H builds “ An un-expected Sharkmouth” Hot to Trot FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

Decaling has begun and a need to raid the spares box as these starter kits don’t include stencils or warnings :hmmm:

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Looking good buddy. Which warning/stencils are you looking for, I need to check first but I may have some of the more common warnings in a Airfix GR7/9 boxing. Because they are grey, some of the stencils would probably be the wrong colour. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Looking good buddy. Which warning/stencils are you looking for, I need to check first but I may have some of the more common warnings in a Airfix GR7/9 boxing. Because they are grey, some of the stencils would probably be the wrong colour. 

Thanks dude. I have raided the spares box & found most of what I need, funnily enough some I have taken from a GR9, the rest from theHawk from the Trainers GB. The one thing I can’t find is the red boxes on the leading edge of the wing fuse joint. I may attempt to make the from red decal strip, or fudge something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

The one thing I can’t find is the red boxes on the leading edge of the wing fuse joint.

If it's the one's that I am thinking of, they are the fire access points. I am willing to donate those out of my GR1 boxing if it helps you finish this one, I have a set in a GR3 kit that I can use as a reference for a replacement.

10 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

If it's the one's that I am thinking of, they are the fire access points. I am willing to donate those out of my GR1 boxing if it helps you finish this one, I have a set in a GR3 kit that I can use as a reference for a replacement.

Thanks John, you keep yours for when you build the kit. I have found some red decals I can use. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

They look great buddy. Can I see some colour variation on those, or is it a trick of the light? Whatever it is, it looks quite effective.

Cheers dude, it’s definitely colour variation using, Tamiya weathering sets and an Ammo mig rust oilbrusher. 

• Like 1

Found some more missing decals in the spares box, today the Fire Access and fire door decals have been fitted. The fire access came from a SHAR and were very pink. Out with the red paint and very fine brush. 

resized_46ab51f5-f0a4-4b91-a3f5-4532b08d

You can also see in this picture the silver paint added as scratches around the engine bay doors. Getting close to finishing, undecided over a gloss or Matt finish. Early GR1s were gloss, this is an early GR3 out in Belize. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

You can also see in this picture the silver paint added as scratches around the engine bay doors. Getting close to finishing, undecided over a gloss or Matt finish. Early GR1s were gloss, this is an early GR3 out in Belize. 

The Modellers Datafile on RAF Harriers that I have would suggest a matt finish as appropriate, GR.1's had a matt varnish applied from 1970 before a polyurethane coating was applied later. RAF Wittering's GR.1A's arrived in Belize wearing the standard scheme of DG,MSG/LAG where XV787/02 'Hot to Trot' had a locally applied wrap around camo added.

HTH

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Early GR1s were gloss, this is an early GR3 out in Belize. 

The pictures in the Harrier Boys book of the Belizian based aircraft all look matt to me but that could be down to the weathering process as they permently outdoors, hot sun and tropical rain tend to fade paint fairly quickly.

• Thanks 1

Finished. Happy with this, the best model I think I have built in a long time. 

resized_7f9b1620-376b-49b7-9e30-d1cd882f

resized_9a4103a2-def0-4704-9d14-6bb55143

resized_76629fa1-79f0-4533-b9f0-74da4cc2

resized_e5b86ab4-443e-44cb-b2a4-e32d807f

resized_0639395e-d930-47da-b8d5-ef1dfaf3

resized_6dfa24a3-f4f5-4743-8241-671211e0

resized_6b12954b-9b55-40b7-b14e-d2777b10

resized_82555aa7-0d75-476e-826d-eba2bfec

A big thanks for all the help and comments along the way. 

Now where’s that other sharkmouth kit gone?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Stunning Harrier mate, well done on finding a scheme that isn't often seen. It looks great with a set of 'Sharks Gnashers'. There is  just one thing though, I think that the map of Belize is upside down. :wicked: :lol:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Stunning Harrier mate, well done on finding a scheme that isn't often seen. It looks great with a set of 'Sharks Gnashers'. There is  just one thing though, I think that the map of Belize is upside down. :wicked: :lol:

On closer inspection it looks like he has taken Mrs Nozzel’s tea towel. :tumble:

• Haha 3

Congratulations on a super build.  The Harrier looks great with teeth (although maybe a set of talons would have been more appropriate ;)). 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...