Tiger I Ausfürung Afrika ###Finished###

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will build the early version of the Tiger I. This operated first in North Africa. 

The kit is from Tamiya and it will have a few extra's on it. I have got some etch for the air inlets, a metal gun barrel and some friul tracks for the early version. The tracks are already build as I nicked them off from a older kit.

Here are some pictures of the box and content.

IMG_4774 IMG_4775 IMG_4776 IMG_4777

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

Hi Arnie. Good to see you here but your photos don't seem to be working for me. Looking forward to seeing your project in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Welcome Arnold, hope your well. As Stix mentioned no pictures, looking forward to your build.

• Like 1

I've always like the Desert Tiger. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I have the Friul ATL25 tracks for my Tiger (Fruhe) and I've had a bit of play with them. They don't seem to be as well made as their Nashorn Winterketten tracks for example - with more flash, poorer fits between the links (not all the pin holes line up) so a bit of bending is required, and many pin holes need to be cleaned out. Possibly the bad tooling is a result of these particular tracks being amongst Fruilmodels first ventures into manufacturing white metal tracks? Still, you can't beat Friuls and I'm actually looking forward to making them! I have my own method for fixing them, and don't rate the methods shown in videos!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

nice choice Arnold!

I've found those Friulmodel tracks are either really simple to assemble or real pains. I have around 8 sets floating about in various projects, the easy ones just use a simple pin, but the set for the Panzerhaubitze 2000 (SPG) uses two really small pins from either side! The M1A1 set you have to also add pads to each track.  That said assembling them I find is a nice "Zen" moment....the repartition just makes me drifting off..... :elephant:

• Like 1

On 16 mei 2019 at 3:29 PM, Badder said:

I've always like the Desert Tiger. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I have the Friul ATL25 tracks for my Tiger (Fruhe) and I've had a bit of play with them. They don't seem to be as well made as their Nashorn Winterketten tracks for example - with more flash, poorer fits between the links (not all the pin holes line up) so a bit of bending is required, and many pin holes need to be cleaned out. Possibly the bad tooling is a result of these particular tracks being amongst Fruilmodels first ventures into manufacturing white metal tracks? Still, you can't beat Friuls and I'm actually looking forward to making them! I have my own method for fixing them, and don't rate the methods shown in videos!

Rearguards,

Badder

I have builded quit a few sets from friul and it is always different between sets. But I always manage to build them and as you said they look good.  Luckely these are already build. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Here is a update. I have placed the link arms and made up the wheels. Here are some pictures.

IMG_4778 IMG_4780 IMG_4779

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Hi guys,

Some progress on the build. I have placed the rosters on the engine top, made partialy the turret including the metal gun barrel and I closed the hull.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_4781 IMG_4782 IMG_4785

I also made the wiring for the head lights. they were made from some brass wire.

IMG_4784 IMG_4783

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 7

Hi guys,

Another progress. I have done the back of the Tiger.

Here are two pictures.

IMG_4789 IMG_4788

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 6

Hi Arnold,

All looking very neat and tidy - unlike mine which looks like it's been in a battle already! Keep up the good work,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi guys,

again a update on the build of the Tiger. It has gone well and it is alread at the stage of getting painted. 

Here are some pictures of what has been done today.

I started with the left skirts. I saw them appart to change the  look. I also made some  damage to them for the looks. these skirts were seldom in good condition.

IMG_4790

and now placed on the model.

IMG_4791 IMG_4792

And this is the right side. I left this standard and just made some damage to them.

IMG_4793

And now the model is ready for some paint. Here are two pictures of the model.

IMG_4794 IMG_4795

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 8

Hi Arnold,

Great progress, extremely neat and tidy. Loving the wired-up headlights.

I am going to have to disagree with others about the side skirts though. Sawing them apart is definitely a good idea, BUT I think your damage is too slight and too regular. It looks like someone has gone along the skirts with a pair of pliers and nibbled a tiny bit of metal out of them every few feet. Personally, I'd put some big bends and dents in most, but not all of the front and rearmost panels and maybe bend those 'sawn off' 2nd panels as well?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Arnold. Excellent progress- it's looking very impressive. I like what you have done so far with the side skits but I agree with Badder - some of the damage looks a bit too regular with a similar number of minor dings in each section. With a bit more work they will look fantastic.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1