1/72 Hawker P.1101 Tandem Hunter

When Hawker Aircraft was looking at a  two seat Hunter the tandem configuration was considered but rejected in favour of the side-by-side arrangement. Freightdog Models released this conversion kit for the recently released Revell 1/72 Hunter. I have not done a WiP recently so here goes.

First the resin pieces, As you can see the forward fuselage has been hollowed cast and the cockpit is well detailed and you get 2 vacform canopies.

smDSCN3070

smDSCN3071

smDSCN3073

smDSCN3074

smDSCN3075

smDSCN3076

smDSCN3078

I made a quick start, joined the Revell fuselage together and then cut off the forward fuselage as described in the instructions.

smDSCN3069

smDSCN3081

Making a start on the resins pieces I sprayed them first with Revell Antracite then painted in the details with acrylic pencils. You have to  use the front instrument panel and control stick from the kit. I will add the firing handles for the seats later.

smDSCN3082

smDSCN3088

smDSCN3083

smDSCN3086

smDSCN3085

smDSCN3089

smDSCN3091

smDSCN3093

With the canopy I used my scriber to go around the edges to release it from the rest if the plastic sheet using blue tack to provide support and Tamiya tape as a scribing guide. 

smDSCN3095

smDSCN3094

I did a bit of fettling withe resin fuselage parts and found it also  gave me a bit of wiggle room when I offered it up to the fuselage. Then everything was joined together with superglue and Mr Surfacer 500 used along the seams

smDSCN3096

smDSCN3098

More soon

Robert

• Like 8

Making a start on the resins pieces I sprayed them first with Revell Antracite then painted in the details with acrylic pencils.

Robert,

Please tell me more about those acrylic pencils.  Who is the manufacturer?  I have tried Caran D'Ache Prismalo pencils but they are water colours and useless for plastic modelling.

Mike

The pencils are from The Works here in the UK. They have Crawford and Black written on the side but l have got rid of the packaging.

Robert

The pencils are from The Works here in the UK. They have Crawford and Black written on the side but l have got rid of the packaging. 

Thanks, Robert.  If these are not imported to Switzerland I shall try to find some local equivalent.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

OK where was I

The forward was then joined to the rear section and filler and Mr Surfacer used to smooth out the join.

smDSCN3100

smDSCN3101

The join was cleaned up and the wings attached, tailplanes just pushed in

smDSCN3102

Wheel wells are nicely detailed so only need paint and a wash

smDSCN3105

Seats added just firing handles needed later. I ended up splitting the vacform canopy and used the injection front part from the kit

smDSCN3106

Overall view before the paint gets put on

smDSCN3109

smDSCN3110

Front part masked and the rear painted a white undercoat for the yellow trainer bands which was  then masked and painted Tamiya gloss black

smDSCN3111

smDSCN3113

smDSCN3114

Finally the Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium was put on

smDSCN3115

Masks removed and quite pleased how it has turned out. Squadron markings still to be decided as most squadrons had a two seater on strength

smDSCN3117

Until next time..

Robert

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi decals have now been put on. They are the Airfile Hunter T7 decal sheet from Fantasy Printshop. More photos in the RFI section.

smDSCN3124

Thanks for the comments, until nexxt time.

Robert

• Like 2