1/48 Tamiya P-38. Out now!

Creepy Pete

Soon ! The P-38 in the 1/48th scale

Sources: 

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/newstopics/2019/22sapporo/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA/posts/10156509052292874

Tamiya has some exciting news indeed for fans of aircraft models! The latest product in the popular 1/48 scale Aircraft Series is scheduled for release this Autumn, and will be announced at two events here in Japan from July 25. What's more, visitors to those events will be able to purchase a special preview version of the kit in a white box, containing prototype parts and materials. We are also hoping to be able to share the model with U.S. modelers at the 2019 IPMS USA Nationals in Tennessee from August 7! See below for some sneak preview pictures - that's all we have for you... for now!

Tamiya Modeler's Gallery 2019
July 25 - July 30, Tobu Department Store Ikebukuro, Tokyo, 8th Floor Exhibition Area

3rd Shizuoka Expo in Hokkaido
July 25 - July 30, Sapporo Tokyu Department Store, 9th Floor Exhibition Area

*Parts in the preview kit are prototypes and may differ from final product.
*Limited numbers of the preview kit will go on sale, on a first-come, first-served basis.
*Purchases of the preview kit are limited to one per person.

Here are some photo clues to this ALL-NEW and exciting kit!

67134791-10156509051167874-5610772020808

67428273-10156509051157874-1810139646508

67095811-10156509051162874-9193471745850

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, marky sparky said:

Cool, but I hope it's priced reasonably, Tamiya are not kind to it's buyers.

I guess the price will be a bit more than the recent 109 and Spitfire?

It's more plastic at least.

E/F/H Versions suits me fine, since there are a few sharkmouths in OD/NG :)

1 hour ago, marky sparky said:

Compared to what, exactly? 

With the quality and dedication we receive from Tamiya, the price is quite fair.

1 hour ago, marky sparky said:

The newtool spitfire and messerscmitt are £17 in japan with £5 postage and no import fees due to the Eu trade deal with japan, same price as the substandard airfix spitfire XIV    -   https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344611195/

Edited by gavingav1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, gavingav said:

The newtool spitfire and messerscmitt are £17 in japan with £5 postage and no import fees due to the Eu trade deal with japan, same price as the substandard airfix spitfire XIV    -   https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344611195/

Thank you, never knew of that place, just ordered the Spit and 109, came out a little more expensive than that but still a great price for 2 kits I'd been contemplating for a while anyway  !

6 hours ago, gavingav said:

Thanks for that I have just lodged a claim to get my money back after being charged for a Japan parcel. Thieves they are..thieves.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Thanks for that I have just lodged a claim to get my money back after being charged for a Japan parcel. Thieves they are..thieves.

PlazaJapan are thieves? Not sure what you mean?

Hope not, my order is in.

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

PlazaJapan are thieves? Not sure what you mean?

Hope not, my order is in.

He is talking about royal mail charging import cost pre japan trade deal, i have ordered from plaza hobby 8 times over the last couple of years and always had 100% satisfaction .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gavingav said:

He is talking about royal mail charging import cost pre japan trade deal, i have ordered from plaza hobby 8 times over the last couple of years and always had 100% satisfaction .

Of course, the Japan trade deal is with the EU ...

Get your orders in while it lasts ...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, gavingav said:

I'm pretty sure a zero-duties trade deal relates to customs duties alone, it has nothing to do with VAT. I've just had a look and the import duty threshold was £135 in the UK. So the new regulations will only have an effect on larger orders. The VAT threshold is £15 and that remains unchanged. If you get "caught", you're still liable for 20% VAT plus RM's famous handling charge.

J

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LanceB said:

I'll be interested in seeing the kit, but seeing as it is Tamiya I'm not too excited.  If it is like their 109s and F-14s, it will be incredibly easy to assemble but with badly overscale detail bits and/or somewhat mushy detail.

I could offer you some crisp Hasegawas but with slight shape inaccuracies and iffy nacelle fit :D

Happily these are the golden times and we have several choices.

