Confederate States Air Force Mirage F.1

5 hours ago, exhausted said:

In your scenario is the CSA still using slaves and not succeeding with its agriculture? 

How did it ever afford Mirages? Seems more like a MiG-21 country to me

In my scenario, the CSA had long ended slavery.  In fact, I could imagine the Confederacy ending slavery before the Union.   Slavery did drive the economy of the South before the Civil War.  The combined monetary worth of the slave population in the nation exceeded that of railroads.  But, slaves contributed nothing to the economy but their labor.  I would guess Confederate politicians would've recognized the error of depending on an agricultural economy during the rise of the Industrial Age.   

Perhaps the French cut them a great deal, lol.  Or maybe their Mirages were license-built in the CSA?   The MiG-21 was an early choice actually for this project.  I just happened to already have the Mirage kit. 😉

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What a great machine! What a great model! :) I miss those F.1s :(. There is something about Dassault jets that is just right!

Martin

Thanks Martin!   I appreciate your comments a lot! 😀

4 hours ago, spaddad said:

Would they still have slaves?

No, not in my scenario spaddad.  But it is just that, a "what if" scenario.   Slavery in the context of the 19th Century in the United States was somewhat complex.  While we rightfully see it as always wrong, it was seen by many through a different lens then.  There were examples of that complexity that boggle one's mind.  One would be the number "free" black Americans who owned slaves of their own.   In our view today, that seems almost incomprehensible.   The vast majority of white Southerns owned no slaves at all, and had almost no hope of ever having the sort of income required to do so.  Yet, in spite of that harsh reality, they fought hard to preserve the right to own fellow humans.  Maybe it was regional pride but a large part of the reason was slavery provided a class that was perpetually "below" them, no matter how hard was their own lot in life.   

Many people don't realize that there were five slave states that did not join the CSA.  Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware and newly-created West Virginia all retained slaves throughout the Civil War.  In fact, President Abraham Lincoln's famous "Emancipation Proclamation" freed only those slaves in "territories in rebellion against the United States".  It did not apply at all to slaves still living in the aforementioned states.  And since citizens of the CSA did not recognize Lincoln as their president (they had their own, Jefferson Davis), his order was, of course, unheeded.

My CSAF project was just an exercise of my imagination.  I make no defense of the cruel ideology of the Confederacy and am sorry that the citizens of my own state of Texas fell for the secession nightmare despite fervent warnings against doing so by Sam Houston.  Houston correctly foresaw the folly of secession and predicted it's outcome, only passing away before he could see himself proven right.  

Lol, I guess an old history teacher can be taken from the classroom, but it's impossible to take the "classroom" out of him!   Sorry if I go on too much!  Thanks for everyone's comments! :clap2:

Edited by Gary Brantley
edit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

A like well deserved Gary. A really nice model & a very interesting if slightly polarising back story. What if indeed, history is full of bits that could have gone another way & it is interesting to speculate on the influence of the outcome on today without going too far down the rabbit hole.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A like well deserved Gary. A really nice model & a very interesting if slightly polarising back story. What if indeed, history is full of bits that could have gone another way & it is interesting to speculate on the influence of the outcome on today without going too far down the rabbit hole.

Steve.

Thank you Steve!   As a very liberal person, I hate that old myth of "southern heritage" that some people subscribe too.   To me it's but a euphemism for racism and repression.   As I said two years ago, I'm really sorry that my home state Texas was part of the Confederacy.   There were people here who saw the folly of that move but they were ignored or worse, punished for their view.   Texas is still full of redneck yahoos who wave that flag and defend their ancestors.  Not me.

For me, a history nerd who was fortunate enough to also teach that subject, this project was strictly a mind exercise and an opportunity to play "what if" with a little creativity.    I'm really worried about our nation now, and really am quite exhausted, or "burned out" over politics in the USA.    My wife and I began watching the streaming series, "The Man in the High Castle", based on Phillip K. Dick's book.   In it, the Axis Powers  have won WWII, and it begins in 1962, where the USA has been divided between Germany and Japan since the Germans nuked Washington, D.C. in 1942.    Two episodes were all we could take.  It was just too dark and depressing for us.     It's a what if that I just couldn't bear.   Thanks again for your comments Steve!    Glad you like her! 🍻

4 hours ago, kiseca said:

One of my favourite planes and I like the backstory. That's a good looking build!

Thanks so much kiseca!  🍻 I appreciate the encouraging words sir!  Glad you enjoyed her. 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Absolutely superb Gary, great imagination on the back story and the Cameron backdrop really sets it off, good job!

Thank you so much Peter!  🍻 That means a lot to me my friend, so glad you liked her!  And please excuse my tardy reply; the internet was "down" all over Cameron from early afternoon until sometimes after we retired for the night.   I awakened to find us back online.  🙂

And while I'm here, I would like to also thank kiseca, steve60 and dashellis for liking this model.   It's much appreciated!

Cheers everyone!!  :D

Edited by Gary Brantley
add an ess
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Again, I give thanks to 2996 victor and tonyot for their "likes" for the old Mirage.   I appreciate that you guys had a look and liked what you saw.  😀 Thanks so much! 🍻

And I'd like to add my thanks to tonyot for "liking" this one!   Appreciated a lot tonyot.    

Cheers!  🍻