1/72nd KP Spitfire Mk.Vc, 249 Sqn, Malta 1942

Hiya Folks,

Another addition to my Malta Spitfire collection and my first using the excellent new decal sheet for Malta Spitfires by DK Decals. Towards the end of 1942 Malta`s Spitfire`s went onto the offensive with fighter bomber sorties against targets in Sicily to support Operation Torch and they continued to do so during early 1943 in the run up to Op Husky, the invasion of Sicily,.....and a number ran up bomb logs including this aircraft, JK879, T-B of 249 Sqn. 

In this photo of the aircraft the pilot is Sgt Hughes RCAF;

928b575d-b3d3-46a3-a8b4-f89714e44995.JPG

And here is my representation of the same aircraft,...... I used XF-17 FLAT SEA BLUE to represent the blue grey upper surfaces with Azure Blue undersides, the side door was cut open and a vacuformed canopy was used to have the hood slld open ;

resized_f96efbd1-e2d1-4c6a-974a-514e3734

resized_4c6f5e7c-3e6e-4ad2-a2aa-b88c46ac

resized_bd9ab93f-ce7f-4501-a3c2-942a7cf7

resized_2358c5e4-4b32-4c9f-825f-25a18710

resized_09678595-b6cb-4015-998a-20ca6ef1

resized_432b5eec-faf9-4255-a87d-50d01a1d

resized_d7b440e6-bc4f-43da-aa4d-0c38e576

I`ve just noticed that the back of the canopy has slipped upwards,......oh dear,...... and I forgot to weather the tyres!!! I may sort both issues out asap and maybe add a pair of underwing bombs from an Eduard Spitfire, utilising Beaufighter style bomb racks!

All the best

Tony 

• Like 54

26 minutes ago, ArmouredSprue said:

looks really nice. How was it building this kit?

Cheers mate,...... yeah built up really well actually,...... nice little kit.

Very nice model.  I like the KP/AZ kits too. 

I do have a criticism of those decals though.  The width of codes TB and the bomb tally look a bit thick and heavy compared to the wartime photo?

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 6:48 AM, malpaso said:

I do have a criticism of those decals though.  The width of codes TB and the bomb tally look a bit thick and heavy compared to the wartime photo?

Cheers

Will

I know what you mean Will,.... but not much I can do about that,..... I can live with it so don`t worry too much! Considering just how many Spitfire`s are crammed onto the sheet,......the DK Decals are still very much worth getting,...... I suppose I could have altered them with a bit of fine brush work,..... but I didn`t!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That looks great Tony. Interesting paint jobs on the Malts ones. I've got one of these KP Vc kits, but the wings on mine look oddly shaped: both too short in span and too pointy at the tip. Yours look much better-proportioned. Did you take some remedial action?

Justin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

That looks great Tony. Interesting paint jobs on the Malts ones. I've got one of these KP Vc kits, but the wings on mine look oddly shaped: both too short in span and too pointy at the tip. Yours look much better-proportioned. Did you take some remedial action?

Justin

Thanks Justin,...... yeah I sanded the trailing edges and wing tips and this seemed to help. 

Cheers

Tony

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Looks good to me!  My KP Mk.Vc is more or less permanently stalled due to the $%#@ing crap kit canopy.

Thanks Jackson,..... that is partly why I elected to use a vacuformed canopy and mount it open,...... plus the detail inside the cockpit is rather nice.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking Spitfire Tony,  great scheme too.

Great work as always fella.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... means a lot pal,.... hope you are keeping well?

4 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Very nice indeed Tony, seeing a Spit with bomb mission markings is rare in my experience so to see yours is a nice surprise. Superb weathering too and an all round good job on what was one of the greatest defensive battles in history, I must visit one day.

Thanks mate,...... yeah the first Spitfire`s to carry bombs were on Malta when they were fitted with bomb racks from Beaufighters under the wings, for offensive sorties against Sicily. It was later refined and made standard on the Mk.IX. 249 Sqn had quite a few Spits carrying bomb logs. 

Malta is a beautiful place,..... maybe a bit touristy since the early 90`s when I first visited,..... but Grand Harbour is an awesome sight that I never get bored of. Mdina is special too and this is where the fighter pilots from RAF Takali were billetted, overlooking their airfield. 

I do think that the epic battle of Malta would make a brilliant film,...... done to top standards like `Band of Brothers',..... the strong sunlight, beautiful Mediterranean island, aircraft, the story of the siege,..... the international cast of Allied aircrew,.... not to mention the naval war, civilians and Army,....... it would be stunning. ....but hey,...what do I know?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

A terrific looking VC, Tony.  A great paint finish as always.  I seriously 'need' a few VCs from Malta, North Africa and CBI.  Do you happen to know if the DK sheet includes marking for Johnny Plagis' 'Kay', BR321, 185 Squadron?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific looking VC, Tony.  A great paint finish as always.  I seriously 'need' a few VCs from Malta, North Africa and CBI.  Do you happen to know if the DK sheet includes marking for Johnny Plagis' 'Kay', BR321, 185 Squadron?

Thanks Mate,...... yes Plagis BR321 is on the sheet, ,.....here is a link to the sheet instructions;

72070_Malta_acesZS.jpg

All the best

Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Mate,...... yes Plagis BR321 is on the sheet, ,.....here is a link to the sheet instructions;

72070_Malta_acesZS.jpg

All the best

Tony

Great.  Thanks Tony.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

I do think that the epic battle of Malta would make a brilliant film,

I can't believe it has not been done either, we know so much more about it now it would be a modern classic. I went to the new Bomber Command memorial in Lincoln  where they have an animated map that covers a whole wall and shows the bomber campaign of the Allies and the Axis. I noticed a little dot in the Med that stay illuminated through most of 1942, Malta under siege, and it struck me how hard they were punished.

• Like 1

Well there was “The Malta Story” though Alec Guiness didn’t seem particularly engaged in it as the romantic lead.  No wonder Muriel Pavlov went off with Douggie Bader!

• Like 2