Vedran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LanceB said:

I'll be interested in seeing the kit, but seeing as it is Tamiya I'm not too excited.  If it is like their 109s and F-14s, it will be incredibly easy to assemble but with badly overscale detail bits and/or somewhat mushy detail.

Yeah...too bad that Matchbox  and Frog died. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, LanceB said:

Say what? Overscale and mushy details? Where? When? As far as I know Tamiya's Messerschmitt 109 G-6 is the best in the market (at least in opinion of people who know a lot about Messers). I can say the same about Tamiya's Spitfire Mk.I (although they didn't include few parts which would be helpful) which builds better than Eduard's Spitfires.

The only fault is that Tamiya are releasing P-38 in 48th first and 72ers will have to wait around one year for their P-38s (which is better than in other companies' cases which don't do smaller (or bigger) versions [Airfix] or waiting time is around 2-3 years [Eduard] )

Cheers

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DominikS said:

Say what? Overscale and mushy details? Where? When? As far as I know Tamiya's Messerschmitt 109 G-6 is the best in the market (at least in opinion of people who know a lot about Messers). I can say the same about Tamiya's Spitfire Mk.I (although they didn't include few parts which would be helpful) which builds better than Eduard's Spitfires.

The only fault is that Tamiya are releasing P-38 in 48th first and 72ers will have to wait around one year for their P-38s (which is better than in other companies' cases which don't do smaller (or bigger) versions [Airfix] or waiting time is around 2-3 years [Eduard] )

Cheers

I'll happily admit that current Tamiya kits assemble perfectly and I love their surface detail (I'm not a fan at all of the current fad for covering everything in rivets and Tamiya largely seem to avoid this).

While I can't speak about the recent 109 and Spitfire (sorry, I don't care how good they are, I've just got too many others and am tired of seeing the same old subjects released over and over again, no matter how well they're done), I'd have to say that - for me, anyway - the otherwise excellent Tamiya F-14s were badly let down by cockpit and wheel well detail that was decidedly average, at best.

Just my tuppence worth.....

Will I buy their P-38? Probably, but only when they (hopefully!) release it as a 'J/L' version.

8 hours ago, DominikS said:

Say what? Overscale and mushy details? Where? When?

Cheers

My personal opinion, and that is all I claim it to be, is that Tamiya has a focus on engineering for drop-dead perfect fit and easy assembly, which are worthy goals, however as a possible side effect of that the smaller parts lack finesse.  Rudder pedals tend to have the heft of bricks, which is particularly noticable on their German types where the real things were thin stamped metal.  Granted, you can't really be "prototypical" for those without going to PE, but Hasegawa for example manages to make decently thin plastic pedals, although you have to do a bit more work putting them into place and as they are small there is the risk your of tweezers launching one off to the carpet monster.

Or the support rods for the open cowl option in the 109 - steel rebar!  Again, they doubtless fit precisely and all that, but they are way overscale.  And again, you can mold plastic a lot thinner than that, others do it, but it doesn't fit with Tamiya's style of engineering.

The F-14 - when I saw it at Shizuoka I thought all the buttons and switches on the cockpit bits looked rounded and "mushy".  The detail was just not crisp at all.  I thought perhaps it was my glasses, but then one of the modeling mags ran photos taken with a macro lens, and while the photos were nice and crisp all they did was show how the detail on the parts was not.  1/72 Hasegawa and Fujimi kits have sharper detail (to my eyes).

Again - my opinion, and I know that is all it is worth - Tamiya has a long history of producing "shake'n'bake" kits that fit beautifully.  And they have gotten past their previous bad habit of making faithful reproductions of museum pieces and warbirds (Wildcat with one intercooler, cockpit floor and no fuel tank, 262 with completely unloaded gear, P-51 with reinforcement plate over the MLG struts, Corsair with no throttle quadrant, etc) so they are "accurate".  They just lack finesse, for want of a better term.  If I wanted a drop-dead-easy build for a markings bird, I would go with Tamiya.  However, personally, I don't often want that, I like lots of dangly, fiddly bits.  My build preferences just don't mesh with Tamiya's market perceptions.

But that's just me, YMMV etc.