Jagdtiger 1/35 Tamiya

RT Nevada

Hey everyone, looking forward to starting this jagdtiger! Here are some shots of the box and a quick spruce shot. I bought an RB metal barrel and Eureka wire tow cable set to add a little extra detail. This will be my first group build so I’ll try to keep up on the updates and show the progress as I go!

177144DB-5877-48A7-A062-39CD35C812B0

9B2BA3EA-3BC7-4529-9F49-FEADC1A2B587

• Like 10

Hi RT and welcome to your first group build. Hope you have fun. That is a fine looking kit which I haven't seen before. I will follow your build with interest. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi RT,

Welcome to the GB. This will be my fourth (I'm a relative newcomer to GBs) but I''ve done enough to KNOW you're going to have great fun, especially with that huge hunk of armou

I've not built one of those yet, but I've seen plenty of fantastic JTs and one thing I will say is they always look MUCH better when a few of those side skirts have been knocked off. So, if you do nothing else with regards to damage, make sure you do that!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi RT,

Welcome to the GB. This will be my fourth (I'm a relative newcomer to GBs) but I''ve done enough to KNOW you're going to have great fun, especially with that huge hunk of armou

I've not built one of those yet, but I've seen plenty of fantastic JTs and one thing I will say is they always look MUCH better when a few of those side skirts have been knocked off. So, if you do nothing else with regards to damage, make sure you do that!

Rearguards,

Badder

I was thinking of having all the skirts knocked off haha. I do agree they look much more “mean” (not that they don’t as is) without the side skirts. The kit comes with decals for the 653rd heavy Panzerjäger battalion but I might try to represent a vehicle from the 512th.

Edit: I seem to be having problems inserting a video clip, but there’s a few good YouTube videos of the 512th. Good jagdtiger footage of them roaring into a town square.

Edited by RT Nevada
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

Good jagdtiger footage of them roaring into a town square

That's when they were surrendering to the Americans I presume. Certainly shows that they could move quite well when they were running right. Are both track types in the kit? 

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That's when they were surrendering to the Americans I presume. Certainly shows that they could move quite well when they were running right. Are both track types in the kit? 

Yup that’s the footage. And they certainly do look like they moved along quite well for a near 80 ton vehicle when they were moving haha. This kit does include the belt type track and link and length type as well. But I might order a set of fruil or masterclub tracks this weekend. 

2 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

Yup that’s the footage. And they certainly do look like they moved along quite well for a near 80 ton vehicle when they were moving haha. This kit does include the belt type track and link and length type as well. But I might order a set of fruil or masterclub tracks this weekend. 

Masterclub beat the Fruils hands down. One of our club members did a demo with them a while back and if they did 1/48th I'd be a good customer. The latest ones are the work of a genius (or a madman). Sergey reads and writes english perfectly but claims his spoken is not so good. I think he undersells himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Masterclub beat the Fruils hands down. One of our club members did a demo with them a while back and if they did 1/48th I'd be a good customer. The latest ones are the work of a genius (or a madman). Sergey reads and writes english perfectly but claims his spoken is not so good. I think he undersells himself.

I agree, I’ve only used both one time but I enjoyed working with the masterclubs more. The fruils required more clean up and what not to get them to fit together well. The masterclubs required almost no clean up. The only problem I had with the masterclubs is some of the little resin track pins they come with backed out after I burnished the tracks. But I think that might have been a bit of operator error haha. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going RT, I don't know about you but this is my least favourite job.

Mine too haha. I will usually just put on some music and go to town. The music helps a bit but it’s still a tedious job.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, looking forward to starting this jagdtiger! Here are some shots of the box and a quick spruce shot. I bought an RB metal barrel and Eureka wire tow cable set to add a little extra detail. This will be my first group build so I’ll try to keep up on the updates and show the progress as I go!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:52 AM, RT Nevada said:

177144DB-5877-48A7-A062-39CD35C812B0 

Lovely choice of kit RT, although looking at the box art closely, I think the 'Spruce shots' are actually 'Douglas Fir shots'

I jest of course. Nice progress with the wheels. Always best to get them out of the way ASAP in my book!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great to see this underway - and I'm pretty sure the wheels are the least favourite part for most AFV modellers. Ah well............ the rest is usually great fun!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

A little update, got the suspension and rear of the vehicle mostly assembled. Hopefully today after work I can work on the gun breach a little bit! Sorry for the poor lighting on the photos. I forgot to get pictures yesterday afternoon so I took them this morning before work and I leave for work while it’s still dark out. Maybe one day I’ll be able to get my photography skills up to par 🙃

1E10F29D-B50E-4858-A0A2-A70338DB1115 881BBEC7-597F-4593-A1A8-1112FDD9D202

• Like 5

Back with an update after a few days! Assembled the gun, and did a little work on the upper hull. I ordered a dragon antenna set and attempted my first try at scratch building an antenna base. I think it came out alright for a first attempt, definitely room for improvement on future endeavors tho haha. Anyways, I’ve primed the barrel and will paint the fighting compartment later tonight so I’ll be able to hopefully seal this thing up this weekend. Here’s a few photos of progress so far.

0864DC2B-6C1E-4A74-A640-FF18667260AC 292A3CCE-B9BC-473A-8ED6-D941270480E4 ACF27E48-01BE-4DD2-894E-98453EA1192B 1EFBE807-CDB1-41F8-A0B3-90429F0FA5AA

• Like 6

Nice progress RT, not seen the antenna set before. It's a bit of a shame tamyia don't provide the antenna bits.

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress RT, not seen the antenna set before. It's a bit of a shame tamyia don't provide the antenna bits.

Thanks Ozzy, and I think they’re a another version of this kit where they do provide the antenna mounting parts but I think it’s been discontinued? But I just happened across someone’s build blog and saw they were using this dragon antenna kit then ended up finding it on eBay for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Hi RT,

Maybe the roof was blown off by a Hawker Typhoon, so you can show the gun and internals, all damaged?

Nice work though.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1