Mark's Tiger 1 Ausf. E (late version)

MarkSH

Hi all,

I am going to join in with this:

47195978411_4efa5a1e63_b.jpg

40877062393_1644b966ce_b.jpg

I have bought some PE grilles by Aber which will be my only concession to aftermarket stuff. I have however bought a Tamiya Zimmerit applicator tool with which to spread and detail the "Zimmerit in a tube" (NO MORE NAILS), wish me luck.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Good luck and welcome Mark, looks a nice kit looking forward to see the zimmermit applicator in action.

Hi Mark. Great to see you here. These Tamiya kits make up into fine looking Tigers. Like Ozzy, I'm looking forward to seeing the Zimmerit application.

Kind regards ,

Stix

I’m building the same kit but have gone with the Tamiya Zimmerit upgrade set so will be interesting to see how it compares with using the tool

I picked the mid version up from a charity shop about 12 months ago so will be very interested to see how you do the zimmerit.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

That was my first kit upon return from a 35yr break. Lovely kit, falls together. I used a pyrograph to melt the zimmerit into it. Gassed myself. Silly iimedea.

In future I'll use the 'sticker' type zimmerit. (I have Tamiya's 'Late' in the stash) However, I am really intrigued by your choosing of No More Nails. I've not seen anyone use that before. I assume it cures fairly quickly so you'll have to add and work a small patch at a time?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm glad that the Zimmerit method I've chosen to try has interested a few people, FYI I found a video made by The Salisbury Model Centre:

It seemed like a pretty cheap and easy process to me so I'm going to try and replicate it.....and I'm sorry, I will put my hand up to wanting to test it out to see if I was making a rod for my own back:

47798184212_d13cc88e1c_b.jpg

47798184432_ac88c82e06_b.jpg

Like the video I used masking tape for both general tidiness and to create some chipped areas which leaves a quite nice relief effect.

I bought the Tamiya Zimmerit tools which with a couple of shims, fit nicely into my X-acto handle.

Anyway...I promise that's all I've done

In answer to @Badder's query, yes it does cure quite rapidly so a small section at a time, both of the above examples were completed separately in one hit.

Sorry for jumping the gun.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Oh I forgot to thank my dearest SWMBO for agreeing to let me visit the Tank Museum in a couple of weeks when we are in Dorset ostensibly for a quiet couple of nights at our favourite hotel to celebrate one's birthday!

Isn't she good to me!

• Like 1

Thanks for the video link Mark.

Hmmmm. That looks pretty bloomin' good to me! I've been steering clear of putty type zimmerit, purely because I wouldn't trust it to stick, but that No Nails seems to stick like ...er... glue. The Milliput, I don't get on with at all.   Still, I feel I should give it a bash. Not for this GB though.

Don't worry about jumping the gun, I've cut a panel from the rear deck of my Tiger and made a start on scratch building an engine. Only an hour or so of work TBH.  So long as you don't go over 25percent of the build, you won't get disqualified !

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 2