Sleeper's RammTiger - now with stripping and rhinoplasty!!

Appalled by my 100% failure to finish rate on GBs I've gone for something a little easier this time. Hopefully.

Starting with:

spacer.png

This is a cheap Bandai Elefant which arrived at SleeperCentral in a part-built condition. I have disassembled it which was quite easy as the glue was failing. I know the lower hull is too wide, and too short so I can deal with this as well. The supplied tracks just don't sit right so I invested a modest amount of money with Nigel at Parabellum Models in Birmingham and have the Gasoline resin tracks to use now.

There isn't much about this available and this is reflected in builds across the Interweb. Basically a 3-view layout drawing, three photos of the scale model built for the factory to show the customer, and the record of three being accepted by the army Inspectors at Niebelungenwerke in August 1943. That's it.

However I think I have worked out how the armoured shell was fitted to the vehicle especially taking note of Porsche's work on monocoque  construction. The drawing shows two bulkheads parallel to the centre-line then tapering to the outer edge where they meet a transverse bulkhead about level with the driving compartment rear. At the back the parallel bulkheads fit just inside the rear towing loops. Coincidence? I think not. I believe the rear was fixed to these towing loops. At the front a similar arrangement could apply. This would firmly mount the shell to the hull, allow the front to flex slightly upon impact, and be easy to remove for engine access. Bearing in mind the appalling reliability I think the user unit would have got this process drilled to perfection.

So that's several boxes ticked;

Unusual subject

Good use of an outdated kit

Achievable in build window (?)

Needs some application of engineering eyes and brain

Shows why the Germans lost WW2

Interesting concept for street fighting

Barking mad

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Is this the one with a turret, VK 45.01 ? 

It started as one of the 10 built yes. Then it was extensively modified for it's new role. I'll post a drawing and such next time when I can find the images in my chaotic filing system.

• Like 3

Welcome to the build Sleeperservice, interesting build there. Hopefully you will have a successful outcome with your build.

• Like 1

Greetings Feline Fans!

Day one has been mostly productive...

spacer.png

There are several issues with the lower hull so an executive decision meant a replacement. Sometimes life is too short. So what have I done today while others were promenading at the Hinckley show you ask. The lower hull sides are cut out and, on the second attempt they matched both the plans and each other. While I recovered from the shock I checked over the road-wheel assemblies. They all needed some attention and the first completed unit is in the picture with the tube that'll run across the hull. The sprockets are both cleaned up and are ready for their axles. 

The last bits are the upper sponsons (or at least the front part) from the donor kit. The Bandai kit has the drivers plate sloped back too much so the white extensions will deal with that.

Hopefully the next missive will feature the single drawing and 3 model photos that are all that exists to record this idiosyncratic flight of Teutonic thinking. More progress and even positive reports on the mojo restoring powers of Dr Porsche's creation.  

• Like 5

It's like one of those 3D stereoscopic pictures you used to see in magazines a lot - I'm staring at it but I can't see what it's supposed to be..,,,,

Still, all will become clear eventually. Anyone who can do what you're doing gets a big thumbs up from me!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see this project underway - it does look to be an interesting looking project.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

As you have all requested Some background information.

First go HERE and have a look at the hull when it was built as a tank. Then there is this photo

spacer.png

Ignore this IT IS A FAKE!! I know this as I know who made it and why. It was put in Tankette the MAFVA member magazine as an April Fools joke with the admission following in the next issue.

Now we come to what I know is real

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is another picture showing the hull from a slightly different angle.

In addition we know that there were 3 vehicles accepted by the Waffenamt Inspectors at Niebelungen Werke in August 1943. Of the 10 tanks built chassis numbers  (150001 - 150009 inc & 150013) it is known that the command tank '003' issued in April 1944 was chassis 150013 (which was the last vehicle built and re-used a Ferdinand chassis number). 

All the models and writing on the web are based on that. Until somebody finds Grandfather Helmut's photo album showing the thing we have no photos of the built vehicles. Note that the GA is distorted above an artifact of processing.

So now we need to look at the drawing with reference to the models.

A. There are two circular marks above the driver/hull gunners position. These can only be circular hatches for access confirmed by the side view. They were needed as the tank had no hull access everybody entered through the turret hatches (only two of them BTW) because the turret was mounted as far forward as possible. Further evidence is the bulkhead behind the driver.

B. The upper front opening has bevelled edges suggesting an outward opening section. This is shown as a plate on the model so seems OK.

C. There is a large full-width ventilation opening behind the drivers bulkhead. This is the same size as three of the regular tanks rear mounted louvred hatches so that's what I think they are. The top view shows this area divided into three so I'm happy.  EDIT: Delving deeper into the Ferdinand story has shown those with the same grille arrangement drawn whereas well all know what was built. After the guns the BergeTigers were built then these beasts. So I'll be going with the as-built engine deck configuration. Just visible are the lines showing the petrol engines directly behind the bulkhead.

