Here I am. Rock you like a hurricane (are you ready, baby?) The Airfix Hurricane 1/24

On 10/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, SaminCam said:

This looks awesome Jonny! it's huge as well - the picture with you holding the prop for painting made me double take. How do you find it switching between scales? I've only ever touched 1/72...

Thanks. Sorry I missed this. 🤪 switching scales is fine. Just bigger and smaller. Bigger I like but it takes sooo long to finish.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

I don't know what is more impressive...your modelling skills,  or when I see it in your hand I realize the model is probably bigger than your head!  

Really an astounding museum piece if there ever was one.  What will happen to it when you're done?  

Ha thanks. Yes it’s pretty darn big. When she’s done I’ll pop her in the cabinet along with the Messerchmit . 🤗🤩

On 10/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, mustang1989 said:

This looks like an EPIC build. I've built one 1/24 scale build but don't think I'll build any more because of their size and my display space.

Yeah there space suckers that’s for sure.

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man......this is turning out good!!! 

Thanks. 😇

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Gorgeous Jont, just gorgeous :) 

Thanks Ced. 🙃

19 hours ago, one of the few said:

Looking absolutely brilliant. I have always loved the Airfix Hurricane, and i prefer it to the more modern Trumpeter kit. One of the details missed out by Airfix however is the little drain hole on the bottom panel under the nose. It`s an easy fix but still an irritating omission !. 

Drain hole you say? 🤣🙄😬🤗

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Indeed! :rofl::rofl:

Ciao

Oh yes. 🙌

• Like 2

19 hours ago, one of the few said:

Looking absolutely brilliant. I have always loved the Airfix Hurricane, and i prefer it to the more modern Trumpeter kit. One of the details missed out by Airfix however is the little drain hole on the bottom panel under the nose. It`s an easy fix but still an irritating omission !. 

48942644893_a220bb1ccf_c.jpg

this thing? 🤔

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, woody37 said:

Just caught up with this, beautiful painting and weathering, just the way to approach one of these old 1/24 kits :)

Thank you sir. 🥰

On 10/24/2019 at 12:57 AM, stevehnz said:

Another big catch up & what a treat, gawd but its big, you seem to have mastered it exquisitely well though Johnny, the end in sight now?

Steve.

It is indeed and thanks. Thought I might have got her over the line this weekend. Alas. 🙃

• Like 1

Hi guys. Hope you have all had a splendid weekend? I hoped to have the big bird finished over the last two days alas with kids scout camp and meeting up with old friends it just wasn’t meant to be. There was some work over the week but not enough to edge her over the finish line.

Let me explain. 😎

First of the missing UC parts got made and painted and weathered.

48969900763_a98e36f7c6_b.jpg

that should make it easier to not flap around in the wind. 🤪

It was really hard to try and see how these things were going to fit and stay fitted in one piece so I decided to fot them boot at a time.

48969896393_e110b2dc2f_b.jpg

While the first leg bits dried I sprayed the nose.

48970614572_867853500a_b.jpg

don’t worry it’s not a mistake or a Messerschmitt for that matter. I remembered to spray yellow before red to give that juicy colour tone.❤️
Everything was going so smoothly, something just had to give. 🤔 This was it.

There seemed to be a blob of water on the wing underside after flying the UC legs. So I mopped it off with my finger. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😓😓😓

it wasn’t water.

48970446031_cafbea1f10_b.jpg

some TET must have dipped off while I was mid glue. 😓😓 straight through to the blue plastic.  Sad but not un-fixable.

I decided not to wallow but press on and fix up. The UC wheels and legs got fitted and glued. They actually feel quite strong.

48970614887_8c0e3fa71b_b.jpg

The nose got a top red blast.

48970619177_342ecf787d_b.jpg

ooooh lovely.

After This I set about fixing the wing.

Sanding and paint.

