Here I am. Rock you like a hurricane (are you ready, baby?) The Airfix Hurricane 1/24

Spadgent--echoing @giemme--fabulous weathering--I have to say in catching up with this thread that the "tea pig" idea for the radiator is shear genius!  I will be inline with @f111guru and use this idea on a future build!  Hope you are having a great holiday with the family... best, Erwin

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:31 PM, JosephLalor said:

Had to look that up I'm afraid.  I've managed to see all of three Blackadder episodes in my entire life, clearly not those ones!

Righteous work on the Hurricane.  I've this kit myself, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Ha yes it’s a bit of a thing these days 🤣🤫👃🙌 and thanks. It’s a great kit that looks like it will go together quickly but beware of additions they do take heaps of time.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, corsaircorp said:

Enjoy, we take care of the thread !! :crap:

Have a great time with the kids !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. 👌🤗

On 8/30/2019 at 10:09 PM, bbudde said:

You wanted to get this one here.

Cheers

Yup that’s the one. 👌🙌

On 8/30/2019 at 11:57 PM, Johnny Tip said:

As long as those three weren't all from the first series... I'd go with Beer, Duel and Duality and Corporal Punishment. Baa!us. 

As always, the Hurricane coming into existence looks wizard prang!

I do love all the bladders. The first was an odd ball but Brian Blessed made them unique.🥳 and Thanks. 😀

On 8/31/2019 at 7:59 AM, CedB said:

Hope you're having a good time Johnny - looking forward to more great work when you're back :) 

Yes we had a great time away. The kids are all settled into their schools now so I can get on with the hurri. 👌

On 8/31/2019 at 8:25 AM, P.1127 said:

Ditto. An enjoyable thread so far, very tidy and very nostalgic.

Jack

Thank you sir. 🌈

On 8/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, limeypilot said:

Enjoy your hols, see you when you return!

Ian

Thanks Ian. 🙌

On 9/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Spadgent--echoing @giemme--fabulous weathering--I have to say in catching up with this thread that the "tea pig" idea for the radiator is shear genius!  I will be inline with @f111guru and use this idea on a future build!  Hope you are having a great holiday with the family... best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin. I have them fitted now and they really look the part. I need to get some more. 😇

• Like 2

Hey guys. I hope you’re having a splendid weekend. 😀

Back from camping now and with the kids all settled into school I did manage some Hurri action. I’m planning a blast at it today so fingers crossed. 🤗

Here’s what went on however.

The UC bay got glued in place using my new found glue love. Rocket hot. ❤️

48697701061_2c3a5c9d15_b.jpg

I won’t use it all the time but for stuff like this it’s amazingly sticky. The little UC wheel bays on the bottom also got painted and floried too. 👌

At this point in the build I have many disparate parts that are waiting to come together. I hate this point in a kit but it’s just the way it is I guess. I can’t add the intake and paint afterwards so I have to paint this section now.

pre-shade then.

48697697731_8048ecf564_b.jpg

and with the intake.

48697873552_b25900708d_b.jpg

The actual filters got painted black too. The tea pig took the paint well.

48697660606_388b092179_b.jpg

you can just pick out the detail but I’ll make that pop later with Tamiya weathering pigments.🙌

With gay abandon I sprayed sky onto this section of the Hurri. 🌈😀

48697697061_5d82d43f01_b.jpg

and this bit too.

48697873542_83c6fd009a_b.jpg

there choice made. 😄

Now a word of warning all The Who pass here. 🐉🐲This kit and it’s instructions aaaand Gerald Scarborough for that matter, none of them mention that dirty great exclamation mark hole. What do you mean “what hole”....

48697320618_2c1c4156ef_b.jpg

that one there. 🤣 I have searched the net and seen finished versions of this with and without it. There is also a chunk the instructions will have you glued to the intake the square it off, also with holes.

This is where I began a wondering. My kit, ( a newer boxing ) has no big black airfixy type stand included. I have an older FW 1/24 and that indeed has a stand. Looking in Gerries book it seems that there is a version pictured with the stand placed at the point where my dirty great holes are. 💡

Mmmmmmm Filler time.🍺

Even though you can’t tell this has been filled and floried.

