Here I am. Rock you like a hurricane (are you ready, baby?) The Airfix Hurricane 1/24

On 10/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Well Johnny,

the Hurricane painting looks extremely nice and colorful!ย ๐Ÿ‘ย I guess youโ€™ll spend a lot of the paint on it!ย ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thanks kid. It is my favourite bit. ๐Ÿ˜

On 10/6/2019 at 5:41 PM, TheBaron said:

Looking rich even in that nascent state Johnny.

Bring onย  the vibrance!

:clap2:

Thanks Tony. ๐Ÿ™Œ

On 10/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny, wow She's a real beauty, looking absolutely stunning. Great work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. ๐Ÿ˜‡

On 10/6/2019 at 7:42 PM, giemme said:

Off to a great start with camo painting, Johnny! :clap: :clap:

ย 

Not sure what are the advantages of heavily thinned paint when you have to lay down base coats - your own method looks just appropriate to me

ย 

Ciao

Thanks G. Yup, seems to be going well.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:15 PM, Howlindawg said:

I'm curious as to how the transition point between brown and green is going to look with what is basically a translucent top coat.

Looking forward to seeing it with the green added but so far it looks great!

Thanks. Seems to have gone ok. If you look for it you can see the join but I still need to add a few more layers yet. Sheโ€™s looking better than I thought.ย 

8 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking very sharp there sir.

Now waiting for theย  green to go on.

ย 

Carry on the fine work.

ย 

Simon.

Thanks Simon. ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿคฉ

• Like 3

Hi guys.

I had to leave her on Sunday eve but I did manage to get some paint on tonight.

ย Hereโ€™s how it went.ย 
first coat was a bit of a panic as I wasnโ€™t sure how the coverage would be.

48861412851_748686ef76_b.jpg

But as I began laying down coats it started coming together.ย 

48861882366_d3748aaf7e_b.jpg

Not forgetting the panels.

48861607997_0fc175eb04_b.jpg

More coats.

48861429001_854fb3e451_b.jpg

Starting to look something like. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿค—.

48862077192_9c232f6d8b_b.jpg

The transition I was a little worried about canโ€™t really be seen unless that is you go looking for it. ๐Ÿคช

I need to add more layers after the masks come off so all will be good. ๐Ÿ™Œ any way more coats.

48862077302_93e0f475a9_b.jpg

Almost there now.

48861619492_d5ceeacf38_b.jpg 48861412936_4a5aac668c_b.jpg

Ok I think thatโ€™s it. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜‰just need to wait a bit..........

gah!!!!! Canโ€™t wait.......

48861608097_f16c6a4338_b.jpg

๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ the Blu tac left some residue which came as a bit of a shock. ๐Ÿคจ but a bit of water on a cotton bud sorted the marks out really well. ๐Ÿฅณ

48861608162_dd0beeb3c8_b.jpg

itโ€™s like some kind of therapeutic wonder doing this. All toย the the music of Ennio Morricone that was on radio 6 tonight โ€œThe good The bad and The uglyโ€ ... thankfully she seems to be turning out all good. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡

48861353968_4a916aaa03_b.jpg

Had to leave her there, my hour was up. ๐Ÿคช more soon.

ย Thanks once again for dropping by.

Happy modelling yโ€™all.

Johnny Hurricane. ๐ŸŒช

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 21

Cool! You achieved an excellent effect, Johnny! :clap:ย :clap:ย 

ย 

Blue tac residuals: in my experience, they only show up when using brand new stuff. If you reuse a leftover, there's going to be no residual at all. Also, if you apply the blue tac sausages on top of a gloss coat, it will leave no residuals whatsoever. But even if it does, a few light coats of gloss clear will sort that. HTH

ย 

Ciao

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks excellent!ย ๐Ÿ‘ Itโ€™s a very accurate work, Johnny, bravo!

Thanks Nikolay. ๐Ÿ™Œ

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

ย 

Outstanding result with the camo. Good work

ย 

ย  Roger

Thankyou Rodger. ๐Ÿ˜‡

11 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

looking good John!

