Jagdtiger 1/35 Tamiya

RT Nevada

Base coat of dunkelgelb on! I ended up using tamiya xf60 lightened with xf2 10:1 ratio. I think I’m pretty happy with the results. I’m probably going to go with tamiya xf64 red brown and xf67 nato green for the camouflage, but that’s to be determined still haha. Well here she is so far

0DC26C41-A258-4F35-9EB4-7CB238F85A85

FA4F01A8-7E49-49B4-800A-569508CBE32A

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WOW - I just built a 1/72 in the Blitzbuild GB - GREAT FUN - This looks amazing and I'm loving the aerial - I'll tag along for this journey if that's OK :popcorn: Steve

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WOW - I just built a 1/72 in the Blitzbuild GB - GREAT FUN - This looks amazing and I'm loving the aerial - I'll tag along for this journey if that's OK :popcorn: Steve

Of course! And I rather like the aerial too haha. It’s my first use of them on a vehicle and I really like the little extra zing it adds to the vehicle. Let’s cross our fingers I don’t screw it all up with the upcoming camouflage paint :whistle: 

• Like 1

Nice work RT, I have one of these in the stash to build, I bought mine when it was first released, that didn't have a star aerial either.  I'll sit on the bleachers and watch the show.  :hypnotised:

• Like 1

Alright, this is my least favorite part of modeling: the paint job. I debated leaving it in solid dunkelgelb. In my research on the vehicle I’m trying to depict I read everything from; the vehicles were solid dunkelgelb, to red primer with big dunkelgelb spots, to olivgrun base with dunkelgelb and rotbraun stripes, to just olivgrun and dunkelgelb. My head was spinning that’s for sure. I found two different profiles, one from an Otto Carius tamiya JT and another provided to me by @Sancho Panzer, thank you very much for that too by the way! I pretty much came to the conclusion that no one really knows what these vehicles were painted up like, and I could use a little artistic freedom :hmmm:. The only solid base I could find was that it appears there is three colors in the black and white photos so it was more than likely Tri color, but definitely not ambush scheme (which was a relief to me as I didn’t even want to try to conquer that one.) So I basically just went with a dunkelgelb base with “field applied” green and brown stripes. Well, here it is so far: 

1A8A7393-2410-4DAB-990B-125991D456E9

418C9A50-1A00-4272-B0A2-CD624AA36D37

765F7AA2-28D1-427F-9D8C-58495ED5FD77

I think the giant beast approves?

F7796B5D-729B-4DD0-A0DF-14AB0A0100D1

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Forget looks, it obviously smells right , so it's passed the corgi test.

Like the cammo RT - simple but effective.

He was a little unsure of it at first but then decided that he’s not afraid of any cat, not even a hunting cat :analintruder:

• Haha 3

Looks fantastic RT, the camouflage pattern is looking good. Your antenna set is adding so very nice detail.

• Thanks 1

Hey RT - I love the colour scheme - it's not a part of the job I'm looking forward to - but you've nailed it.

• Thanks 1

Nice progress. Are you the first to get a camo scheme on?

It's a good job that's a dog there and not a cat. If that were my Molly the aerials would have been swiped off within seconds and probably the JT would be on its back waving its likkle tracks in the air.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Nice progress. Are you the first to get a camo scheme on?

It's a good job that's a dog there and not a cat. If that were my Molly the aerials would have been swiped off within seconds and probably the JT would be on its back waving its likkle tracks in the air.

Rearguards,

Badder

I think I might be the first camo of the group build but I’m not sure?**edit** @PlaStix awesome king tiger was the first camo of the group build and completed!* I was lucky enough to get a lot of progress done on the build over the past long weekend here in the states. And then I was somehow able to find an extra hour or two a day after work to mess around on it so the progress has been good. And if that’s the case with your cat I better hurry and get this thing complete because in about two weeks my wife and I are adopting two kittens our friends have been fostering. Maybe I can train them that models are friends, not food haha.

Edited by RT Nevada
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I like your dunkelgelb mix rt, I'll keep that in mind for mine, your looks great painted up, great job, did you paint freehand or mask it up? 

