KoPro Avia S-199 "Mezek"...Cold War hold-over for the 109 shelf...

My next build, while I am waiting for the FROG GB to begin, will be this little Czech number from around 1950.  In retrospect, I should have built this for the most recent WarPac/NATO GB, but whatever...I am building it now.  😁  The profile and sprue shot is below.  The mouldings look pretty good and include some PE and some metal gun barrels for the underwing cannons, which I will be using!  I was thinking of building the Czech police version with the red nose, but they didn't have the cannon fitted.  So it's RLM02 for me!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll start in later today...

--John

• Like 9

I had in mind building one IDF S-199. Following with interest!

Cheers / André

Ps.

What did the Czech police force doing with their aircrafts? Chasing ballons?

Edited by Andre B

7 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I had in mind building one IDF S-199

Thank you Andre.  I have built the KoPro IAF Avia and it build quite well.  This is, for the most part, the same kit but with a few extra parts.  Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

What did the Czech police force doing with their aircrafts?

I am not really sure.  I assume liaison activities?

Edited by John D.C. Masters

7 hours ago, Andre B said:

What did the Czech police force doing with their aircrafts? Chasing ballons?

Possibly scouring the country looking for the idiot who put a Jumo 211 into a perfectly good 109G?

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, azureglo said:

Possibly scouring the country looking for the idiot who put a Jumo 211 into a perfectly good 109G?

I guess the question was whether they had somehow flying 109s, or grounded ones due to a lack of engines...

Edited by exdraken

14 hours ago, azureglo said:

Very funny.  Yes....what a dog!  Or 'Mule' as they were called.

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

I guess the question was whether they had somehow flying 109s, or grounded ones due to a lack of engines...

I think they had their aircraft without the motors and the factories were still tooled and ready for production.  

Nice to be home...my own coffee, my own bed...my modelling bench!  I worked on the Mule before I left for the weekend.  The interior, office, cockpit, and assembled the underwing cannons.

spacer.png

Then I closed it all up the next day, assembled the wings and test fitted the wings-to-fuselage.  It was a nice clean fit underneath but the wing roots will need some filling in for sure.  One side is tight, the other not so much.  Oh well.  Nothing I have not encountered before on these kits.  Par for the course, as they say.

spacer.png

I am looking forward to getting back into this today and perhaps even starting something else, something pre-WW2 perhaps! 😉

--John

• Like 4

One nice aspect of this kit is that there is none of that fancy, complex masking of the other 109 builds.  Except for the rectangular pieces on the fuselage sides for the markings...nothing.  So I can go ahead and build to my hearts content before I think about priming.

For now...all the oil coolers, superchargers, vents, underwing guns, ammo covers, wings, stabilizers, etc...all on.  I'll mask the canopy later and get that on board.  Then I will add all the little doo-dads, seal up the gaps and prime.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

Everything is all primed...

spacer.png

I have added the lighter grey-green on the fuselage sides where the marking will be. I have measured the decals (3cm x .9mm) and will mask that area off on both sides before adding the RLM02.  I actually used the RLM02 and just lightened it a bit.  The smaller pieces are painted and ready for the final assembly.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 6

With Flickr being down for almost 3 days, I have  o choice but to try to update this with GooglePhotos...which seems to have worked fine.

The lighter area of the fuselage is masked, so I went ahead with the Vallejo Air RLM02.  Lovely colour, imho.

spacer.png

And then unmasked, the lighter 'grey-green' is, I feel, a perfect shade.

spacer.png

I'll start in on the decals this afternoon.  Can I say the Mule will be finished tomorrow?

--John

• Like 4

On 5/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, azureglo said:

They had a warehouse full of DB605’s ready to install in the airframes.........but it burned down.

Then someone found the Jumos and had an idea. A bad one as it turned out, but an idea all the same.

I’ll tag along for the build please as I like this version. I still have one of the 1980’s vintage kits in my garage AMARC somewhere......

Trevor

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

They had a warehouse full of DB605’s ready to install in the airframes.........but it burned down.

Then someone found the Jumos and had an idea. A bad one as it turned out, but an idea all the same.

I’ll tag along for the build please as I like this version. I still have one of the 1980’s vintage kits in my garage AMARC somewhere......

Trevor

Actually like most of the folks here, I know about this anecdotal story as I have the same references etc, a pile of 109s in all scales and at least a dozen books on the subject from the Kestrel powered prototype to the Merlin & Hispano powered HA1109/HA1112. And it gets quoted a gazillion times on the net to boot :yawn: I was trying to be humorous not literal...:winkgrin:

• Haha 1

Flickr is still on the fritz so here are a couple of images post-decaling...I am aware of a terrible build error on my part...the 'cheeks' on the side of the nose (for machine gun bulges, I guess) are too far back.  Too late to do anything about it.  You live, you learn.  Still, I think it's looking good.  I will add only a tiny bit of weathering as this aircraft did not see combat nor doI think it flew a whole lot.

As of today, Saturday, 25/5/19 18:43hrs there are no images.  Sorry.  Google photo doesn't work very well and flickr is still acting up. The RFI will up soon.

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
Blame Flickr
  • Like 1

The Google photo images have disappeared...I am finished with the build!  Here is one image.  I will start a RFI thread soon.  Flickr isn't working great either.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

21 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

The Google photo images have disappeared...I am finished with the build!  Here is one image.  I will start a RFI thread soon.  Flickr isn't working great either.

I use postimage and don't have any hassle.

Stuart