Thanks Dawg! ๐Ÿ˜

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Cool! You achieved an excellent effect, Johnny! :clap:ย :clap:ย 

ย 

Blue tac residuals: in my experience, they only show up when using brand new stuff. If you reuse a leftover, there's going to be no residual at all. Also, if you apply the blue tac sausages on top of a gloss coat, it will leave no residuals whatsoever. But even if it does, a few light coats of gloss clear will sort that. HTH

ย 

Ciao

Yup as you say it was right out of the pack. Doh. Never mind it came clean with a bud. Iโ€™ll know for next time. Thanks for the tip Giorgio. ๐Ÿคฉ

10 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Lovely! Apologies if I missed it, but what colours are you using?ย 

Thanks. No probs at all. Iโ€™m using Tamiya XF-81 dark green 2 (RAF) and Mr Hobby Aquious hobby colour H72 Dark earth. Hope that helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Bellissimo!

ย 

Ian

Thanks Ian youโ€™re too kind.ย 
ย 

Thanks for all the kind words.

ย Still not got all the masks off. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great result painting! If all goes well, you will be required to dance the traditional Hurricane dance. I will demomstrate:

"You put the left wing on, you put the right wing on, you do a lot of scratching and you shake your fist about, you brush some layers of paint and have a nervous breakdown, that's what it's all about!
Aah, Peter, Peter Townsend..."

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Great result painting! If all goes well, you will be required to dance the traditional Hurricane dance. I will demomstrate:

"You put the left wing on, you put the right wing on, you do a lot of scratching and you shake your fist about, you brush some layers of paint and have a nervous breakdown, that's what it's all about!
Aah, Peter, Peter Townsend..."

Thanks. Great song! I had ma wings on already so....... ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿคช

4 hours ago, europapete said:

that chicken shelter looks like a nose cowl from a TR3.ย 

Oooooh very close! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

• Like 1

...and I should have added that I love the work on the Hurri. I have one part built in the stash - the only kit I have which I have started but not finished before moving onto the next as I became a bit bogged down in trying to add detail to the engine, as well as wanting to convert it to a Sea Hurricane. Your build is certainly making me want to dig it out and finish it off...!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickthebrief said:

If it's not a 3 then in must surely be a 2? I'd love a "small mouth" 3....

Cheers,

Nick.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner. Yes itโ€™s an old Tr2 my neighbor is a car enthusiast and he was throwing it out as it has been in his cellar for years. The hens love it. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ“

1 hour ago, Nickthebrief said:

...and I should have added that I love the work on the Hurri. I have one part built in the stash - the only kit I have which I have started but not finished before moving onto the next as I became a bit bogged down in trying to add detail to the engine, as well as wanting to convert it to a Sea Hurricane. Your build is certainly making me want to dig it out and finish it off...!

Cheers,

Nick.

Oh thanks. You should dig it out!! Itโ€™s a great kit. A sea hurricane to. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ oh mannnnnnn.ย 

39 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Great result on the paint work, sheโ€™s looking brilliantย 

ย 

Rob

Thanks Rob. ๐Ÿ˜‡

• Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 7:04 PM, Nickthebrief said:

Cheers,

Nick.

A sea Hurricane !! That's a great idea !!

Great work on your Hurricane Spad !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hey guys. Not planning on much tonight but the weekend looks likely.

I did indeed remove the masks.

48880823508_2208bf6ef2_b.jpg

With some slight errors that you can see. ๐Ÿ™ƒ I should have seen that coming. ๐Ÿคจ

ย no worries. a bit of hairy stick work put paid to that.ย 

48881538637_4d3b2472e2_b.jpg

And a slightly different angle. ๐Ÿคช

48880822088_9ef139def7_b.jpg

Before I do owt Iโ€™d like to see if this looks right.ย 
I did measurements based on @Troy Smithย โ€˜s post and pics he supplied and pics from the net.

Gloss coated so excuse the excessive shine.

top roundels.

48881351421_deffbb3870_b.jpg

bottom roundels

48881538662_f29f07eb75_b.jpg

Iโ€™m looking at you @Troy Smithย ๐Ÿง look about right?

ย 

Thanks for your help on this by the way. ๐Ÿ˜ more when I get the all clear. ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿฅณ

Johnny Friday.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Before I do owt Iโ€™d like to see if this looks right.ย 
I did measurements based on @Troy Smithย โ€˜s post and pics he supplied and pics from the net.

Gloss coated so excuse the excessive shine.

top roundels.

48881351421_deffbb3870_b.jpg

bottom roundels

48881538662_f29f07eb75_b.jpg

Iโ€™m looking at you @Troy Smithย ๐Ÿง look about right?

ย 

Thanks for your help on this by the way. ๐Ÿ˜ more when I get the all clear. ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿฅณ

Johnny Friday.

