Grumman Avenger AS4

I wanted to join but time is short, and I'm still manfully working my way through a pair of challenging TT builds in the trainers QGB, a Pavla Martinet and a fairly elderly Special Hobby Vengeance. We're also away for 10 days for a family wedding so my bench time is limited in the coming weeks. So if permissible this Fleet Air Arm sub hunter and killer from Hasegawa should be a relatively straightforward and trouble free build compared to my recent builds. And is all in one colour. 

resized_4f2051e5-e64d-4eff-ba8a-8215bee4

Five nicely moulded grey sprues, not extensively detailed but not at all bad. 

resized_cc3a3feb-0351-48c9-a3c2-f7b5e524

And one small mall sprue with the radar on it. I've so got a masking set in the stash from Eduard. 

resized_0953acf0-4240-440a-bbf6-483015c8

All the glazing on a single, quite large sprue. And a white metal arrestor hook. Good idea as shouldn't break when handled. 

resized_720613bb-07a8-477b-a08d-4f1fc97a

Typical Hasegawa instructions, simple breakdown of parts, logical build sequence and no obvious pitfalls. Hopefully the fit will be exemplary. 

resized_3a301c01-9671-4812-b77e-96f36e8d

with options for one Suez aircraft from HMS Bulwark.

resized_8e1c86b1-2a6d-4cc2-8203-9aee6db8

The transfers have yellowed so they'll have to go on the front window sill for a few weeks. If they don't bleach out the actual markings not the Musketeer stripes are pretty straightforward and I should be able to sort something out

resized_38abdb7a-a94d-4a55-adad-3e8371ee

Now to get some paint on. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

Good choice regarding the Eduard masks. That greenhouse could be quite the task otherwise!

Definitely. It's not so much the greenhouse, that's doable but tedious. However the turret would be an absolute nightmare. I have an Airfix Avenger in TSS sitting stalled as I am procrastinating on the turret masking. 

Anyway, I've now got some paint on the interior and details.

6c01e089-0759-48a5-b5b8-4a84fafb6a99.JPG

The detail level is fine, I could probably go to town on the interior but this is going to be OOB so I'll add seatbelts and that'll be about it. 

resized_21e9fe5f-0150-4174-b361-87504ad3

• Like 3

welcome along and great to see another Avenger in the build. 

I like the scheme, something a little bit different to what you normally see them in.

Good luck with the build, hopefully you can get a bit done before the wedding.

39 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along and great to see another Avenger in the build. 

I like the scheme, something a little bit different to what you normally see them in.

Good luck with the build, hopefully you can get a bit done before the wedding.

Thanks Rich, I'm hopeful of getting the insides done and wings and fuselage together. It's going to take a few coats to paint anyway, and the canopies, despite having the mask, will take time. Also the transfers need a bit of time to bleach out. I've effectively finished the pre-assembly painting. It does make a big difference when the airframe is only one colour, even when brush painting. 

Nice subject choice and will make for an interesting comparison to NigelC's AEW version also in this GB.

Moving on with this build; I've popped in the fuselage windows, cemented the wing halves together and finished the interior bits. The IP has transfers for the instruments which look good and I've made up some seat belts from Tamiya tape. The transfers need to dry off, and then I can finish off the interior and hopefully close up the fuselage. 

resized_5f3ac7c5-c406-4e46-af69-6011ff08

• Like 3

Lot done over today, interior in, transparencies added, closed up, wings, tailplanes and cowling ring all added. Most we're pretty quick but the wings needed a bit of trimming of the tabs/slots to fit. The fuselage fit wasn't brilliant; for Hasegawa at least, a mere trifle compared to the short run kits I've been doing recently. Some filler and sanding was needed and I'll have to review the wing joint once everything has hardened up. Mind you goodness knows where I'd have been on the turret without the Eduard masking set. 

resized_2917146b-9836-4e85-910a-657ff299

resized_cb646fff-befd-47ee-bca3-571c9938

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed with some of the fit for a Hasegawa kit. The underside left a fairly big gap all the way from the front of the bomb bay to the rear of the tail wheel bay. There were no obvious obstructions and the cockpit/turret parts were fine and pretty high up in the fuselage. This meant as well as more filler (and subsequent sanding), including some fairly inaccessible areas, there was a mismatch and step at the rear of the bomb bay doors. The cowling ring was a poor fit as well, despite the front end of the fuselage going together almost perfectly. 

