Here I am. Rock you like a hurricane (are you ready, baby?) The Airfix Hurricane 1/24

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Select your photo, press the arrow button then in the next page copy URL. Works on iPhone 6 and 7.

HTH

Trevor

I have an iPhone 7 alas no worky. 😩 did you upgrade your iOS?

The text string will paste into the “insert image from URL” tab below but it won’t work from there. But just stayed blank in the main field. 

Edited by The Spadgent

Ok that's a weird one.

Chickens sorted and boys laptop borrowed. the cut and paste seems to work on PC but still not on my phone so I'll post from here. :)

First up the hurri gets set up in my expensive painting booth. ( a wellie box on a stool :) ) 

48773732468_7f03922610_b.jpg

I have sanded the gun bay covers and gators gripped them in place ( only a little blob ) so I can pop them off later on.

first blast of primer on.

48774075041_4e177d8e40_b.jpg

All looking good. :)

after drying the top half got some action.

48773678763_2b15b7dc26_b.jpg

that was left to dry.

48773678618_5a8ab56a77_b.jpg

Here she is ready to pre shade.

I will pre shade the main lines in black then hit the lesser marks in blue grey for the underside and matching colours on the top.

48774270042_0f41d390e4_b.jpg

First pass on the underside done. :)

48773676928_c089fc65a1_b.jpg

The top looks good too. I'm currently thinking about the top colours. I was going to do green brown, you know green and brown right. :D

Then I got to thinking Blue and green. Is that a Sea Hurricane? Is there any difference? I'm guessing there is. If not I might go green and blue as that looks kinda sexy. :)

any way while I wait for someone to say "Don't be so daft" I did the blue grey on the secondary parts..

48773678698_978b70d40c_b.jpg

squiggles and lines done I loaded up the brush with Sky.

48774022551_7420c721b1_b.jpg

Here's one side with a first pass.

Lot's of light passes wins the game here.

first total pass done.

48774075001_56022d7222_b.jpg

I let that dry then hit it again.

48774021876_2babb3e227_b.jpg

this is two more passes on just before I did a lighter pass with a mixture of sky and white.

48773678623_2ca88852bd_b.jpg

and by the window. :)

48774269782_c318d3acd5_b.jpg

I'm happy with that. I have given her a blast of clear after drying. I need to glue on the rear flaps and mask up for the top colours.

luckily I found these. :)

48774074926_c389b676dc_b.jpg

Still though they are sold out everywhere. :(

I also need some TS 13. I hate not having a LMS :(

I also hate my phone not working to post.  Fingers crossed It'll get sorted.

Any hoo. I'm off to start dinner. Hope you're all having a jolly weekend. Catch y'all later on.

Johnny.

• Like 13

Hi Jonny Painter,

As someone suggested earlier, I've been using IPA to thin all acrylics (Vallejo, Tamiya, AK, etc) without any issues for several years. It's a damn sight cheaper than "own brand" stuff. 

If you can, get a little travel size plastic bottle for dispensing into the paint.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

a wellie box....

One has to ask. Were they green?

The underside is looking great by the way.

I would say I wish I could paint like that but since I simply can't be bothered to pre shade it's not likely happen!

Ian

• Thanks 1

🎶'The shady painter

From Shady Lane...' 🎶

-does it again. Handsome me bucko. :clap2:

As to thinners, I've used this guy's  homebrew recipe for everything I've painted with Tamiya acrylics in the last couple of years and the flow is lovely.

https://youtu.be/T8k3BJC80IQ

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Hi Jonny Painter,

As someone suggested earlier, I've been using IPA to thin all acrylics (Vallejo, Tamiya, AK, etc) without any issues for several years. It's a damn sight cheaper than "own brand" stuff. 

If you can, get a little travel size plastic bottle for dispensing into the paint.

Internet bound. 👌

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Top job with the pre-shading and the sky coat, Johnny Painter! :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G

53 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

One has to ask. Were they green?

The underside is looking great by the way.

I would say I wish I could paint like that but since I simply can't be bothered to pre shade it's not likely happen!

Ian

Of course they were green. 🙌

you should give pe shade a go it’s dead easy. I know some dont like the effect but I for one love it. ❤️

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

🎶'The shady painter

From Shady Lane...' 🎶

-does it again. Handsome me bucko. :clap2:

As to thinners, I've used this guy's  homebrew recipe for everything I've painted with Tamiya acrylics in the last couple of years and the flow is lovely.

https://youtu.be/T8k3BJC80IQ

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌 Thank you sir. Currently listening to Ennio Morricone on radio 6. I’m headed to the Internet with a poncho as we speak. ❤️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What Flickr problem? I use it but haven't had any issues.....