Johhny

justย  to confirm, you are doing P2798, LK-A ?

ย 

The upperwings were factory, so the placement was as specified, and visible here

60a836afc4a0cd6395f6a88bb4b409c3--hawker

ย 

the underwing in 1940 vary depending on when.ย 

in Aug 1940 they started being factory applied.

ย 

as built , or when built, they were not specified, Hurricanes operating in and over France had them,ย  and as they were field applied, they varied.

ย 

P2798,ย  was a reasonable early Gloster builtย Mk.I, and would have had black and white underwing, no roundels.

then France, roundels added

June 1940, Sky undersides ordered. roundels over paint.ย  IN Aug 1940 the roundels were re ordered.ย  All the detail this is are the Ducimus guide

HERE

ย https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

ย 

This photos was taken after the reintroduction of underwing roundels in Aug 1940

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

These are field applied, and as you can see,ย  further out, much nearer the tipย and smaller than the specified size.

ย 

if you look at this,ย  lower right, under the underwing, there are 4 roundels. 30", 35", 40" and 50",ย  all were used on the underside.ย  ย I'll dig a aplan and ruler out later,ย  but I'd see if a 40 inch fits.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

ย 

ย 

ย 

Does this make sense?ย 

ย 

If you don't want tghe faff of masking or getting new decals, see how far outboard you can get on the wing,ย  using the photo as reference to the front edge.

The Airfix wing tips are too short BTW, (as the the ones in the Ducimus drawing BTW) so as the wing tip angles up slightly this is illuminated in the photo,ย  so bear this in mind when having an eyeball, I'd old the model up at the same angle, and aim the a match on the leading edge, if that makes sense?

ย 

and...

this shot in later nightfighter guise shows the non standard underwing were retained

Gleed%2520Hurri%2520nightfghter_zpskyhb6

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Johhny

justย  to confirm, you are doing P2798, LK-A ?

ย 

The upperwings were factory, so the placement was as specified, and visible here

60a836afc4a0cd6395f6a88bb4b409c3--hawker

ย 

the underwing in 1940 vary depending on when.ย 

in Aug 1940 they started being factory applied.

ย 

as built , or when built, they were not specified, Hurricanes operating in and over France had them,ย  and as they were field applied, they varied.

ย 

P2798,ย  was a reasonable early Gloster builtย Mk.I, and would have had black and white underwing, no roundels.

then France, roundels added

June 1940, Sky undersides ordered. roundels over paint.ย  IN Aug 1940 the roundels were re ordered.ย  All the detail this is are the Ducimus guide

HERE

ย https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

ย 

This photos was taken after the reintroduction of underwing roundels in Aug 1940

These are field applied, and as you can see,ย  further out, much nearer the tipย and smaller than the specified size.

ย 

if you look at this,ย  lower right, under the underwing, there are 4 roundels. 30", 35", 40" and 50",ย  all were used on the underside.ย  ย I'll dig a aplan and ruler out later,ย  but I'd see if a 40 inch fits.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

ย 

ย 

ย 

Does this make sense?ย 

ย 

If you don't want tghe faff of masking or getting new decals, see how far outboard you can get on the wing,ย  using the photo as reference to the front edge.

The Airfix wing tips are too short BTW, (as the the ones in the Ducimus drawing BTW) so as the wing tip angles up slightly this is illuminated in the photo,ย  so bear this in mind when having an eyeball, I'd old the model up at the same angle, and aim the a match on the leading edge, if that makes sense?

ย 

and...

this shot in later nightfighter guise shows the non standard underwing were retained

Gleed%2520Hurri%2520nightfghter_zpskyhb6

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Thanks for the comprehensive and quickย answer. ๐Ÿ˜‡ I did eyeball it and tacked them in place Iโ€™m just checking ( Iโ€™m not changing wings ) and yes Iโ€™m building the one in the box. So in your opinion does my position look ok?

ย 

If youโ€™re not sure thatโ€™s cool, Iโ€™ll angle her up and go with my best guess but I figured you could give me a look over before I commit.

ย All the best kid.

ย 

ย Johnny.

ย 

• Like 1

Oh and do i need to build some kind of oil collector ring? Iโ€™m not too concerned with the nose as Iโ€™mย using it as out of the box. There is just too much crazy going on over what itโ€™s right and I kind of like the look. Just wondered about the oil ring thing. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜

ย 

johnny

• Like 1