USS Idaho BB-24 Question

e8n2

I have the Samek resin kit of the USS Idaho BB-24 in 1/700th scale.  I have painted the deck Colourcoats teak and am almost ready to paint the hull.  Is the deck above the main deck and the mounts for the seconday armament also teak or metal?  I am guessing metal as they have no wooden deck details.  If it is metal, what color would the deck be?
TIA
Later,
Dave

Yes and no.  It show the deck to me metal and painted a lighter gray than the rest of the hull, but what color?  It is really a great build, but from some of the photos that I have seen, all the gun barrels should be black and not gray as seen here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_battleship_Lemnos#/media/File:USS_Idaho_-_NH_74260.jpg

Later,

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hi Dave, found this image from 1912 and gun barrels look like they're light gray or gun metal; what do you think?  I have this kit too and would like to portray her as she looks here. Looks like the gun barrels were painted black when she was in service in the Greek Navy.

Edited by varifleman
add photo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, varifleman said:

Hi Dave, found this image from 1912 and gun barrels look like they're light gray or gun metal; what do you think?  I have this kit too and would like to portray her as she looks here. Looks like the gun barrels were painted black when she was in service in the Greek Navy.

The picture that I linked to was from 1909 when she was still the Idaho.  I don't trust any color photos from that time period as they were all colorized and open to somebody's interpretation.  I plan on doing her from the 1909 time period in gray with just the single cage mast.  I have noticed that some time between 1909 and 1912, or whenever it was the second cage mast was added, the "bay window" with its associated gun was removed from both sides of the forward hull.  In the picture I linked to it they are on the side of the bull just forward of the front main gun turret.  Speaking with Randy Short of Snyder and Short, he recommended using #11 outside gray for the hull color on both the Idaho and the Glencoe Oregon that I am also building, but he had no idea about the one area I was asking about on the Idaho.  Darn not having aerial views from that time period!  I guess I will just have to wing it for the deck color since there aren't any crewman around from the time period to tell me that I have really botched it.  Thanks for the assistance so far.

Later,

Dave

• 1 year later...

After letting it sit for just over a year, I am back to working on it again, but it is still the same problem.  I removed most of the paint that was on the metal decks and super glued the railings into place and have also assembled the cage mast.  So again, the model build linked to earlier was just photos and nothing was mentioned about how  he came up with the color used for the decks.  At least since post WW I US Navy ships have had the deck a darker color than the hull.  So hopefully somebody as info as to whether or not the deck should be the same or darker than the hull color.

Later,

Dave