D. There are two fore-and-aft bulkheads directing the air forward on the outside and to the rear in the centre, they are angled out at the front to join the forward transverse bulkhead and continue down the rear of the vehicle to the carapace lower edge. The angled area is strange as the parallel sections don't sit anywhere special but...they just fit between the two rear towing loops. I believe that they are fixed to the hull here.

E. Securing the front end would be trickier. It is possible that it could engage with the front towing loop otherwise it would be secured internally either at the hull outer edge or the lower edge of the bulkhead.

F. At the rear there is a solid plate over the drive motors meeting with the transverse bulkhead just to their front. In the tank this cover had openings to help cooling but the is no sign of them.. Hmm...

That's it for now, except for the blue text showing my thoughts everything else shows what I see.    

• Like 7

No Plan ever survives contact with reality. This is no exception. First up there has been a new arrival

spacer.png

I was spending time in my happy place while returning from SleeperDad's cleaning up the Gasoline tracks. The very nice coach driver even dropped me off five minutes from home rather than at the bus station. But there had been a murmur of discontent  which I put down to the holes for the sprocket teeth being rather wide. However upon returning home I find that the Gasoline tracks are the width of the early 600mm kgs. 62/600/130 which used the 8 spoke drive and idlers. By the time Rammie was built the weight increase to 59 tonnes (from the planned 45 tonnes) required wider tracks to spread the load. Ho Hum. As the extra was to the outside it is rather obvious. A trip to the stash got me this...

Compared to the Bandai kit the detail is noticeably less, both in what's there and in the finesse of the moulding. Not one of the rather prominent castle nuts holding the suspension on are there for example. But the tracks are very nice and with far fewer ejection pin marks to deal with.

Using the PanzerTracts book the angles of the nose armour plates are, measured from the vertical 90 (floor), 45, 30, 78, 9 (drivers front plate). Colour me impressed.

I've plugged the mounting holes, built up the suspension bases, and assembled the jigsaw puzzle from earlier.

spacer.png

Note that I've got to add a little more to the rear sides as I've changed my mind about how I'll build it up.

spacer.png

Here is an aerial shot. There will be another bulkhead at the bottom on the drivers plate to ensure everything stays nice and firm. Ooh Errr Missus... So here's where I am today.

In other news synchronicity has happened. I have been thinking about the reason this thing was completed, designed to attack fortified urban buildings. By August 1943 the German Army was starting to fail as the huge Russian offensives erupted. The completed tank '003' was built up as it had a gun and could be useful but this???

I met up with some friends this week who have been away for sometime and in general chatting discovered that my friend's wife (who I'd only met briefly three times including the wedding) had studied the history of Jewish people in Poland as part of her degree. Apparently the Germans razed the area of the Warsaw Uprising once that had been crushed and everybody put on trains for the death camps. To do this they used anything available as they were aware that the Russians were nearly ready to attack again and were fairly close. If they were ever used it would be there doing exactly what they had been built for. There are very few records of units involved in the job but a lot was filmed to be used as combat footage in news reels. Maybe a RammTiger is lurking in the back of a film record somewhere.

Great times People.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Folks!

After a bit of build, build a bit more, remove the last 2 stages because I made an unavoidable error. I've finally got the lower hull looking about right. What I found amazing is that there are no contemporary internal photos and few of vehicles today. The best source I found was Darlington Publications Tank Ordnance Special No 4 which can be found online. To the evidence

spacer.png

View from the back showing version 4 of the rear compartment arrangement. I'm finally pretty sure it's close enough and there'll be enough room to fit everything that's got to go in there. If not the Version 5 will follow.

spacer.png

Here's the start of the hull roof. The hatches are just placed here in the fully open 180 deg position to check clearances. They'll be fitted in the closed position later. I did think of opening one up but quickly changed my mind as madness lies down that route.

I've had several tries at the shell and Version 3 cut from file subject dividers seems to work so I'll be transferring that to 1.0mm sheet later. Even at that the shell roof will be thinner than the real thing, The folly of the whole drive system is shown by how little room remains for the fighting compartment . Elefant/Ferdinand managed about 500km before the petrol engines needed factory level maintenance, the generator/drive motors weren't much better and work on these items required the vehicle to be virtually dismantled. I assume the maintenance section had time to ponder their misfortune on a regular basis.  

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Partners

Well it took a bit of head scratching but I can report success and progress on this beast. To the evidence

spacer.png

Exhibit 1 shows the overall state of things this morning. The shell is externally complete except for the hatch above the front opening. 1.0mm plasticard for strength which will have a stiffener added along the lower rear edge when I get the angle I've ordered. The hull structure is done after a few improvements in the rear compartment and the hatches are in the closed position. 