Thanks! And I just free handed it. I tried to give the appearance of field applied, so when I painted it I basically created two lines and colored in between them. 

• Like 2

Now that is looking superb in it’s camo colours! Very nicely done! :clap2:

And yes mine was painted and finished but it was just a Toon kit! 

Kind regards

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Not much new to report. Just some tool painting, and a mess of road wheels painted. I also made some quick stencils up and painted on the tactical numbers. I’m not at all pleased with how they turned out. They look out of scale but they’re not too far off from the size of the decals tamiya provided. I’m hoping a super light dusting of tamiya buff paint will tone down the tactical numbers and camoflauge. Also I think the weathering will help a bit too. It doesn’t matter too much tho because most of the vehicle will be covered in brush and tree bits as the original at Iserlohn was practically a moving bush haha. But hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to get a little more work done so I can seal it up and do the decals. On a side note I got a nice mail haul this week. A little “lots of overtime at work” present to myself and my wife got me an early Father’s Day present since I was placing an order. Gonna be on a paper panzer kick the next few months!

AA3349F7-B565-4152-AD22-D5AD1C6CC0A0

04F541E5-532F-467C-B764-ED6DD116EE80

7AD3DD97-61E7-483E-AEAF-218493364DBB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RT Nevada said:

AA3349F7-B565-4152-AD22-D5AD1C6CC0A0 

Nice work RT - I have a question if I may...

I noticed my spade / shovel has that raised bit on the front half - like yours in the picture above.  Pardon my ignorance - but was it a metal retainer on the hull to hold it in place - I'm stumped.

39 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Nice work RT - I have a question if I may...

I noticed my spade / shovel has that raised bit on the front half - like yours in the picture above.  Pardon my ignorance - but was it a metal retainer on the hull to hold it in place - I'm stumped.

On this kit it looks to be some sort of retainer/cover with rivets on it. But on other kits I’ve built sometimes it’s just a plain shovel with clamps attaching it without a retainer for the spade end. I’ve seen pictures of both types but I’m not sure the rhyme or reason behind some having them and some not? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greeting from the deserts of Nevada, where it’s starting to feel like summer now 🥵. Not too much progress this week, it was a busy one at work. My masterclub tracks came in the mail so I started on those but they’re going to take me a while to complete. I did decal, pin wash, and flat coated the jagdtiger and now I’m kind of trying a dot filter with oil paints. This is my very first time trying this technique so if anyone has any comment or critiques or helpful hints I’m all ears!

this side has no filter on it yet:

5D67D02C-9345-47B3-BF15-9E90451BD11B

And this side and roof has had a one applied to it:

10BE7B42-B260-416B-B84C-BFE593B251BF

I really like playing around around with this technique. But it’s hard for me to really conceptualize where to apply it, and really how to apply it properly. I’ve watched a few helpful YouTube videos but it’s still hard to replicate it as properly as it’s shown on the video. The roof area I’ve just tried to make it look like dirt and grime accumulated from foot traffic use. The sides is where I’m kind of trying to figure out how best to use this technique. But anyways hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to get some more progress done on the weathering and the tracks. Thanks for looking! 

• Like 4

Looks as though your dot filter is fine RT.

I first came across filters when skinning aircraft in computer games.  There the idea was to break up large areas of monotonous (monotone) colour; add a sense of age / wear & tear; and to harmonise colour combinations.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks as though your dot filter is fine RT.

I first came across filters when skinning aircraft in computer games.  There the idea was to break up large areas of monotonous (monotone) colour; add a sense of age / wear & tear; and to harmonise colour combinations.

Thank you! And that’s probably the best way I’ve heard the dot filter technique broken down yet, to me atleast haha

• Like 1

Here’s a little weekend update! Got one side of tracks complete and now working on the other side. These master club tracks are beautiful but they definitely require some time to assemble. This week I got the weathering mostly done but I’ll save a photo for that for later. Hope you’re all having a great weekend and happy Father’s Day to the dads out there!

• Like 5