48969896443_7088a48215_b.jpg

This shot was taken after I decanted a small amount of TS13 and applied with a brush. That needs to dry. 💪💪

The not quite slotted together UC legs got squeezed in and... bang! They looked pretty much solid. 😇😇

48969896423_a228692eda_b.jpg

I also drilled that oil drain hole thing. 😇🙌
After a night drying she was able to do this. ❤️

48970446041_ff2b737161_b.jpg

How cool is that? 😇😇🙌🙌🥳🥳🥳 you can just see the rear view mirror on the cutting mat after it’s first coat of black paint. The wing still needed sorting so.

48970615077_ec583bc1e5_b.jpg

a little flory aaaaaaand.

48969896628_1c9b572baa_b.jpg

done. You can see it if you go looking but it’s good enough and to be fair it could have been a lot worse.

And that dear hearts is where we’re at. I managed to Flory the nose after a gloss coat this morning.

48970441091_6e21ddf672_b.jpg

And that is it. 😫 I did take a nice pic of her in the autumn sun.

48969903128_2c57bc5431_b.jpg

and that is where she will be until next I’m at the bench.

Thanks for dropping my friends. Take care and as always.

Happy moddeling.

I’m off to bed. Sweet dreams. 
Johnny zzzzzzz😴

• Like 35

Was just thumbing through all the pages again in simple awe--really loved the reference photos you left for the rest of on the real thing and the awesome techniques you are sharing--finally noticed your yearbook--your builds are all spectacular! :worthy:😎

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
flow
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2019 at 19:31, The Spadgent said:

48942644893_a220bb1ccf_c.jpg

this thing? 🤔

This came up recently on the Hurricane questions thread.. 

Seems it's access to a crankcase plug that reveals the timing marks on the crankshaft, to facilitate setting the timing and magnetos etc. 

That under-panel on a Hurricane doesn't come off as conveniently as the Spitfire apparently. 

I gotta say Johnny, you're really doing  this old kit proud!! 

Absolutely stonking build. 

Exemplary, I'd say 😇

Edited by rob Lyttle
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, Martian Hale said:

Very impressive our Johnny.

Martian 👽

Thankee Mr Martian. Can’t wait to finish off now. 🙌

On 10/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, Spookytooth said:

She looks absolutely wonderful Johnny.

Top banana mate, the dog`s back wheels.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. You’re a gent.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Wow--looks awesome!

Thank you. Too kind. 😇

On 10/27/2019 at 10:52 PM, CedB said:

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Well done fixing the blob Jont. Not long now :) 

Thank you Mr B.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:39 PM, giemme said:

Looking grrrreat! :worthy: Perfect fix on the wing, too :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G! 😎

On 10/28/2019 at 12:03 AM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Was just thumbing through all the pages again in simple awe--really loved the reference photos you left for the rest of on the real thing and the awesome techniques you are sharing--finally noticed your yearbook--your builds are all spectacular! :worthy:😎

So kind. Thanks. 🤩🤩

On 10/28/2019 at 3:03 AM, stevehnz said:

Great update. looking just brilliant. :)

Steve.

Thanks.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:40 AM, Hamden said:

Stunning absolutely stunning every inch a Hurricane. In the right setting could betaken for a 1:1 scale!

Roger

Thank you sir. 👌

On 10/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, SafetyDad said:

Great fix on the wing there! She looks really impressive stood up on her wheels.

Excellent!

SD

Thanks. Yes I was a bit worried there was talk that the legs weren’t up to the job but they’re just fine. 

21 hours ago, one of the few said:

That last picture catching the sun is just awesome!!!

Thanks. It was a lovely sun that morning. 🌞

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

I've been absolutely loving watching this build. Not far to go now and oh my word are you going to end up with quite the looker!

Thank you kidda. 🙌

17 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This came up recently on the Hurricane questions thread.. 

Seems it's access to a crankcase plug that reveals the timing marks on the crankshaft, to facilitate setting the timing and magnetos etc. 

That under-panel on a Hurricane doesn't come off as conveniently as the Spitfire apparently. 

I gotta say Johnny, you're really doing  this old kit proud!! 

Absolutely stonking build. 

Exemplary, I'd say 😇

Phew. I thought you were going to say that I didn’t d to add the holes then for a minute. 😱 but all good. Thanks Rob. 💪

• Like 4