48697321513_826fbd65d6_b.jpg

While this dried I got on with weathering the intakes.

48697661281_bd4d2cb3a7_b.jpg

By the time these were done the Flory came off. 

48697360953_d935e9a20d_b.jpg

the black actuator legs got added also.

then the intake got constructed.

48697320863_476fc992f7_b.jpg

front and back.

48697700616_b328231cfc_b.jpg

I’m super happy with that. 🙌

This all then got glued.

48697700876_af3107d43b_b.jpg

looking good. The only problem is that that gappage. 🙃

48697700951_3e77566b56_b.jpg

🥴🥴🥴 nothing for it but pegs. I really need to get some of those larger ratchet clamps. @CedB I’m sure you could suggest some good ones?

but until then there’s this.

48697357138_e67ac85298_b.jpg

all aboard the good ship double peg with a Burna clip chaser. 🤣 note the auxiliary wooden peg to add height. Honestly this was a pain to clamp. The PPP you can see around the UC box is to fix the join between the wing and the actual UC section. The messy won’t be seen when buttoned up.💪

48697356388_9bb372486b_b.jpg

Tamiya extra thin and rocket hot should win this tough cookie over.

This is where I left it before heading out to the City for drinks with my Brother and some friends.

48697874357_423230e241_b.jpg

Thanks for popping in. I hope this will be useful to anyone who attempts this kit.

next episode “Legs and pegs” 😇💪🙌

Happy Modelling chums.

Johnny. 

• Like 21

Beautiful work as always Johnny :) 

15 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I really need to get some of those larger ratchet clamps. @CedB I’m sure you could suggest some good ones?

I have these:

48698087997_207724d0a4_z.jpg

Reversible jaws and BM-standard anti-slip BluTak :) Nice control too, although I'm not sure they'd reach that intake. I got my pair here

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice job and an inspiring one for sure !!

Congrats my dear Spad !!

I hope that we can meet at SMW this year !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Is that the Telford show? I have never been alas.

If I do go we can meet up for sure. 🤗

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Beautiful work as always Johnny :) 

I have these:

48698087997_207724d0a4_z.jpg

Reversible jaws and BM-standard anti-slip BluTak :) Nice control too, although I'm not sure they'd reach that intake. I got my pair here

Thanks Ced they look great but you’re right I think I need something deeper. I’ll look into it. 😀

• Like 2

Yup my Dear Spad !!

SMW for Scale Model World at Telford..

I'll try to make it on a regular basis, every 2 years...

Bringing on the BB consulate with me :penguin:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

On 08/09/2019 at 10:11, The Spadgent said:

... love all the bladders. The first was an odd ball but Brian Blessed made them unique.🥳... 

That is so! CHISWICK, FRESH HORSES! (or was it GORDON'S ALIVE? 😂

Small steps, but giant leaps to the finish line. And the parts look oh so well-built. 

• Thanks 1

Just caught up again and really like the excellent work going on here. A small thing to note is that the raised rectangles next to the riveted panels in the wheel wells are actually windows that allow the pilot to see, from the cockpit, the position of the undercarriage. Perhaps a dash of gloss black might be fitting.

Keep up the great work!

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, giemme said:

Excellent progress, Johnny :clap:

This is really coming together now :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G

On 9/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, Fritag said:

Excellent work Johnny.

You use pre and post shading superbly.  Whilst deceptively   making it looks easy enough for mere mortals to use........

It is quite easy. But thank you regardless.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice there Johnny.

As for clamps, a look around Wilko`s or similar may help.

The slot and hole in the cooler, yep stand plus wires from the electric motor.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I still need clamps. 🥳

On 9/8/2019 at 6:22 PM, corsaircorp said:

Yup my Dear Spad !!

SMW for Scale Model World at Telford..

I'll try to make it on a regular basis, every 2 years...

Bringing on the BB consulate with me :penguin:

Sincerely.

CC

Oooh I was in Telford today. I might try and pop along and say hi to everyone. 🥳

On 9/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress on the Hurricane, Johnny! The primer-made rivets looks absolutely fantastic! 👏 And yes... You’re working fast! 😉

Thanks kid.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Tip said:

That is so! CHISWICK, FRESH HORSES! (or was it GORDON'S ALIVE? 😂

Small steps, but giant leaps to the finish line. And the parts look oh so well-built. 

