Oberleutenant Franz von Werra's Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4

As a bit of break from RAF Cold War aircraft and commission builds, I had this fantastic kit given to me as a Christmas present.

Airfix's new mold of their Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 - full build log can be found here -

I wasn't sure which colour scheme I would go with, but eventually decided on the scheme provided for Luftwaffe Oberleutenant Franz von Werra, who is also the subject for the box artwork too.

Franz Xaver Baron von Werra (13 July 1914 – 25 October 1941) was a German World War II fighter pilot and flying ace who was shot down over Britain and captured. He is generally regarded as the only Axis prisoner of war to succeed in escaping from Canadian custody and return to Germany, although a U-Boat seaman, Walter Kurt Reich, is also said to have escaped by jumping from a Polish troopship into the St. Lawrence River in July 1940.[1][2] Werra managed to return to Germany via the US, Mexico, South America, and Spain, finally reaching Germany on 18 April 1941.[3] Oberleutnant von Werra was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 14 December 1940. His story was told in the book The One That Got Away by Kendall Burt and James Leasor, which was made into a film of the same name, starring Hardy Kruger. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Werra

spacer.png      spacer.png spacer.png

The man him self                             von Werra's shot downover Winchet Hill, Kent 109, September 5th 1940 - von Werra with his pet lion - as you do......

So one to my representation of von Werra's 109E-4........I'll admit the stance is a little off, and no where near the level of some the 109E-4's built on here, but its passable.

33973595488_c12166566a_z.jpgDSC_2083

40884153533_0f38e74198_z.jpgDSC_2084

The antenna is MiG's rigging at 0.01mm...I think it too fine and maybe replace it with the slightly thicker 0.03mm instead.

46934633845_36afcc0534_z.jpgDSC_2085

As I mentioned, I think the stance is a little too high and not as squat as it should be.

46934633525_01f1f32cbd_z.jpgDSC_2086

A little light weathering for dirt and exhaust and it's done I think?

..........Next time on the Hero of Cantons build log..........

I started this a few years back as a kind of tribute to the engineer who designed the Zero, Jiro Horikoshi. A brilliant engineer who only wanted to follow his dream of flight. I would highly recommend watching the Studio Ghibli movie - The Wind Rises, which is based on his life.

33973592018_ca60507cb4_z.jpgDSC_2087

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 18

Thank you very much gents....It was a really nice aircraft to build and certainly a learning point on the 109 itself.

The Zeke will be another experimental build for new techniques to learn such as paint chipping I think?

Nicely modelled '09, although the pics are a bit small and dark to show your work to best advantage.

The one feature that looks a bit 'unusual' is the landing gear geometry:

bf-109e-relaxing.jpg?w=690&h=452

As you mentioned, the legs should indeed be more splayed and the wheels are not perpendicular to the ground but have pronounced negative camber. It's a very visible characteristic of the '09 look. Next time… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1