Saab Viggen SH-37 1/48th

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:whistle: Oh they had bladder problems too? :D

More or less.

The remaining fuel in the afterburner rings is just dumped when the engine shuts down, so a small potty collects it.

• Like 1

Magnificent job on the best camo in the modelling game, and real life. Really detailed but tricky build mastered. Well done 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Lovely model. I have the SH version plus any other extras needed including the splinter mask.

Great work.

👍👍

you have a sort of idea what you're up against, aside from just general fit issues with the model and some of the extras, it's that rear fuselage assembly that'll give you the most headaches to get right. There assembly method I reckon will get you gap issues (I tried test fitting it that way and wasn't happy with the results), I'd say do heaps of test fits and go the way your happiest with. There'll be some gaps no matter what.

As far as the splinter scheme, I fell now there are only two ways to go, light to dark or dark to light with the masking and painting. Dark to light would be the easiest (I did it on my "Splinter" MiG-21) but it'll throw off all the lighter colours and you'll need to heavier coats. So light to dark would be the way to go. I'll have fun with the masking, the masks do stick VERY well so make sure your bases surfaces are super clean. Plus I forgot to mention in the build but the decals are really thick, I'd be almost tempted to get some nice AM ones to replace them with.

It'll be a wee bit of a challenging build, bit take you time and you'll be rewarded with something really nice. You have to do a thread for the build, I'd love to see another one being built. We may have the Scandinavian GB (I'm hosting) next year so a perfect time to build it! :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much.

Recently I was building 2 Saabs but my cabinet broke and the models were severely damaged. I am attempting to fix them. I am laying off Swedish subjects for a while due to the pain of it.

Again, great build. 👍👍👍

On 5/17/2019 at 6:14 AM, Christer A said:

That turned out real well in the end!

The colors do look very nice to my eyes, and the weathering is suitable for a newish aircraft.

Great great work!

(even though the wheel chocks are the wrong type, and you forgot to hang the potty underneath the ventral fin 😉 )

That was your job, wasn´t it? ;) The bucket..

I say it again, great job trickyrich. :)

• Haha 2

Apart from the fact that this kit has given you a really hard time to build it, I have to say you have done an excellent job!!!

I guess if I want to build a Viggen I have to look for 1/72 kits! So, thanks for the warning!

Cheers

Bill

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Thanks so much.

Recently I was building 2 Saabs but my cabinet broke and the models were severely damaged. I am attempting to fix them. I am laying off Swedish subjects for a while due to the pain of it.

Again, great build. 👍👍👍

Don't let it stop you from building an amazing aircraft, now it's gone we sort of have to remember how awesome it was....even if we weren't lucky enough to ever see one flying....or even in the flesh!

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

Apart from the fact that this kit has given you a really hard time to build it, I have to say you have done an excellent job!!!

I guess if I want to build a Viggen I have to look for 1/72 kits! So, thanks for the warning!

Cheers

Bill

I'll aways say have a go, not sure who makes the best 1/72nd version, but looking at the instructions of the Tarangus/Special Hobby version, looks to just be a scaled down version of the 1/48th one! So at least with that one you know what you're getting into!

The 1/48th one is build able, but you're just going to have to work for it, plus you'll need to get weapons for it (and prob with the 1/72nd version as well) as they're not supplied for some bizarre reason. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, would be interesting to know about the 1/72nd one.. Not that I would build it, I "switched" to 48th scale ones and my socks scroll themselves if I mix the scales.. ;)

They did fix some of the mistakes atleast. But not all of them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Rich...........

I am in awe of your mastery of the complex “Fields and Meadows” pattern on the Viggen.  :worthy:

thanks

it came with a lot of pain and angst, the most difficult scheme I've done to date....and for some bizarre reason I seem to like these complex ones. Have a Ukraine Su-24 almost ready for it's "digital" scheme....more masking!! :doh:

just because I'm pretty chuffed...... this baby took out 1st place at my local IPMS meeting today. Think she may have to join the F-14D in the final end of the year major comp now!