Thank you. More Gordon’s ALIVE!!!!🤣

On 9/11/2019 at 4:24 PM, Crimea River said:

Just caught up again and really like the excellent work going on here. A small thing to note is that the raised rectangles next to the riveted panels in the wheel wells are actually windows that allow the pilot to see, from the cockpit, the position of the undercarriage. Perhaps a dash of gloss black might be fitting.

Keep up the great work!

Andy

Thanks. I did know about the windows but apparently on some Mk 1s the widows were covered over with metal panels of the same shape so I took that approach. 😇

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey you lot. A whole week with nothing plastic. What a to do? Sorry work has been a busy time and I had a Fencing comp today that has been playing in my mind for a while.🤺

Some bits and bobs got done in spats over the week. The mid light on the underside had a massive bulls eye in it so out with the micro mesh.

48732034456_66a78499c4_b.jpg

above before below after. 😇

48732216472_5a8b5ee320_b.jpg

any ideas what colour that is meant to be by the way?  🤔

the actuators and doors got added to the oil cooler thing. (I might regret that) 

48732216162_0124a849f9_b.jpg

I need to get this thing together now so wings.

48732033966_d422a414b5_b.jpg

cleaned up primed and sprayed. Just the innards.  I added a top coat and Floried.

48732034081_d8c9d8f5b4_b.jpg

Before rub off and dry fit.

48732034041_24ab67dd1e_b.jpg

looks good.  This needed some extra weight to push everything down, I said I needed clamps. 🤣

48731708568_20806c6a79_b.jpg

I used My new love (Rocket glue) to hold the gun bays in place.

now I’ve been thinking about gluing the cowl together so when painted I can pop it on like my Messerschmitt one. It won’t be a great fit but without it the panels are such a bad fit without glue they will have to sit on the floor. Here’s what I mean.

48732216172_1f2844f633_b.jpg

not bad really so I can display on or off and here it is in one dry fitted piece.

48732034011_61240d45b3_b.jpg

thoughts? I’m not sure how I feel so I figured I’d throw it out there. 💪

One quick job that got done on the run up to paint was the cockpit masking.

48732216317_989efcda65_b.jpg

oooh it’s getting closer. I’m thinking of getting some of @CedB‘s squadron putty for the camo. Mig and ak both do a good one but the AK one is about a third of the price. What’s the difference? I know you get what you pay for but still. 🤔

Here’s a shot of me Milo took today at the Shropshire open. 🤺 Defeated but happy.

48732033301_5db73d953a_b.jpg

I’m aching quite a bit now but I did manage to glue on one big wing. 💪💪🙌 

48732034141_c7f3ba3aef_b.jpg 48731708803_5d4a462f9b_b.jpg

I’m hoping to get some time in tomorrow morning but until then I’ll have a nose around and see what you lot have been up to over the past seven days. 👌

Thanks for tagging along those that are. Paint soon I promise. 

Johnny. 🌪

• Like 11

Great job on the wing, Johnny Fence :clap: :worthy: 

As for the cowling, it's a tough choice; I wouldn't risk to do any job that would put in danger all that beautiful surface detail, though ...

So maybe sitting in place waiting to be properly fit by the crew, or just laying on the ground for maintenance ... :)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m thinking of getting some of @CedB‘s squadron putty for the camo. Mig and ak both do a good one but the AK one is about a third of the price. What’s the difference? I know you get what you pay for but still. 🤔

My stuff is MXpression Panzer Putty and I can vouch for that. This thread mentions science putty too that comes in smaller tins?

I’d be wary of cheaper options in case they don’t work / leave a residue and you end up buying the Panzer anyway. 

This video might help you decide:

• Thanks 1

Look like a Fency Hurricane !!

Well done Spad !!

And Congrats for your happyness !! The kind of comments that I appreciate greatly !!

Hope to see you in Telford !! 

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that is very nice indeed!

(Dammit! wanted to insert image of the Fast Show jazz man but failed......)

This is one classic build mister!

