Tamiya 1:48 P-51 Mustang

Great build other than a couple of issues.  I didn't like the big slot for sliding the canopy so I filled that in.  The 2 piece bubble canopy was kinda a pain and as usual I had trouble with the decals lifting.....even after multiple applications of microsol.  Any suggestions for the decals would be appreciated.  Thanks for looking.

32908526647_c91b84178e_k.jpg5D2F9ADF-0970-4442-BC8E-6BE219D10FCC by Robert Pederson, on Flickr

32908527267_2e470654b8_k.jpgD6480057-69C0-408C-85A2-A28FB813021E by Robert Pederson, on Flickr

32908526927_2c73b48459_k.jpgE67ECAB8-FE9D-4EE8-A425-1F8446DC86FB by Robert Pederson, on Flickr

• Like 26

Very neat and proper 'Stang!

One observation – the wings of P-51s had their joints and rivets puttied over, sanded down and the surface painted with silver dope, so as to offer the smoothest possible surface for the laminar flow effect to work its best.

Nice modelling, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

18 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and proper 'Stang!

One observation – the wings of P-51s had their joints and rivets puttied over, sanded down and the surface painted with silver dope, so as to offer the smoothest possible surface for the laminar flow effect to work its best.

Nice modelling, though!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joacim.  Didn't know that.  It would've made the decal on the wing a lot less burdensome

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Nice work. The NMF is very convincing, what did you  use?

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I used Alclad II Duraluminium for the fuselage. Alclad II Aluminium for the wings and Alclad II White Aluminium for the highlighted panels.  I used no primer and I had zero liftoff when masking.  I used to use Testor's Metalizer but it's too fragile.  However the metalizers work well with brush painting.  Alclad II not so much. I noticed that most examples have the highlighted panels darker but I decided to go lighter.  I was happy with the contrast

Edited by Londo
  • Like 1

Looks pretty good, Londo, that distinctive blue nose is well applied. 

My main issues with Tamiya's Mustangs are the wheel wells and the clear bits.  You can disguise the fact the wheel wells don't go back all the way to the main spar with a bit of trompe l'oeil painting or you can resort to the simple expedient of not turning the thing over.  There's no way to completely avoid the visible edges on the transparencies, but attaching them with white glue darkened with some black acrylic or water-based ink will go a long way toward hiding the silvery join lines.

Tamiya's stock decals are indeed heavy duty, but they are always well printed in my opinion.  I've had good luck melting them into submission with Walther's Solvaset.

Beautiful looking Mustang, really nice finish. The canopy and windscreen are one of the weak points of the Tamiya kit. 

I don't know why you filled in the canopy slot - it's there on the real aircraft as there's a guide for the canopy there.

walkaround_p51_b_09.jpg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Beautiful looking Mustang, really nice finish. The canopy and windscreen are one of the weak points of the Tamiya kit. 

I don't know why you filled in the canopy slot - it's there on the real aircraft as there's a guide for the canopy there.

walkaround_p51_b_09.jpg

Oops guess I should have done some research. I just thought it looked terrible.  Oh well live and learn for the next one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous job on the Mustang!  The colors and NMF shades are fantastic. Too bad about the decals.  I have put a gloss clear coat a couple of times over my Alclad to aid in decal application.  It's not supposed to need it, and the gloss clear coat can affect the shine and tone of the Alclad somewhat, but I was more concerned with insuring the decals went on well.  I also typically use Microsol, like you.   A hotter decal solvent, such as Solvaset, might be what you need for the Tamiya decals (which I'm assuming you used).  But I've never used Tamiya kit decals and am not sure how Solvaset would react with Alclad. 

For some reason I've been having issues with the decals on my last couple of kits, so I feel your pain!

Cheers,

Mark