quoted japanese price of 4320YEN. Doesn't seem to unrealistic given the prices of the Spitfire/G-6 in the UK.

Still looking forward to it :)

£50 pounds ouch, I can pick either up for $42 dollars and i thought that was expensive ? ☹️ 

On 24/07/2019 at 01:30, JeffreyK said:

I'm pretty sure a zero-duties trade deal relates to customs duties alone, it has nothing to do with VAT. I've just had a look and the import duty threshold was £135 in the UK. So the new regulations will only have an effect on larger orders. The VAT threshold is £15 and that remains unchanged. If you get "caught", you're still liable for 20% VAT plus RM's famous handling charge.

J

Yes you are correct on this one Jeffrey, trade deals relate to import duty, but is it worth noting anyway plastic kits have always been zero rated in the UK for the average buyer anyway.

Julien

It is sold for JPY4000(without domestic cosumer tax which is 8%) as the white box version in the event.

According to Tamiya's regular practice the whilte box price will be same as th final formal version, so I assume 1/48 P-38 retail price will be JPY4000.-

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Yes, it includes correct weight to avoid tail sitting, love it when you get that, takes away the guess work, also like the mirrored plates provided for inside engine nacelles, on the 1/32 Trumpeter P-38 I have (and will now be E-baying) They have it as a clear part, its mirrored to check gear is up or down ... I think.

Would anyone who knows more about P38s than me, think that the upper wing/Fuselage sprue may form the basis for a J or L model in the future

Would it require new booms/engine parts and lower wing inserts only or would a J or L model require such major changes as to be a different kit ?

It would need complete new booms, new wings top/bottom, and a new clear sprue and different cockpit details. Of course they could bring out a later version, but I don;t think you can justify the assumption that it's a done deal based on the kit as seen so far

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It would need complete new booms, new wings top/bottom, and a new clear sprue and different cockpit details. Of course they could bring out a later version, but I don;t think you can justify the assumption that it's a done deal based on the kit as seen so far

Won't need new top wing, since leading edge is separate part. Definitely need new booms, some cockpit parts, oil cooler, intercooler intakes, clears, bottom wing for J and L with airbrakes. Hopefully bombs, bazooka tubes, and Christmas tree rockets.  It's doable.

Tamyia will use the same approach they used with their P-47D/M. The P-47M had all the parts for a D and added the bits on another sprue to make an M. Obviously the P-38J/L will require more tooling changes. Considering how much cash they will rake in I would think they have a yen to do it!

Or we can wait for Eduard's P-38 family.

• Like 1