Ian

I updated my iPhone iOS a day or two ago and since then I can’t cut and paste into Britmodeller. Not a Flickr problem a Britmodeller problem. I can cut and paste on other sites just not this one. 😔

• Confused 1

oh my goddddd.

just found what the problem

is. Apple have just added three finger cut and paste. Slide three fingers together to copy and expand thee finders to paste. This works if I copy from Flickr then expand the fingers rather than clicking and pressing the paste button. Oh man I have to see if I can turn that off. 😩😩

Edit.

Apparently you can’t turn it off. 😔Seems like the three finger cut and paste gesture that was added in iOS 13 is playing havoc with the BM structure. You can get around it by actually swimming with thee fingers to paste. Bit of a pain but it’ll do until it gets fixed. 🤞🥳

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Apple have just added three finger cut and paste. Slide three fingers together to copy and expand thee finders to paste.

The good news is that we’re able to use more fingers with the phone now! 😉 And absolutely positive thing is that we’re able to connect with each other via these gadgets.

The Hurricane looks absolutely fantastic with the belly painted! 👍

P.S. In my experience, the Flickr has some issues from time to time, too - especially with a copying the BBCode on an iPad and iPhone.

• Thanks 1

Updates and upgrades..... Don't you just love 'em?!?!! 

What ever happened to "Keep it SIMPLE, Stupid!"...? 

Three finger cut and paste...... What even IS that? 

And how did you work it out? 

That on it's own makes you a Legend, Johnny, never mind the modelling 

🤟👀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The good news is that we’re able to use more fingers with the phone now! 😉 And absolutely positive thing is that we’re able to connect with each other via these gadgets.

The Hurricane looks absolutely fantastic with the belly painted! 👍

P.S. In my experience, the Flickr has some issues from time to time, too - especially with a copying the BBCode on an iPad and iPhone.

Thanks! Yes technology is indeed a good thing. 😍

On 9/23/2019 at 12:15 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Updates and upgrades..... Don't you just love 'em?!?!! 

What ever happened to "Keep it SIMPLE, Stupid!"...? 

Three finger cut and paste...... What even IS that? 

And how did you work it out? 

That on it's own makes you a Legend, Johnny, never mind the modelling 

🤟👀

Ha. Thanks Rob. The cut and paste three finger gesture was added to iOS 13 to make thinks easier. You can still use the old way though. Alas a bug stopped this. It’s all fixed now with the new update. i deal with bugs like this every day at work. 🐜🕷🦗🦟

On 9/23/2019 at 1:09 AM, CedB said:

Nice Sky Johnny - do it green and brown, you know you want to! :) 

IOS 13? Still getting the hang of it here…

Thanks mr B. Green and brown you say. Ok then. 🦖🐡

On 9/23/2019 at 7:45 AM, limeypilot said:

aah, ok. I don't have an iPhone and only post from my laptop. That would explain why I don't have any issues.

Ian

Yarp.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:15 AM, Johnny Tip said:

Stunning belly, Johnny! (er- you know what I mean)  Just can't get enough of green&brown, I totally agree with CedB!

🦖🦖🐡🐡👌

On 9/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, phildagreek said:

I had probs with Flickr all day yesterday, gave up in the end. It seems to be back up to speed today.

👍

On 9/24/2019 at 11:19 PM, Dansk said:

Amazing work Johnny, brilliant. Your weathering is second to none. 

I’d love to see you make a tank or some seriously weathered armour next!

Thanks. I have done a tank. A really muddy one. Which reminds me I need to RFI it and my Ford Torino too.

As for the hurri. No progress alas. Fingers crossed for some weekend action. 🤞

• Like 2

You mention in a Spitfire thread about roundel postions.

see

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

note the factory drawing with dimension as to where the camo lines are...

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

there are measurements as to where the roundels are placed

the correct wing roundels, (the underwing is subject to variability, if you read the link and look at the drawings it will explain,  but the factory applied ones aren't) 

Note,  I keep posting this, as it's 'lost' but there is a formula,

upperwing roundels (and underwing)  are have their centres are 1/3 of wing span (from centreline)  in from tip 

Hurricane 40 span. = 480 inch, /2 = 240 inch, /3 = 80 inch.   

Note measurement at top left of wing to roundel centre. 80 inch.

What scheme are you doing?  If it's LK-A,. there are good photos of both sides.  

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2