Blackburn Shark : Matthew Willis : MMP Books

I tried ordering this from Amazon, but the order was at first delayed then cancelled. 

I see it advertised by various book sellers but not on MMP Books.

Was the book ever published  or has its publication been delayed or even cancelled? 

Don't want to waste my time ordering a book which isn't going to be published.

Regards

Simon

From my experience, MMP Books are notorious for their publication dates slipping. Be assured that if it is announced, it will be published - eventually.

Yes, from 1974. There was supposed to be a series 7 books on various aircraft used by Canada during WW2, but I've only ever found 2. This one and the second one is The Liberator and Fortress.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mhaselden said:

I'd love to see one of those volumes on the Grumman Goblin.  Just sayin'... :)

Me, too!

This is inside the Liberator &  Fortress book:

47997261068_7634f478dd_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris, I Abed for that book and it’s fairly expensive.

BTW, I found an old issue of Avions last week at Milan, and it had an installment of a series of Shark articles. The issues might be worth tracking down. If of interest, I‘ll post some details.

I checked with Matt- yes, the book will be coming, they've been held up by one section, but progress is happening.  Amazon or other booksellers are out of MMP's control.  Apologies for the wait!

bob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Thanks Chris, I Abed for that book and it’s fairly expensive.

BTW, I found an old issue of Avions last week at Milan, and it had an installment of a series of Shark articles. The issues might be worth tracking down. If of interest, I‘ll post some details.

Was it a recent issue or an older one? I wonder if there were some good pictures of Sharks in FAA service? I've seen more pictures of RCAF Sharks in my book than I've ever seen of Royal Navy.

Chris

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Was it a recent issue or an older one? I wonder if there were some good pictures of Sharks in FAA service? I've seen more pictures of RCAF Sharks in my book than I've ever seen of Royal Navy.

Chris

It’s an ancient one, #85 for April 2000, which carries installment 3 of 3. It’s on the Portuguese Sharks and - you guessed it - Canadian ones, with some good looking scale drawings. If there’s some logic in it, 83 and 84 will have covered the FAA. Regrettably 85 is a loner, but maybe Sylvie has back issues of the other ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, gingerbob said:

I checked with Matt- yes, the book will be coming, they've been held up by one section, but progress is happening.  Amazon or other booksellers are out of MMP's control.  Apologies for the wait!

bob

Thanks for checking Bob

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This just in from Matt:

The Shark book is finally finished. I don't know exactly when it will be out, but I can say with certainty now that it is all done and therefore WILL be out at some point in the not too distant future - all the design work is done, illustrations and plans, and pages proofed - it only remains for it to be printed.

I know we had that annoying situation where people's pre-orders were cancelled by Amazon, but if anyone has pre-ordered in the meantime, those orders should go through.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received the book this week. I must admit that at first glance I'm really impressed: lots of sharp and fairly large photos, 1/72 scale drawings featuring rivet rows represented where appropriate, and several nice colour profiles. The factory photos revealing numerous construction details are of particular interest. The main text covers the Shark's background, development, service in FAA, RAF, RCAF and PNAS, and colours & markings. Basic technical data and a listing of units using these aircraft are also included. To my knowledge, this book is the most complete reference on the Blackburn Shark available, recommended! Kit manufacturers, take note too!

Some sample images:
20200116_103752mfskh7.jpg

20200116_103858mhcjw1.jpg

20200116_103930mcfka2.jpg

20200116_103952m4ijyu.jpg

20200116_104021mjyjkm.jpg

20200116_104042mtvj5w.jpg

20200116_104105m3kjss.jpg

20200116_104124mvak3w.jpg

20200116_104145m6gjqg.jpg

20200116_104214meuk8i.jpg

• Like 2

I have a copy at last! Very impressed and a bit surprised that it came in A4 size having been used to a smaller size on previous publications from this publisher. For the modeller I think this should be of great value.

Keith