As always, a fascinating thread from you

All the best

Geoff

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job on the wing, Johnny Fence :clap: :worthy: 

As for the cowling, it's a tough choice; I wouldn't risk to do any job that would put in danger all that beautiful surface detail, though ...

So maybe sitting in place waiting to be properly fit by the crew, or just laying on the ground for maintenance ... :)

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Decision made. 👌

15 hours ago, CedB said:

My stuff is MXpression Panzer Putty and I can vouch for that. This thread mentions science putty too that comes in smaller tins?

I’d be wary of cheaper options in case they don’t work / leave a residue and you end up buying the Panzer anyway. 

This video might help you decide:

Thanks Ced. I’ll check that video out later. I might just use blue tac. I’ll need a lot. 🤪

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looks very swell there Johnny.

Simon.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Look like a Fency Hurricane !!

Well done Spad !!

And Congrats for your happyness !! The kind of comments that I appreciate greatly !!

Hope to see you in Telford !! 

CC

Thanks CC. You’re a star. 💫

14 hours ago, James G said:

Great work. The finished article will be awesome!

Thankyou sir.

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Stop showing us your gun bay. I'll never get anywhere near as good a look as that! 

Beautiful pigment work all round Johnny - a joy to behold and to aspire to oneself.

Sorry Tony. They will be covered up while spraying. Actually you just reminded me about the wing panels too. 🙌

3 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Well that is very nice indeed!

(Dammit! wanted to insert image of the Fast Show jazz man but failed......)

This is one classic build mister!

As always, a fascinating thread from you

All the best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Too kind. 😇

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning e everyone. Early start means Hurricane action.

48736100692_011581a039_b.jpg

other wing on. 🙌

I’d also totally forgotten to put the piece of Merlin engine that I got in Cornwall.

48735602708_8857acc155_b.jpg

So in it goes. ❤️

48735913466_328418f30d_b.jpg

I have been playing around with the idea of adding back the weld lines on the exhausts. Seems backwards to add seam lines but there you are. 🤪

mr S added.

48735919071_5b6f412b24_b.jpg

I did this to all the exhausts then took this picture and rubbed them all off as they looked too clumsy and thick. I thinned down my Mr S as it’s getting a bit gloopy and painted on thinner weld lines.

48735911596_0f4c0c178a_b.jpg

you can only just see them but that’s what I’m going for. Also it looks like that light is red. 

48735913871_a68b3a0970_b.jpg

Decided to now do a dry fit of the main fuselage.

48735913381_5b52cf34a6_b.jpg

????? That was easy. What? It just fits? Sorcery I tells ya. 🧙‍♂️

Not without problems however. Let’s see if you can spot the blue. 

48736095437_8a5e6bf506_b.jpg

dang!!! That’ll have to be painted.🤪

Any way back to the positives. Not too much of a gappage on the top.

48735592018_08d970b254_b.jpg

Or tother side at the front.

48735592363_1b02c3afde_b.jpg

or rear.

48736095492_e7d971a677_b.jpg

Nothing that can’t be easily fixed. Right Zero? Zero. 🙄

48735592833_6832ddcb1c_b.jpg

oh well 🤣

I sanded and shaved the tail planes to fit them in place. They looked pretty happy but with careful sanding and TET squidgyness all was good.

48735585623_94a3211422_b.jpg

Oh hell I’ve knocked off that little aerial   on the tail. Must remember to add that back. So Lego jig then.

48735585833_4953fd4ff8_b.jpg

looking good from ze angles.

48736101927_9ef24e4155_b.jpg

Thanks to @giemme I have decided to have the panels off and on the floor for good. I’ll tidy them up and paint separately. 

48736095417_6bb8995886_b.jpg

sanding has been done but does anyone know if these panels are smaller than these bits and split on the panel lines?

and I Thing this bit needs to be cut off.

48735919701_e04c97104e_b.jpg

in fact I’m sure of it but I thought I’d throw it out there.

Also I’m thinking about sanding this brake line off and adding wire. But is it worth it?

any way I’m headed for breakfast. Hope you’re all having a splendid Sunday morning. Thanks for dropping in on the madness.

Take care and as always Happy Modelling.

Johnny

• Like 14