Miggy's Wild Tiger

Mig Eater

For my contribution to the GB I'm building Trumpeter's 1/35 Tiger I late with zimmerit, it will feature a battle damaged surface that shows a wild black & orange tiger stripe pattern underneath the normal camouflage.

wtig_00.jpg 

I chose to use Trumpeter's new Tiger I kit as it comes with optional zimmerit in the form of thin textured plastic card that can be easily cut & modified which will help to add depth to the planed paint job.  

raikisan_180302_5a99ad9fc52a3-800x533.jp

The idea for this build originally came about after I received a set of Tiger46 paint masks from Solid Scale & though what better tank to use them on then a Tiger 😛 Simply painting the entire tank in tiger stripes feels a bit over the top though, so Instead I'll be using them to paint parts of the tank in tiger stripes & the rest in the standard German camo, in a similar manner to NATO Tiger meet aircraft.

image.png TornadoECR_4644.jpg

At first I couldn't decide what model to build for this GB so I asked for the groups opinion on the choices I had available, click on the spoiler to see them.

Spoiler

Not long to go before the GB starts but I still cant make up my mind on what to build, so inspired by Badgers thread I thought I'd list my options & see what everyone thinks?

So in the stash:

1. Hobby Boss VK 30.01 (P) - The prototype for this tank was never fitted with a turret, a dummy weight was used during testing instead. The kit comes with an early Tiger I turret thought, which might have been used if the VK 30.01 was put into production. For my build I'm planning to instead design & 3D print an early concept turret that was proposed for the VK 30.01 but never built.

1161986-27767-21-pristine.jpg s1_vk3001p_1.jpg

2. Trumpeter Tiger I late - Planning to go wild with this build & have the surface pealing/ripped off half of the body to reveal black & orange tiger stripes underneath. (leopard print jeans but just to give the idea etc)1111237-15176-52-720.jpg ef9363e67ee9a478fa5ac6ea7935a205.jpg
  3. Hobby Boss Tiger II (July 45 production) - This build would be OOB.

1119532-31861-23-720.jpg

4. Dragon Jagdtiger - Planning to design & 3D print an experimental GT101 turbine engine for this build. A single Jagdtiger was requisitioned in the closing stages of the war to test the prototype of the new engine but no photographic evidence exists to prove that it was completed.   

972333-10244-31-pristine.jpg rocket-powered.jpg

5. Trumpeter E-75 - This build would be pretty much OOB, just new tracks & barrel.

121120-10518-pristine.jpg

6. Dragon E-100 - The E-100 was based on an earlier design know as the Tiger-Maus, I'm planning to backdate this kit with new 3D printed parts to match the originally proposed Tiger-Maus design.

106329-10244-pristine.jpgtiger-maus.jpg

I'm still currently working on my scratch build T92 HMC for the Pershing & Patton GB, I expect to be busy with that for some time & so wont be able to join this GB at the start. Depending on how long it takes there might not be enough time left in this GB to design & 3D print the parts needed for some of these builds, so I'd be forced to go with either of the simpler OOB options.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

Hi

Glad I could inspire you - I just have too much cool stuff I want to build!

Has to be number 2 for me - bonkers but brilliant!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

If you're going to get whiffy, you have to go all out or go home. One of your ideas is a common theme in Tiger squadron special schemes and also tattoos ans since I'm a fan of both and it's utterly OTT, number 2 picks itself :) 

Andy

Good to see you here with another fascinating set of ideas. My main concern is your time. If you are going to finish your project in the Patton STGB it's not going to leave you much time to finish anything too complex here. My vote, therefore, is going to be for number 5. I realise this one probably isn’t going to exciting enough but it's still a great looking AFV!

Kind regards,

Stix

I've made good progress this week with the 3D modelling for my T92 & hope to be finished this weekend. It's then going to take awhile to print everything though, so I could make a start on my project for this GB while I'm waiting for the parts to print. As for what I'll make, I think I'll try No.2 the Wild Tiger I.

Shall I just rename this topic & continue with my build here or start a completely new thread?

• Like 2

So while I was waiting for my 3D printer to make some parts for my other build I thought I'd make a start on my wild Tiger I. I've finished the major construction of the hull & turret, which went by so fast I didn't even have time to take any in-progress photos :P

The only real complaint with the build was the upper front hull being a bit fiddly & required clamping to get it to fit, but other then that the kit practically fell together. I also only want to use a few tools on this build because of the unique paint job, but I'm unsure of which ones. So for now I filled in the location holes for all the tools on the hull, I'll pick which ones I want to use after the main painting is done. The exhausts have also been left off, as that will be painted separately & added later. All that is left now is the wheels & tracks, then I can start the first phase of painting. My 3D printer is done now though so I'm going back to my other build but I'll return to this build when I need to print the next lot parts. 

wtig_01.jpg

As mentioned above in the first post, the zimmerit in Trumpeter's kit is an optional part in the form of thin textured plastic card, I've roughly cut out some holes around the edges to add some ware & tear that would often happen to the zimmerit. BTW I haven't added zimmerit to the side of the hull or turret yet, it will be cut up even more then the front parts & added after after the first phase of painting.

wtig_02.jpg

I've replaced all the handles on the turret & engine deck with metal wire. The tiny ones on the spare track holders were challenging, I'm going to have to be really careful with them when adding the paint masks later.

wtig_03.jpg

• Like 4

Smashing work Mig.

A question from someone whose fingers don't work properly sometimes - those tiny handles on the spare track retainers - did you 'drill' holes in the brackets, melt them in, or what? I fancy the challenge !

Rearguards,

Badder

They are just CA glued to the plastic, there were some small indents in the retainers for the original plastic handles though that helped me position them. In hindsight drilling holes in the indents would have been a better more secure option, if any break off later I'll probably do that.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on adding the last few bits that I missed as I skipped through the instructions, such as the front light & the power corded, which I replaced with some metal wire.
wtig_04.jpg

The exhaust cover looked too thick so I made a new thinner one out of metal, it also gives the advantage of being able to bent & dent it to replicate the damage often seen on these covers. I'm only going to add one of them BTW, didn't want my tiger to have two tails 😛 

wtig_05.jpg

It was made out of a simple drinks can, just cut off the top & bottom off & flattened it out. You'll then have a thin metal sheet that can be used to scratch build all sorts of different things. I plan to replace the plastic side skirts with scratch built metal ones too etc.

wtig_06.jpg

I've also prepared all the wheels & sprockets, so next step is to give everything it a coat of primer.

wtig_07.jpg

• Like 6