I've decided to wing it a bit with the engine deck. This vehicle was built after the upgrade conversion programme to the SPGs was completed so I've decided that the engine deck from the Ferdinand was used on these vehicles. The fact that I'm planning a Kursk build and need the same deck is coincidence...he lied 😝

spacer.png

Exhibit 2 shows inside the shell, ignore the tacked on legs as they're simply to align things during assembly. The transverse bulkhead is positioned according to the GA drawing posted above and shows how low this vehicle was. At the apex there is about 2 feet clearance, I honestly can't see the driver and hull gunner entering from the back even if they could. The reinforcing strip along the front edge I'm still uncertain about on the real deal but the model needs it so, like the reinforcing angle I mentioned above it's staying.

So what remains? Not as much as it seems actually. The longitudinal bulkheads, front hatch, front lower angle, and mounting parts for the shell. For the hull I've got to make the centre grill, driver's visor, hull mg mount, welds, and a few other details. The Tamiya running gear is under way but not available at the time these pictures were taken.

A final confession I popped the suspension mounts off as I wasn't happy with the nut positions, once the suspension units were added they looked well off-centre which wouldn't do at all.

Until we meet again....   

• Like 7

On 6/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, BIG X said:

Admiration - that would be the right word - excellent work Sir.

Thank You for that. I assume you mean my work rather than the poor sods in the maintenance department.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:19 PM, Ozzy said:

Fantastic scratch building Sir,

From someone with your ability that is a compliment indeed. Thank You.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, PlaStix said:

Great to see your progress and well done so far!

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, it's been fighting a bit but generally acts as if it wants to be built. It's fought me a bit but you can tell it's heart wasn't in it.    

• Like 2

Hi SleeperService. Great to  see there's been more progress. You have done a great job so far - lovely scratchbuilding! Keep going!!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Feline Lovers of the Interweb :D

The dangers of looking at enlarged photos of your build.

Towit

spacer.png

Time for a bit of rhinoplasty. Two reasons really. I was uncertain about the shell holding it's shape unsupported (it didn't) and I'd managed to make the opening for the front lopsided. Further examination revealed the front nose plates now turned up at the front. So out came my drawing board and I redrew the shell using the dimensions quoted. The LHS fits, is straight, and the pencil line shows where the opening edge should be.

spacer.png

Ignore the temporary braces and that's what I believe the drawing shows the inside to be. There's an angled piece to be added to link the bulkheads and I'll need to put a bracing strip along the bottom edge.

spacer.png    

Yes the hull roof is bowed but that won't matter when it's all together. I wasn't happy with the grilles so made another set and then set about building the centre grille. This is item 15. I built three at a time and the first set came out really well except for being 3mm too long. Finally I got some usable ones. 

I can't believe that it's taken two weeks to do this. However it's been do a bit, wait an hour, carry on. So now I know the two parts will mate properly I can get detailing the hull and completing the shell as two mini-projects.

Inspired by the fun this has been, yes, I really have enjoyed it, I dug out my Tiggie 2 that was completed for about a week before the new type Billy Bookcase decided it wasn't up to the job. Thankfully I don't glue roadwheels on so it came apart reasonably OK and now is stripping away. 

spacer.png  

• Like 5

The last time I looked here I had no idea what was going on. Now it's all become clear, and I'm gobsmacked. I thought tackling scratching something that looked a bit like an engine was mad, but this takes the biscuit for audacity!

Hats off to you for your determination and your engineering skills. This is going to be a belter - and a unique belter at that!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank You for looking as my battle continues.

@Badder Thank You especially for the nice comments, it's only happening because of the BM Massive and prescription medications :worthy:

A minor communique today as a lot of effort with little to show but an interesting photo to share...I hope you find it interesting :whistle:

spacer.png

Sitting rather low as I haven't got to the suspension yet but the shell and hull are in their correct positions. The far side front is fixed while I measure out the front mounting beams so I snapped this as I couldn't quite believe what it revealed.

See that gap between the hull roof and the shell? That's 15mm that is, really the drawings agree. 720mm full-size or 28.3 inches. The drawings show the hatches, mg position and drivers visor all moved closer to the centre line and now we know why. At the driver's front plate the gap is 360mm so, as a means of entry, pretty much impossible for anyone big enough to drive the beast. 

So time to assume again. The hatch(es) above the front opening MUST be for crew access. Looking at the state-of-the-art engineering on the Ferdinand :wicked: I suspect hinges on one edge to make them easy to open with a pivoting bar (or two) on the inside to lock them. Possibly with a torsion bar arrangement to assist, however that may be a comfort too many for Herr Porsche. 

Ease of use may have been a factor in this vehicles design but only a very tiny factor.

At some stage I'll need to work out what to do at the back, whatever was fitted would have to allow practically unobstructed airflow to avoid the thing overheating before the second engine was started. Yep, two engines dynamo and drive motor one was started by an inertia flywheel which then started the other once number 1 was steady. Assuming it hadn't overheated or broken down. It's commented that Herr Hitler wasn't assassinated as he was doing a good job for the Allies by the time an Operation was possible, I believe Herr Porsche was another major Allied asset as well.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 2