Revell /Hobbyboss.

ocatlub

Judging the amount of stencils and price of current Revell kits I would rather buy Hobbyboss boxes from China and deal with the decal problem later instead of paying 30€+ for a 1/72 F-16 with no decal options and 15 or plus euro for a decal sheet

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite

Still haven't heard owt from Revell about their alleged QM2 Platinum Edition nor much about the release date for their 1/48 Lancer Platinum Edition other than its on pre-order. Wish they'd at least crank these out before pushing out HB kits.

11 hours ago, Silverkite said:

Judging the amount of stencils and price of current Revell kits I would rather buy Hobbyboss boxes from China and deal with the decal problem later instead of paying 30€+ for a 1/72 F-16 with no decal options and 15 or plus euro for a decal sheet

Luigi

Current Revell prices , in the main , compare very favourably with other companies. I suggest however we wait and see before jumping to conclusions about pricing. With (for example) Revell reboxings of the Dragon 1/32 Bf-110 and, Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIE kits at about half the original prices then I , for one, think this is an encouraging move.

Allan

They had imported and reboxed HobbyBoss kits in the past. The HB P-51D Mustang...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-00402-p-51d-mustang--1116560

Concerning prices I don't knew what Revell are doing these days. Trying to fool buyers with old kits (as Texan and P-51D Mustang in 1/72) and selling them at prices that not could said be low...

Revell's Texan, an old Heller kit from 1978...

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/t-6-g-texan.html

/André

Edited by Andre B

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Add to that the italeri kfir, to be able to walk into a shop with a tenner and leave with the Revell boxing compared to the italeri where a 20 pound note is required....

But if that kit had an Tamiya label one had to pay £30...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andre B said:

[...] 

Concerning prices I don't knew what Revell are doing these days. Trying to fool buyers with old kits (as Texan and P-51D Mustang in 1/72) and selling them at prices that not could said be low...

Revell's Texan, an old Heller kit from 1978...

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/t-6-g-texan.html

/André

That's how Revell is doing it since decades. They always had kits from almost ancient moulds and various other manufacturers together with their new stuff. In most cases for similar prices points, as they set them so that the customer don't get confused. Result is a comparably high price for the old stuff, but a good price for the new stuff. You just need to know... 

Generally I don't see much change at all here. Their new Beaufighter e.g. is €39.95. Which is where it is to be expected. 

4 minutes ago, Ka-Efka said:

That's how Revell is doing it since decades. They always had kits from almost ancient moulds and various other manufacturers together with their new stuff. In most cases for similar prices points, as they set them so that the customer don't get confused. Result is a comparably high price for the old stuff, but a good price for the new stuff. You just need to know... 

Generally I don't see much change at all here. Their new Beaufighter e.g. is €39.95. Which is where it is to be expected. 

Yes, we knew...

But what are Revell doing with the hobby continuing selling those kits to people that doesn't knew?

The sad thing is that today Revell is the only main stream producer in many shops in Sweden. Airfix, Italeri, Academy, Tamiya and Hasegawa has left the building...

56 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Yes, we knew...

But what are Revell doing with the hobby continuing selling those kits to people that doesn't knew?

The sad thing is that today Revell is the only main stream producer in many shops in Sweden. Airfix, Italeri, Academy, Tamiya and Hasegawa has left the building...

It isn't difficult nowadays to do a little background research into the history of a kit. That said, I don't think Revell can justify charging 2019 prices for kits maybe 20,30,40 years old.However, it would be unfair to single Revell out for this policy. I don't think there is a manufacturer out there that hasn't charged up to date prices for out of date (if I may use the phrase) kits. At least Airfix has the nous to put the Vintage label on their Vintage classics range so customers know (or should know) what they are getting. Even there however, I question some of their prices. £45 for the 50 year old Saturn V kit? No thanks. My choice of course. I think most of the Vintage range is reasonably priced

Allan

Lets see what they bring along!

The ICM MiG-25 or Eduard MiG-21 sells expensive ....

Others like the Hasegawa  F-4 FGR-2  sells cheap in comparison....

Widespread availability in Europe is assured though... at least temporarily!

Edited by exdraken

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

[...] I don't think Revell can justify charging 2019 prices for kits maybe 20,30,40 years old. [...] 

Allan

As indicated earlier, they're doing a mixed calculation on this. Subsidising their new mould kits with that. Their target customers don't have any background understanding why a 1/72 Spitfire would cost twice the process of the 109, and what that would have to do with old and new moulds, or kits repackaged from another manufacturer.

In an ideal world they would just not sell these old kits anymore... but, well we would then have to complain about even higher prices. 

I feel bad for everyone who gets fooled by them this way. But I'm not mad about the benefits for me who knows the kits... as you said, it's now easier than ever to research this.

(I deliberately did not put into the equation what this could do to the reputation of the manufacturer etc.) 

• Like 1

What Revell have announced in the newletter is that they are selling Hobby Boss kits via their online shop.

Hobby Boss kits/ Revell online shop

They are also selling Eduard accessories for their own and Hobby Boss kits

Eduard Accessories/Revell online shop

All the prices are there e.g. the 1/72 F-5E is €7.99 compared with a UK RRP of £6.25

• Thanks 2

On 5/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, Albeback52 said:

Current Revell prices , in the main , compare very favourably with other companies. I suggest however we wait and see before jumping to conclusions about pricing. With (for example) Revell reboxings of the Dragon 1/32 Bf-110 and, Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIE kits at about half the original prices then I , for one, think this is an encouraging move.

Allan

I know, but sometimes I hate myself for buying through online stores while leaving LHS dry, ten years ago Hasegawa started their crazy price hike, guy from LHS in Viareggio was going crazy as most people refused to pay the price he was asking for and five years later he closed the store.

While leaving in Viareggio I was so used to purchase from the two hobby shops we had there, heck I was even going to Lucca and Pisa from time to time and purchase leftovers, but now price is kinda an overkill.

I really don't like Revell decision of cutting down the stencil supply, could care less about options but since they are releasing mostly special colors I have decided to scavenge ebay and online 2nd hand markets to fetch their older kits.Italeri it's an hit and two misses and they should just open a decal shop and sell their kits with basic decals :D

Luigi

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rod mcq said:

What Revell have announced in the newletter is that they are selling Hobby Boss kits via their online shop.

Hobby Boss kits/ Revell online shop

They are also selling Eduard accessories for their own and Hobby Boss kits

Eduard Accessories/Revell online shop

All the prices are there e.g. the 1/72 F-5E is €7.99 compared with a UK RRP of £6.25

Am I blind, or is it indeed impossible to sort by scale in the shop?! 

On 5/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, Nocoolname said:

Still haven't heard owt from Revell about their alleged QM2 Platinum Edition nor much about the release date for their 1/48 Lancer Platinum Edition other than its on pre-order. Wish they'd at least crank these out before pushing out HB kits.

The B-1B Lancer is scheduled for release in June while the Queen Mary 2 kit is scheduled for November/December.