Hasegawa 1:48 Nakajima Ki-44-II Ko (Shoki – Demon)

This aircraft is from the Akeno Training Flight Division, Akeno Airfield, 1944. A very nice kit with no vices. When I started collecting info on this kit I noticed almost every build mentioned an over-lap of the of the wings near the wing root(see below). Many builders filed this in and a few let it be. I test fit mine and sure enough mine had it as well. Going through my books I found that this is correct, It represents the Fowler Flaps the aircraft used. To paint the innards I first used Model Master Acryl, some kinda dark blue, the name worn off years ago. This was lightly over-sprayed with Polly Scale Blue Grey. The aircraft moving surfaces were sprayed with Tamiya XF-14: J.A. Grey. Hasegawa provided decals for white Home Defence bands and these were a gawd awful beige. I measured the bands and then sprayed them on using Vallejo White with a few drops of Grey to tone it down. The Yellow ID bands were also sprayed on using Vallejo. I just purchased the new (to me) line of Vallejo Metallics; I used Semi-Dull Aluminum for this. The stuff sprays fantastic. For weathering I used Tamiya Panel Line Brown and around some of the panels and wing root area I used Citadel Gryphonne Sepia wash. I use Citadel washes a lot as they can be slowly built up. I used the kit decals for the fuselage Hinomarus and tail markings. Somehow I got very, very lucky with these because when I went to apply the wing walk decal it shattered. I used the wing Hinomarus from my N1K2 George kit as they were a lot bigger than the ones Hasegawa depicted. For the aerial I used Uschi van der Rosten Superfine Rigging Thread-0.01mm. This stuff sticks almost immediately to CA and has a lot of stretch to avoid sagging. If there is a small minus to this thread it is so light and fine I never know when I have in my fingertips. To glue the thread at four points took seconds, to handle it took minutes

img_0004-jpg.538188

img_0005-jpg.538189

img_0006-jpg.538190

img_0007-jpg.538191

img_0008-jpg.538192

img_0009-jpg.538193

img_0010-jpg.538196

img_0011-jpg.538197

img_0015-jpg.531824

img_0008-jpg.532250

img_0009-jpg.532251

Edited by fubar57
freakin typos man
  • Like 22

58 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

shouldn't this be in the Ready for Inspection section?

yes it should be.

@fubar57 I will move it there, for your next one please post in the appropriate section.

Thx

Julien

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2019 at 01:13, Julien said:

yes it should be.

@fubar57 I will move it there, for your next one please post in the appropriate section.

Thx

Julien

Thanks all. I tried to edit it to the correct section just after I originally posted but I couldn't find an option to do so. Is there such an option?

6 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Thanks all. I tried to edit it to the correct section just after I originally posted but I couldn't find an option to do so. Is there such an option?

Hi,

You cant change it, just message one of the moderators and we will sort it out.

JUlien

• Thanks 2

Excellent!  The Ki-44 is one of my favourite Japanese WWII planes.

Your build shows this pugnacious beauty to great effect.

The NMF is nicely done.

:goodjob: