This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Steve Coombs

A fragrant hobby

Being quite new to the wonderful world of Vallejo, I have just sprayed some surface primer on the Airfix Phantom FG1 I am going to do in the 25th anniversary scheme.

Has my nose been abused by too many chemicals in the service of the art, or does this stuff actually smell quite nice? Compare and contrast with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, which I am adamant shrivels nostril hairs.

I am not advocating glue sniffing as a recreational activity!

Vallejo paints do tend to have a very distinct, sweetich scent to them.

Mig Ammo paints have an odd but not unpleasant odour to them too

I love the smell of lacquer thinners in the morning....

It smells of pain free airbrushing!!

You my friend will enjoy the honeyed sweetness of Mr Leveling thinner, making feeling you warm and fuzzy as you smile sweetly at the on switch of your extractor saying softly to yourself

"On switch? Extractor?  Man I was going to do something with, um something, yeah. My that thinner smells nice, sooo nice, stone groove baby....."

I always though that the Tamiya acrylics smelt of blueberries for some reason.

Am I alone in this?

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's just me but I've never noticed Vallejo acrylics having any discernable smell at all, Mr Hobby acrylics do though it's difficult to describe. I've always thought Tamiya extra thin cement is reminiscent of pear drops.

Favourite modelling related pong is from old tins of Humbrol enamel from the 70s and 80s, completely different smell to the modern Humbrol paints.

Edited by -Ian-

On 5/13/2019 at 8:23 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Being quite new to the wonderful world of Vallejo, I have just sprayed some surface primer on the Airfix Phantom FG1 I am going to do in the 25th anniversary scheme.

Has my nose been abused by too many chemicals in the service of the art, or does this stuff actually smell quite nice? Compare and contrast with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, which I am adamant shrivels nostril hairs.

I am not advocating glue sniffing as a recreational activity!

Vallejo primers do indeed smell like some detergents, every time I prime a model with them I feel like having collected clean clothes from the laundry 😄

On 5/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, azureglo said:

On switch? Extractor?  Man I was going to do something with, um something, yeah. My that thinner smells nice, sooo nice, stone groove baby....."

Man do I know that feeling well. Me and a good friend pulled an all nighter working on models in high-school(late 80's). We were using Tamiya products and airbrushing Lacquer thinner in a small windowless room for about 8 hours. :hypnotised::drunk:We came out of there so light headed and messed up. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, Tzulscha said:

I always though that the Tamiya acrylics smelt of blueberries for some reason.

Am I alone in this?

I think you might be.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:49 AM, -Ian- said:

Maybe it's just me but I've never noticed Vallejo acrylics having any discernable smell at all,

I use them quite a bit and get a wet clay damp earth smell from them. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle