Here I am. Rock you like a hurricane (are you ready, baby?) The Airfix Hurricane 1/24

1 hour ago, Clogged said:

Looking amazing!

1 hour ago, James G said:

Great work Johnny!

44 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

BIG decals there sir, fitting a treat by the looks of it.

Simon.

Thank you guys. 🤩🤩🤩

I need to wait for the setting solution to settle. They are massive though. I’ll add weathering to them in due course. 😍😇

Alright. Speak now if anything looks wrong. I’m going to walk the dog then press on. 

48885115352_e7057b56c8_b.jpg

@Troy Smith

look good? 
I must say. BritModeller is the bloody best!

You chaps are like no other, such camaraderie and help. It’s second to none.

🥰🤩🤪😇🤛🙌

right. Where’s that hound. 😬

btw. I’m not adding the serial code as I can’t see it in any of the real pics. Sound good?

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 13

27 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Alright. Speak now if anything looks wrong. I’m going to walk the dog then press on. 

48885115352_e7057b56c8_b.jpg

@Troy Smith

look good? 
I must say. BritModeller is the bloody best!

You chaps are like no other, such camaraderie and help. It’s second to none.

I'd have pushed the underwing roundels out further,  actually, I'd have gone mental and found some the right size..... but that's just me ...

It's quite possible that when the Airfix artwork was done, (IE 1973) the other photos of LK-A had not surfaced publicly,  hence lack of nose flash.

27 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

btw. I’m not adding the serial code as I can’t see it in any of the real pics. Sound good?

Yes, no serial visible, LK-A had been in France IIIRC, and it was common to paint out serials there for security. 

I did pull out my 1979 era build 'reduced to parts' build of the kit last night,  to ponder on the wing roundels,   it's a big old beastie.   "one day"  I must have another bash at one....

Despite my comments on the kit, it does look the part when done, and the first one I did in 1976 was my absolute pride and joy,  though when I later discovered the Hurricane History and How to Model them book in the library,  i got 'clever' and tried to modify the kit, opening up the side panels......

I did also try to make a IIA,  though I now realise the 'how too' in the book is basically cobblers.... the remains of those two are hiding in the shed... 

I digress,  looking great.

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely looking great from where I seat, Johnny! :clap: :clap:

Just finished watching "Battle of Britain" for the tenth time, and it has boosted my modelling mojo a fair bit :pilot: Off to the bench!

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd have pushed the underwing roundels out further,  actually, I'd have gone mental and found some the right size..... but that's just me ...

It's quite possible that when the Airfix artwork was done, (IE 1973) the other photos of LK-A had not surfaced publicly,  hence lack of nose flash.

Yes, no serial visible, LK-A had been in France IIIRC, and it was common to paint out serials there for security. 

I did pull out my 1979 era build 'reduced to parts' build of the kit last night,  to ponder on the wing roundels,   it's a big old beastie.   "one day"  I must have another bash at one....

Despite my comments on the kit, it does look the part when done, and the first one I did in 1976 was my absolute pride and joy,  though when I later discovered the Hurricane History and How to Model them book in the library,  i got 'clever' and tried to modify the kit, opening up the side panels......

I did also try to make a IIA,  though I now realise the 'how too' in the book is basically cobblers.... the remains of those two are hiding in the shed... 

I digress,  looking great.

cheers

T

Thanks Troy. You’re an absolute star. You really should rekindle the old beastie. She’s a joy. I’ll push them out a little then I can get on with setting and settling. 🙌

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Definitely looking great from where I seat, Johnny! :clap: :clap:

Just finished watching "Battle of Britain" for the tenth time, and it has boosted my modelling mojo a fair bit :pilot: Off to the bench!

Ciao

Thanks G. Go get ‘em tiger. 😀

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

OK Biggles , have a great time.

Simon.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

She's looking great. What I would do is to paint some slightly different tones where the serial has been painted out.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

What I would do is to paint some slightly different tones where the serial has been painted out

P2798 went to France April 40, most likely as new, and that would have been done then,  so that is why there is no patch where it has been painted out, as no time to fade.  I can't see any new patch of paint  on the photos, and there are well lit ones of both sides.

• Thanks 1

All that info gathered together in this thread... Of course, it's easier when the kite is as well-documented as LK*A - no offense intended Troy ( I didn't know the night fighter was the exact same plane)

She is looking most fantastically well, Johnny! I am afraid of those big letters too... 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, SafetyDad said:

Wonderful work Johnnie. She's coming together really nicely :like:

SD

Why thank you. 🤩

On 10/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, Luiz said:

Very well done!

Congratulations!

Luiz.

Thanks. 

On 10/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, CedB said:

Lovely work joint, she's going to be a beauty :) 

Cheeres! 🤩

On 10/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, Martian Hale said:

She's looking great. What I would do is to paint some slightly different tones where the serial has been painted out.

Helpful of Mars 👽

I thought about that then saw this⬇️⬇️

On 10/12/2019 at 7:32 PM, Troy Smith said:

P2798 went to France April 40, most likely as new, and that would have been done then,  so that is why there is no patch where it has been painted out, as no time to fade.  I can't see any new patch of paint  on the photos, and there are well lit ones of both sides.

And there you go. Thanks again Troy. 😇

22 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

All that info gathered together in this thread... Of course, it's easier when the kite is as well-documented as LK*A - no offense intended Troy ( I didn't know the night fighter was the exact same plane)

She is looking most fantastically well, Johnny! I am afraid of those big letters too... 

the letters are good actually. I just trimmed them and cut them on the fly to suit.  And thanks. 😀

Good evening guys.

Steady work this weekend with a lot of help from you lot. 🥳

here’s what’s left. ignoring weathering and fun paint. 

48893340817_ba1ae5d4e6_b.jpg

I have gone and lost the clear tree with some lights and the rear view on it so I’ll have to scratch that. Not so bad really.

Let’s begin.

Exhausts primed.

48892623883_2443c0bc64_b.jpg

Spinner primed.

48892624893_74367eb75f_b.jpg

Pretty much all the last s cleaned and primed. 🤪

48893339817_a8b80fbcd5_b.jpg

Tyres started.

48893158226_63f34bbde2_b.jpg

Opening canopy masked.

48893159221_c73baca8a0_b.jpg

Zero fed.

48893340782_f07365fda4_b.jpg

😅and walked😅

Then I fitted the new brake wires.

48893158146_a18ef68c52_b.jpg

And pure shaded the bits that needed it.

48893158131_ff5ced30cb_b.jpg

The massive spinner started getting attention.

48893159136_8254c8012d_b.jpg

and the inside of the UC got some silver.

48892624863_6c567e425b_b.jpg

as did the exhausts.

48893158141_c0218eaa3d_b.jpg

honestly that dull aluminum is really shiny when you don’t want it to be. I’ll mat that up later with smoke post shade and top coats and weathering. 😇

Most in between moments have been spent making these bad boys conform to the details on this big beast.

48893339777_11ea235406_b.jpg

micro sol Daco strong and more micro sol.

48893339757_a3400e21ec_b.jpg

eventually we are there.😇

I need to knock them back with some post colours but that’s when this top coat dries.

48893159356_2c4fb791c3_b.jpg

I’m really happy with the way they have settled. 😅

That’s it for now. Quite a productive weekend all in. Hope you all had a good un.

Take care and I’ll see you in the week.

Johnny. 😇

• Like 16