resized_f55fbff9-f81a-4421-aa90-0e55d9e4

resized_58ad1591-cc21-431d-bf66-3432fc49

However, now ready for some paint. The Eduard masks fitted the rear fuselage windows perfectly. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Mmmm hasegawa can be a wee bit hit & miss with a few of their models! This seems to be one of their misses by the looks of it. But you look to have her all under control, so it'll be nice to see some paint on her.

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Mmmm hasegawa can be a wee bit hit & miss with a few of their models! This seems to be one of their misses by the looks of it. But you look to have her all under control, so it'll be nice to see some paint on her.

Thanks Rich, it's nothing that isn't too difficult to deal with. But a little disappointing for a relatively expensive kit.  It is an older model and has been in my stash for a fair while. According to Scalemates it's a 1995 moulding with new parts in 2005 ( the radar  and perhaps the cockpit), so not that modern but I expected a better fit. Mind you it's not Frogspawn or some of the classic Airfix from the 50/60s. Let's see what it looks like with some paint on. 

Starting to look a lot better after a couple of coats of Xtracrylix Gloss Sea Blue. Another coat should do. The wing tips are lighter as I held it by them alternately. 

resized_839a0d8b-dfa4-4efc-b01f-17c2ef78

• Like 1

Painting almost done. A little touching up on one wing needed. 

resized_7226dec6-2ae1-4698-9b08-26811b4d

I've not put the canopy on yet as it needs masking and I think there's a little detail needed in the rear cockpit. I've looked at a few threads but still pondering what's best. I think a small IP is needed and possibly a radar set, (but no idea where the latter would be.) I know a removable control column should be stowed but I can live without this. I don't know if FAA observers were still using Bigsworth boards in the 50s but if they were these would be taken out of the plane while on the ground and uncrewed.  

I'll be leaving this to the side for a couple of days to get a couple of trainers in the GB finished. 

• Like 4

I've made up some panels in the rear cockpit from plastic card and resin offcuts. Added some paper instruments. 

59cbafbb-20b9-4aea-9f8e-8bcef5482db0.JPG

resized_8470aabb-4360-450c-814f-beccbe1b

• Like 2

Canopy masked (thank goodness for Eduard's masks) and affixed. Lovely join and should not need any fettling or filling. Now leave to dry before painting. 

resized_b291deb6-6046-476e-ab22-8952bf37

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Transparencies painted and masks removed. Although still time consuming the Eduard masks have made an enormous difference and I'm really pleased with the results. 

resized_448b5599-b8b0-4f77-a236-b74abd4d

resized_4d5d894d-b3dc-4e3d-bc28-cbb84abe

Now for the transfers. 

• Like 2

Underwig trnasfers on. I started here as the landing light on one wing gave me an 'anchor' point. Although big they went on reasonably easily with the Microsol solutions. Did need to apply it twice to get rid of some seams. 

resized_32f13d10-da74-41e6-8098-8d4270a7

a little tidying needed but I'll do that after the upper wing and fuselage stripes are done. 

• Like 1

Transfers all nearly on. Not 100% perfect but there are spares so I should be able to patch up. Looking good though, even if I say it myself. 

resized_d10eb6e0-614d-42ce-a7c3-cc9a24d5

resized_56b2e712-ea1c-4d0f-b381-24941cfe

• Like 3

Transfers complete, apart from a little touching up. Undercarriage on and awaiting paint to dry. Prop blades have been painted as have the aerials. Just waiting another coat of white paint on the radar pod. Once affixed we'll be done. 

resized_64231152-046a-402a-a7fe-023e9c35

• Like 1

Almost done, everything attached apart from the radar pod and arrestor hook. A few minutes tomorrow and we'll be there

resized_d5563a78-a9d5-4402-b3fa-89252b29

resized_2c0fe4b0-6ac6-4525-9d1a-07ac95eb

Sorry about picture quality but done on the phone. 

• Like 1